What is so wrong about driving in the middle lane at 70mph

Comments

• AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what's so hard about it, if there's plenty of space in the left lane, move into it. It's got nothing to do with you if anyone else is breaking the law, you do your part and let them worry about theirs.

And as repeatedly pointed out on this thread, in the OP's example there is not plenty of space in the left lane.

This thread is so frustrating because some people simply don't read properly.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I do the same - for the sake of safety! Better to get out of those people's way IMO ...

A couple of posts ago you disagreed when someone suggested to move over if possible when someone comes up faster behind.
    Forum Member
    And as repeatedly pointed out on this thread, in the OP's example there is not plenty of space in the left lane.

If that's the case then those in the middle lane would be overtaking not hogging, so what's the point of the thread?

Maybe their gripe is with tailgaters then........
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is true. Though it's not as frustrating as driving on the motorway with people who simply can't drive properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    A couple of posts ago you disagreed when someone suggested to move over if possible when someone comes up faster behind.

This is getting really tedious, Deacon (no offense).

I said drivers should not be expected to get out of people's way.

I also said I do move out of the way of tailgaters as they are driving dangerously. If they are so keen to cause accidents I would rather not be involved.

As for the point of the thread, why not go back and read Post #1 and have a think about the points which are made?
    Forum Member
    This is getting really tedious, Deacon (no offense).

I said drivers should not be expected to get out of people's way.

I also said I do move out of the way of tailgaters as they are driving dangerously. If they are so keen to cause accidents I would rather not be involved.

As for the point of the thread, why not go back and read Post #1 and have a think about the points which are made?
    They didn't say expected, they said if you are able, you disagreed.

If you do pull over then that's the courteous thing to do regardless of what you think of the passing motorist.

If there is not enough space on the left you don't pull over, so there's a very good chance you are overtaking, therefore there is no offence being committed.

As for the OP's 30secs, depending on circumstances that could be more than enough time to pullover and let faster cars through, and if they are any good get back out again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't say expected.

No, I did :confused:

If I pull over to let a speeding tailgater past, it's not because I am being courteous. It's because I think they are a dangerous idiot and hope they get caught and banned from driving asap.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you should only move into the left-hand lane when

a) lane one is empty and

b) there is no one approaching behind you in lane 2

?

So essentially when there is practically no one else on the motorway?

Read again and try to absorb. Move into the left hand lane when there's an appropriate gap, and if you anticipate that you will soon need to overtake move back out of it. It's really not as hard as you middle lane drivers think it is :)
    Forum Member

If I pull over to let a speeding tailgater past, it's not because I am being courteous. It's because I think they are a dangerous idiot and hope they get caught and banned from driving asap.

Let's try another approach.....

If you move over, when you are able, regardless of whether it's courteous or reluctance, to get out of the way of tailgaters, why did you disagree with the original statement?
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Clearly they do apply - because as your (ludicrous) point stated, if you weren't to pay attention to them, you'll end up on a different motorway.

Destination signs, and lane filter indicators, aren't the same thing, but they can be mixed up together. Lane filtering isn't always marked obviously.

(For example, an overhead destination board may not have the destination names directly over the relevant lanes. While in Italy, lane one of a motorway is always marked with a filter arrow as it approaches an exit, even though the lane usually carries on straight as well.)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those people who get annoyed that they might have to move over to lane 3 if they want to maintain their speed of 90 mph. They think the "slow" people driving at the speed limit should be more "considerate" and move out of their way.

That's it. Everyone scramble into lane one, I'm a comin' through.
    Forum Member
    Not quite right Trucks are limited to do either 55-56 or 57MPH.

EU directive states HGV speed limiters have to be calibrated to 56mph (90kph).
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you should only move into the left-hand lane when

a) lane one is empty and

b) there is no one approaching behind you in lane 2

?

So essentially when there is practically no one else on the motorway?

WTF?
    Clearly the driver is in the left hand lane in the first place in this example and she is talking about when they should be noving out to the quicker lane.

Words fail me.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Destination signs, and lane filter indicators, aren't the same thing, but they can be mixed up together. Lane filtering isn't always marked obviously.

(For example, an overhead destination board may not have the destination names directly over the relevant lanes. While in Italy, lane one of a motorway is always marked with a filter arrow as it approaches an exit, even though the lane usually carries on straight as well.)

So basically, you think it's OK because you don't want to pay attention to signs and lanes etc?

"I can stay in the middle lane because sometimes the left lane goes off and if I am not paying attention I will end up on the wrong road."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I do think many of the haters on this thread need to refer back to the OP, which describes "weaving" between the 1st and 2nd lanes.

The key question here is - how much space does there need to be ahead of you in lane 1 to make it worthwhile switching back over to the left?

It was established many pages ago that half a mile is a good distance.

Half a mile is not a good distance.....

You get out of quicker traffics' way when you have the opportunity to do so,

This does not mean you have to wait for a half mile gap between two vehicles in the e]left lane!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was not me - someone else said a driving expert told them this. I think it's a much better and safer solution to stay in the middle lane with all the other drivers at 70 mph, until there is a good half-mile gap ahead. Otherwise, you will be weaving back and forth, taking over one truck after the other, and potentially getting stuck while you are overtaken by all the other cars sensible enough to just stay in the middle lane.

If you find it difficult to judge, with experience, how big half a mile gap is - how about a gap which will allow you to stay in the left-hand lane for at least one minute? This might be easier for you to work out. :)

You clear have no spatial awareness....

You don't follow arbitrarily set limits. You work it out for yourself as you drive along, taking into account what else in happening on the road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you said above apart from the BIB.

People should NOT be expected to "get out of the way" of drivers who decide they want to speed (with the exception of ambulances, the police etc., which should go without saying). Especially considering there is usually a third lane they can use to overtake if they really want.

So you have a hatred of speeders basically.
    Even though the speed limit is arbitrarily set and takes no account of road conditions, traffic flow, etc
    Forum Member
    Those people who get annoyed that they might have to move over to lane 3 if they want to maintain their speed of 90 mph. They think the "slow" people driving at the speed limit should be more "considerate" and move out of their way.

Don't recall anyone expressing their annoyance if they have to move to an outer lane to overtake a slower car, that's how the motorway should run.

I think you will find their annoyance is aimed at those traveling in an overtaking lane unnecessarily where they are holding up traffic.

You still haven't said what motorway you use that's only clear after midnight.....
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If there is appropriate space on the left hand lane for you to pull into then you should be in it regardless of if someone is tailgating you or not :confused: People with poor spacial awareness are just as dangerous as tailgaters.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,737
    Administrator
    Cut out the personal insults lest you wish your posting privileges revoked.
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, i dont understand why this is such a difficult question for anybody? Why would you want to sit in the middle lane when there is nothing in lane one, showing how ignorant you are and annoying the hell out of everybody else forced to funnel into the outside lane to overtake you? Why would you want to act in such a bloody minded way? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to pull over? And if you are worried about it not being safe to change lane on a motorway, then you shouldnt be driving on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orchover wrote: »
    Sorry, i dont understand why this is such a difficult question for anybody? Why would you want to sit in the middle lane when there is nothing in lane one,

Can you point out someone on this thread who has said they want to do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still haven't said what motorway you use that's only clear after midnight.....

I have no idea which motorways are only clear after midnight, because I do not tend to monitor the volume of traffic on the roads. The motorways round here near London seem to be busy most of the time when I use them, though.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea which motorways are only clear after midnight, because I do not tend to monitor the volume of traffic on the roads. The motorways round here near London seem to be busy most of the time when I use them, though.

Motoways don't need to be clear or even quiet for you to use the left hand lane for considerable distances. I use the M1 daily and the M25 frequently and manage to spend most of my time in the left hand lane, going at a fairly constant 70mph.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you point out someone on this thread who has said they want to do this?

The OP for starters. He talks about sitting in lane 2 at 70mph regardless of whether there is traffic in lane 1 or not.
    Then there's the poster(s) who talk about sitting in lane 2 because they don't have to think about pesky things like lane selection or concerning themselves with what anyone or anything else on the motorway are doing.

That ok for starters.