Woman Sues After Man Kills Her Dog With A Hoe and RSPCA do not prosecute

BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
Forum Member
✭✭
A woman has raised £1,600 to fund a private prosecution against the former neighbour who killed her pet dog.

Mother-of-three Tricia Wales claims Neville Hill killed five-year-old border terrier Wurzel with a garden hoe following a long-running dispute.

Mr Hill admitted hitting Wurzel with the hoe after it trespassed onto his property but the RSPCA decided not to prosecute him.

Poor Wurzel and her owner :(:cry: .

Here's why the RSPCA couldn't/didn't prosecute:
RSPCA inspector Becky Carter said: "The Animal Welfare Act 2006 says an animal has to suffer for us to prosecute.

"Because the forensic pathologist said Wurzel was hit over the head and rendered unconscious immediately, the dog didn't undergo any suffering."

I hadn't realised that before :( .

Link here.

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well teh guy that did it claimed that her Dog was attacking his...
  • MartinJMartinJ Posts: 10,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not an offence to kill an animal* - only to cause suffering.

Hence the outcome.

You are perfectly within your rights to humanly destroy any animal*

The only thing I think she may be able to get him on is criminal damage - but not sure about that.

* Excluding any animal on the protected species list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    To sue is not going to bring back her dog or punish the man who thinks bashing and killing dogs when they annoy him is an acceptabe way to behave. She should appeal against the decision and keep fighting for a better result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To sue is not going to bring back her dog or punish the man who thinks bashing and killing dogs when they annoy him is an acceptabe way to behave. She should appeal against the decision and keep fighting for a better result.

So what about his Dog that was being attacked?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are being a bit economical with your pieces of the story....... here's the piece I found interesting...

QUOTE: Mr Hill said he had not meant to kill Wurzel but he said Mrs Wales' dogs trespassed on to his land, aggravating and attacking his elderly dog.

He said: "The dog wasn't dead when I put her on the doorstep. It was still breathing and I simply thought she was concussed. If I had thought she was seriously injured then I would have called a vet.

"I did strike the fatal blow but (Mrs Wales) doesn't take responsibility for her dogs, it's as simple as that. It happened as a result of her dogs attacking my dog." UNQUOTE

So she went out and didnt' leave her dogs secure, they trespassed into a neighbours garden and attacked his dog... don't think she has a case to be honest.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    So she went out and didnt' leave her dogs secure, they trespassed into a neighbours garden and attacked his dog... don't think she has a case to be honest.....

I agree - if you allow your dogs to roam free and attack other animals - or god forbid another person, then I'm afraid that another person is well within their rights to stop that Dog attacking.

Its very unfortunate that in this instance the Dog died - but it could have been his Dog that was killed. Was he just supposed to stand back and let it happen, or risk severe injury himself and try to physically restrain the animal?
    Forum Member
    Well if one of my neighbours dogs was a pest and was not looked after roaming the streets and somehow got into my garden with my dog attacking it various times causing annoyance I would report it and get it picked up. I would not beat it with such an object then dump it back on the doorstep of the owners without treatment because I thought it was breathing alright and didn't seem to badly harmed!!!

I guess it just comes down to what sort of person you are and how you feel about animals in general.
  • mootpointmootpoint Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those ho's sure offer a wide range of personal services around Mr Hill's way

on a serious note, i think the bloke was in the right, the dog was attacking his dog
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess it just comes down to what sort of person you are and how you feel about animals in general.

Well obviously you are far superior to the rest of us mere mortals!

Personally if it were my Dog being attacked I would do everything I could to stop that attack - if that meant using force to stop it then so be it.

I wouldn't just stand by and watch my Dog being torn to shreds whilst I was waiting to be put through to the council/RSPCA to get them to come and sort it out!
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit economical with your pieces of the story....... here's the piece I found interesting...

QUOTE: Mr Hill said he had not meant to kill Wurzel but he said Mrs Wales' dogs trespassed on to his land, aggravating and attacking his elderly dog.

if she does not care for her dog properly, or kep him from attacking other pets, then she has no comeback here.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Well if one of my neighbours dogs was a pest and was not looked after roaming the streets and somehow got into my garden with my dog attacking it various times causing annoyance I would report it and get it picked up. I would not beat it with such an object then dump it back on the doorstep of the owners without treatment because I thought it was breathing alright and didn't seem to badly harmed!!!

Oh listen to you, I guess you'd give your dog a biscuit for its trouble while you pop off to make a phone call about the attack :rolleyes:
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This irresponsible woman is completely at fault, if a dog was attacking my cat on my property then it would be dead too, she has no-one to blame but herself, I bet if she'd let the dog run free on a motorway she'd blame the motorist if it was run over, the RSPCA should be prosecuting her for not looking after her dog properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I could smack a dog over the head with a hoe. That's pretty violent. At the end of the day its not the dogs fault it roamed into another garden. Its a dumb animal it doesnt know any better and didnt deserve the attack. I think the guy acted horrendously if I'm honest. Whats wrong with getting the hose out?
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I could smack a dog over the head with a hoe. That's pretty violent. At the end of the day its not the dogs fault it roamed into another garden. Its a dumb animal it doesnt know any better and didnt deserve the attack. I think the guy acted horrendously if I'm honest. Whats wrong with getting the hose out?

Come on, if a dog is attacking your pet or god forbid your child are you going to spend time going to the shed, get the hose out, connect it up to a tap and then turn it on, of course not, you grab what ever is to hand and try to get the attacking dog to stop, ideally without it attacking you (i.e. give it a whack).
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If a dog came onto my land and started attacking my dog, I'd hit it with whatever was close enough. I'd like to think I would just scare it with one hit and it would run off, but if it resulted in its death, so be it.

He was in the right in my eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand by what I said. I don't think it'd even cross my mind to pick up a blunt instrument and deliberately try to concuss the dog. I've had dogs off the lead attack my dog on the lead, one time it got a bit bloody (my dog still has a scar on his cheek from it), but I didn't get a weapon. I ended up screaming a bit before physically separating them by grabbing the collar on my dog and yanking him away. (The other owner kicked his dog to stop the fight). Maybe that was a bit stupid but I'd rather take the risk that possibly killing a dog that doesnt know any better.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...the RSPCA don't mention this when they are on TV launching their 'Emergency Appeal' to raise funds (which, ironically, must cost a fortune!).
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe he didn't have the hose at hand. Personality id like to think id have the presence of mind to give the dog a kick to get it off....but in the heat of the moment my thought would be to protect MY dog who is my friend and I owe loyalty too. Not someone else's.

This dogs death is at the hands of its irresponsible owner. It didn't deserve to die and I feel sorry for it but I don't blame him unless he repeatedly attacked it after it was already incompasitated.

Dogs ARE 'dumb' animals (relatively speaking) and like small children its up to the owner to insure the dog does not get itself into dangerous situations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a dog was behaving aggressively to me, my child, or my dog, I would hit it.

I'd just be trying to scare it away but I'd still hit it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree he should have alerted the owner immeadiately or taken it down to the vets, but if the dog was attacking his dog, I don't blame him for trying to protect his own. If my dog was attacked I'd try and stop it.
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable how many people think this man was in the right to hit such a small dog so forcefully that it killed him. Scare him off yes. Murder him no.
    Forum Member
    callum9999 wrote: »
    I agree he should have alerted the owner immeadiately or taken it down to the vets, but if the dog was attacking his dog, I don't blame him for trying to protect his own. If my dog was attacked I'd try and stop it.

And I would protect my dog. I would not have left my dog to ring the Dog warden, I'd probably have done that long before as the article suggests the dogs were always around. However as we don't know the absolute facts it is very hard to judge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable how many people think this man was in the right to hit such a small dog so forcefully that it killed him. Scare him off yes. Murder him no.

You can't really know how forceful it was without being there though can you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable how many people think this man was in the right to hit such a small dog so forcefully that it killed him.

Oh my God, just saw the pic on the link. It was a tiny little terrier. I was expectig a rottweiler or bulldog or something. That makes it so much worse. You could even pick up a little dog like that to stop it fighting.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mother-of-three Tricia Wales claims Neville Hill killed five-year-old border terrier Wurzel with a garden hoe following a long-running dispute.
    The incident happened in September last year after Mrs Wales visited the shops and left Wurzel and her other two dogs in the house.

Three kids, three dogs, long running dispute. Hmm, I'm beginning to make unsupported, uncharitable judgements.
    Mrs Wales, 60, of Yapton, near Arundel, Sussex, has launched a private prosecution against Mr Hill, alleging criminal damage.

Looks like the nasty man damaged her property.
    She said: "I have had cheques from people I haven't even come across. People have been supportive of me as they are appalled at what has happened to Wurzel.

I abhor people hurting animals but I hope, in this case, she loses every penny of the misguided benefactors money ... and has to pay costs on top.