If SCD has gained viewers but DOI loses viewers...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
...the question is, why ?

Comments

• SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

SCD is better :D

I think the main issue is there is more variety in the dances on Strictly. Apart from the themes the DOI routines are very similar throughout the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then that would be because each contestant on SCD has a different choreographer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then that would be because each contestant on SCD has a different choreographer.

I mean in terms of the dancing styles. There's much more variety.

Once you've seen one headbanger you've seen them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calibre of celebs, number of ad breaks, the fact that you never really get to know the pro's like on SCD. I used to love DOI but I hate all of the things listed.

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    SCD is better :D

I think the main issue is there is more variety in the dances on Strictly. Apart from the themes the DOI routines are very similar throughout the series.

No, it isn't better! No idea why SCD has more viewers. I don't watch it myself, and this has been discussed over and over. :yawn: There's no accounting for taste. DOI still has good viewing figures does it not?
  • jacksinclairxjacksinclairx Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love both but over the past few years Strictly has excelled where DOI has failed, DOI is like the cheaper tackier version of SCD but i still enjoy watching
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it isn't better! No idea why SCD has more viewers. I don't watch it myself, and this has been discussed over and over. :yawn: There's no accounting for taste. DOI still has good viewing figures does it no?

Well not really no, the last series was a flop ratings wise. It's in deep do do if it goes head to head with Call the Midwife again this time around. If ITV had any sense they'd move it back to Sarurday nights.

I've always enjoyed both shows, but DOI is the tackier cousin of Strictly. DOI will never attract the celebs that Strictly does because Ice skating is far more dangerous than ballroom dancing , so we'll always end up with washed up has beens and former soap actors.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Well not really no, the last series was a flop ratings wise. It's in deep do do if it goes head to head with Call the Midwife again this time around. If ITV had any sense they'd move it back to Sarurday nights.

I've always enjoyed both shows, but DOI is the tackier cousin of Strictly. DOI will never attract the celebs that Strictly does because Ice skating is far more dangerous than ballroom dancing , so we'll always end up with washed up has beens and former soap actors.

If DOI is a flop then 95% of TV programmes are bigger flops... people are being far too harsh on the show because they're comparing the viewing figures to past years. Look at Coronation Street, X Factor - their numbers have decreased too. If I remember rightly DOI did the same, or probably better than the Christmas episodes of Emmerdale: so is that a flop?

As for the 'tackier cousin of Strictly', if that's your opinion fair enough, but I would much rather watch people push themselves to learn a really challenging and quite dangerous new skill, and I find a show that does that to be at the more classy end of 'reality TV'. Nothing against Strictly, but it's a much easier option for celebrities, so no wonder more of them will sign up for it.

What's to say that people won't get bored of Call The Midwife like they have with Dancing On Ice, anyway?
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question if you think it is so tacky then why watch it?. Personally although I like both I prefer DOI as that is a much more difficult and dangerous skill to have to learn which I can testify to from my own attempts to learn to skate..

That is why it is harder to get the big big name celebs because they either don't want to take the risks themselves or if they still have ongoing work commitments then whoever they are working for will not necessarily want them to risk being injured.

Ray for example wasn't allowed to skate when he was doing other shows in case he injured himself. Different in that was after he had won the show but using that as an example for the ones who could be in ongoing work prior to signing up for the show. Not everyone will be accomodating to having their stars do something like DOI.

Yes DOI could do with some tweaking but that doesn't make it tacky. My changes would be having an ice dance judge on the panel as I think it needs that as I think Robin is too focused on the solo stuff with him being a solo skater and that is not what ice dance is about. I would ditch Tony Gubba as I think he brings nothing to the show and I would replace him with Dave Lamb the Come Dine With Me narrator who I think would be brilliant for the commentary. I would also try and have the pros more involved with the choreo which I was thinking again today watching the tour highlights as one of Matthew and Ninas routines (The Way You Make Me Feel) was pretty much a step for step copy of Chris and Briannes tour routine it seems that T&D are getting a bit lazy with the choreo and while yes they have to work within the limits of the celebs just picking up an old routine and redoing it just seems a cop out have the pros involved they spend the most time with the celebs so they will know how far they can be pushed take the celebs based in the North they get given their routine on a Monday or Tuesday and that is the only time they see T&D until the weekend again so surely it would be better to have the pros and the coaches work on the choreo and then you would get more variations in your routines and there wouldn't be some celebs being favoured with better routines over others as has happened in previous years.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean in terms of the dancing styles. There's much more variety.

Once you've seen one headbanger you've seen them all.

Have said it before but there is only so much you can teach novice celebs on the ice - it's bloody difficult even for those more talented. Getting the pros more involved wouldn't make too much difference IMO, though I would have no objections.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy both. DOI can be very exciting with the right celebs. I can't stand the joke ones like Todd Carty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    If DOI is a flop then 95% of TV programmes are bigger flops... people are being far too harsh on the show because they're comparing the viewing figures to past years. Look at Coronation Street, X Factor - their numbers have decreased too. If I remember rightly DOI did the same, or probably better than the Christmas episodes of Emmerdale: so is that a flop?

As for the 'tackier cousin of Strictly', if that's your opinion fair enough, but I would much rather watch people push themselves to learn a really challenging and quite dangerous new skill, and I find a show that does that to be at the more classy end of 'reality TV'. Nothing against Strictly, but it's a much easier option for celebrities, so no wonder more of them will sign up for it.

What's to say that people won't get bored of Call The Midwife like they have with Dancing On Ice, anyway?

You have to remember that Sunday nights have always rated incredibly well for ITV. More people are watching TV on Sunday evenings than at any other time of the week. So DOI getting 7 million and under in that slot week after week can be considered a flop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to remember that Sunday nights have always rated incredibly well for ITV. More people are watching TV on Sunday evenings than at any other time of the week. So DOI getting 7 million and under in that slot week after week can be considered a flop.

:confused: No it doesn't! Seems like you're clutching at straws IMO.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We'll find out.............................................................
    ..................................................................................
    .................................................................................
    After the break!

:mad:
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I enjoy both. DOI can be very exciting with the right celebs. I can't stand the joke ones like Todd Carty.

Yes I enjoy it as well because there is a lot more chance of a celebrity being maimed for life on DOI. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: No it doesn't! Seems like you're clutching at straws IMO.

It does. Sunday at 8 is a huge slot to get.

1 9.12
    2 8.00
    3 8.93
    4 8.86
    5 8.28
    6 8.15
    7 6.63

There's no denying that the last series was a ratings failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I enjoy it as well because there is a lot more chance of a celebrity being maimed for life on DOI. :D

What a charming person you must be to wish injuries on someone. :mad:

No one deserves to be hurt whether they are a celeb or not and I certainly don't watch hoping to see someone seriously hurt.

Try comprehending for a minute if you were a friend or family member of someone taking part would you like to see people wishing injuries on them and if one of the pros gets injured it also risks their career again something that shouldn't be wished on anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does. Sunday at 8 is a huge slot to get.

1 9.12
    2 8.00
    3 8.93
    4 8.86
    5 8.28
    6 8.15
    7 6.63

There's no denying that the last series was a ratings failure.

I said it had good figures generally. This is true. :rolleyes:
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »

Well yes, and if you'd read my post properly you'd see I stated that Strictly attracts bigger names because its not as dangerous as ice skating, although if you think ballroom and Latin are easy then you really have no idea. I tried to learn a cha cha cha during a Zumba class earlier this year and couldn't get it at all, it's was really hard. Dancing is not dangerous in the way that skating is, but its far from easy.

I've loved DOI from the start, but the last series wasn't very good at all. There were so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start, Matt was so good he had it in the bag from the off and the lack of competiton made it feel boring and predictable. Christine and Philip have no chemistry at all, either a new female host should be found or they should try and get Holly back. Philip is now one giant ego and is completely insufferable, if he's not shouting at the viewers like they are all profoundly deaf he's telling jokes that are about as funny as piles. T&D who are the stars of the show are getting more sidelined as the years go by, and some of the pros get obvious special treatment. No wonder Fred and Mel left. Must be galling to get a dud every year when smug Dan gets a good one all the time.

On the plus side they have a far better celeb line up this year so hopefully there will be a improvement. But I do think the show would be better back on Saturday nights. I worry that DOI is screwed if it goes up against CTM again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, and if you'd read my post properly you'd see I stated that Strictly attracts bigger names because its not as dangerous as ice skating, although if you think ballroom and Latin are easy then you really have no idea. I tried to learn a cha cha cha during a Zumba class earlier this year and couldn't get it at all, it's was really hard. Dancing is not dangerous in the way that skating is, but its far from easy.

I've loved DOI from the start, but the last series wasn't very good at all. There were so many things wrong with it I don't know where to start, Matt was so good he had it in the bag from the off and the lack of competiton made it feel boring and predictable. Christine and Philip have no chemistry at all, either a new female host should be found or they should try and get Holly back. Philip is now one giant ego and is completely insufferable, if he's not shouting at the viewers like they are all profoundly deaf he's telling jokes that are about as funny as piles. T&D who are the stars of the show are getting more sidelined as the years go by, and some of the pros get obvious special treatment. No wonder Fred and Mel left. Must be galling to get a dud every year when smug Dan gets a good one all the time.

On the plus side they have a far better celeb line up this year so hopefully there will be a improvement. But I do think the show would be better back on Saturday nights. I worry that DOI is screwed if it goes up against CTM again.

What is your problem with Dan I have said before he does not get favoured except in the heads of DS posters.

Let me think Dan always gets a good partner yet every year posters on here are moaning he has useless partners and they don't deserve to be in the show etc etc. How was Kerry a brilliant partner? Jen was shredded on here this year as well. Linda, Emily, Roxanne and Gaynor well all average and Hayley IMO just slightly above average but got lucky in her year so how is that getting a good one all the time.

Tecnically Maria has had the best average of partners she in six years has had 4 top four placings but of course that gets conviently ignored because DS posters don't seem to have a hatred of her. Matt again has had 3 top four finishes but no one seems to have a problem with him getting good partners. Brianne has had 2 top place finishes out of her 3 years but again why is it only Dan that gets slated?

So why the issue with him and if I remember correctly Fred and Mel left because they couldn't wait to see if they were going to be asked back because there were other offers so they couldn't wait on the decisions from DOI. Not anything to do with always getting dud partners and I'm sure Kyran would be thrilled to be called a dud given Mel won with him and did pretty well with a popular celeb when she was given Mikey Graham same with Zaraah when Fred came third they really were duds weren't they:rolleyes:
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Well yes, and if you'd read my post properly you'd see I stated that Strictly attracts bigger names because its not as dangerous as ice skating, although if you think ballroom and Latin are easy then you really have no idea.

I never said that dancing was easy, only that it's EASIER than ice dancing.

As for the whole ratings debate, I think ITV know full well that they can't replace DOI with something as popular as they haven't got anything. Look at Wild At Heart, that got less viewers than DOI this year and has now been axed. Viewing figures for virtually all TV shows are down, there are too many channels now for that to change for all but a tiny number of 'blockbuster' programmes IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I prefer DOI... I don't watch SCD.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll find out.............................................................
    ..................................................................................
    .................................................................................
    After the break!

:mad:

:D:D:D:D
    Yes indeed, the farcical l-o-n-g wait for the answer was once, a very long time ago, a novelty, but now, it's just a cheap time filler.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always felt that the judging panel (even with Jason on it) was the least manipulative of panels, and the phone vote seemed to have more meaning than on other shows. I felt that they used to have it about right. However, Jason then gets a stupidly big ego, the producers decide to have loads of stupid twists and viewers drop off.

I don't think it's dead yet, but due to the fact all of the routines are a bit samey, the shelf life of the format is more limited and all the twists and turns don't change that. The format could do with a year off IMHO - then we will look forward to it again. If they keep it on, it will be like the fiXFactor and in dire need of killing.

Edit - And as others have said, WAYYYYY too much repetition and far too many ad breaks.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Eviesmum wrote: »
    Calibre of celebs, number of ad breaks, the fact that you never really get to know the pro's like on SCD. I used to love DOI but I hate all of the things listed.

:(

Completely agree with BIB. In Strictly the pros are as talked about as the celebs!