Breaking News on Sky Sports. Mourinho arrives in the UK

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's often been said that you should never go back , and with the emergence of Manchester City as a serious trophy contenders is going to make it very difficult for Jose to reproduce his previous success he had with Chelsea. One things for sure with3 of last seasons top 4 all having a new manager IMO it's going to make next season the most interesting we've had for years.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    It's often been said that you should never go back , and with the emergence of Manchester City as a serious trophy contenders is going to make it very difficult for Jose to reproduce his previous success he had with Chelsea. One things for sure with3 of last seasons top 4 all having a new manager IMO it's going to make next season the most interesting we've had for years.

It will be hard for Jose to have the same level of domination as he had in his first spell, as Chelsea were at the time miles ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal were on a down ward spiral, this time though despite both City and United having new managers they are still quite close to Chelsea and probably above of them in quality if you go on the last few seasons. Although i expect Mourinho to have success and i have Chelsea as favourites to win the league next season, know one will run away with it.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    It will be hard for Jose to have the same level of domination as he had in his first spell, as Chelsea were at the time miles ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal were on a down ward spiral, this time though despite both City and United having new managers they are still quite close to Chelsea and probably above of them in quality if you go on the last few seasons. Although i expect Mourinho to have success and i have Chelsea as favourites to win the league next season, know one will run away with it.

Not sure you can say Arsenal were on a downward spiral.
    They had just gone the previous season unbeaten.

It will be a close league though, I do agree.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    A random question loosely connected to the gentleman in question - if certain other managers had poked an opposing manager in the eye, do you think they would have got off with such an easy ride from the British press as Mourinho has?

it was pretty unacceptable behaviour really but barely rates a mention among the 'Special One' loving droves.

One rule for one, one for another?
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Not sure you can say Arsenal were on a downward spiral.
    They had just gone the previous season unbeaten.

It will be a close league though, I do agree.

Actually, i forgot Arsenal went the season unbeaten the year before Jose arrived, i thought it was about 2 or 3 years earlier for some reason:o but it was the beginning of there trophy drought after the 2005 FA Cup, maybe i was being a bit harsh on Arsenal. Next season's title race has the potential to be one of the closet and best title races in years.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A random question loosely connected to the gentleman in question - if certain other managers had poked an opposing manager in the eye, do you think they would have got off with such an easy ride from the British press as Mourinho has?

it was pretty unacceptable behaviour really but barely rates a mention among the 'Special One' loving droves.

One rule for one, one for another?

That's exactly what it is.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet he can hardly wait to resume his feud with Pep when Chelsea have to play Bayern Munich.

Pep will be hoping for revenge Athletico Madrid style.;):D
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Chelsea confirm he's signed a 4 year deal. That seems like a lot of compensation they'll have to pay when they sack him......
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another season, another manager for Chelsea, what is new this time?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Chelsea confirm he's signed a 4 year deal. That seems like a lot of compensation they'll have to pay when they sack him......

Maybe he's agreed to settle for a yacht as a compromise deal if the inevitable happens......

He has the City beast to contend with now, who can equally throw silly money around.:p
    Forum Member
    So the media circus with Jose begins again, great manager but i can't be doing with all the antics surrounding him.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another season, another manager for Chelsea, what is new this time?

Werent you wanting moyes sacked before he had even signed for united?

Either way, i think united fans had best get used to a managerial merry go round at old trafford.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

Either way, i think united fans had best get used to a managerial merry go round at old trafford.

I really hope not but I wouldn't be surprised... we'll wait until we are on our 4th from SAF before it's considered a merry go round though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »
    I really hope not but I wouldn't be surprised... we'll wait until we are on our 4th from SAF before it's considered a merry go round though.

Soon be christmas!
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,948
    Forum Member
    I bet he can hardly wait to resume his feud with Pep when Chelsea have to play Bayern Munich.

Pep will be hoping for revenge Athletico Madrid style.;):D

He'll need a target a bit closer to home as well though. Wenger will need to get himself some stronger tranquilisers for next season, I reckon ;)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know i'm a fan of a "rival" team, but I certainly make no bones about how much I admire Mourinho. Certainly one of the best club managers in the world and has the record to back it up.

Chelsea fans must be delighted to see him back.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,814
    Forum Member
    Holloway v Jose will be a media writer's dream!

Good to have some personality back in the Premier league.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Err no I never wanted Moyes to be sacked, so I don't quite know where you got that idea from.

Why should we get used to something like that? What in our history suggests that we will now turn into a club that sacks its managers during their first troubling period?

We give our managers time, and we reap the benefits from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Holloway v Jose will be a media writer's dream!

Good to have some personality back in the Premier league.

You are forgetting Jose v Di Canio, and Di Canio v Holloway.

That should keep them occupied for the season.
    Forum Member
    Err no I never wanted Moyes to be sacked, so I don't quite know where you got that idea from.

Why should we get used to something like that? What in our history suggests that we will now turn into a club that sacks its managers during their first troubling period?

We give our managers time, and we reap the benefits from that.

No you don't. You have not one single bit of proof of that.

Fergie was a one off. The owners never had to get used to waiting for success. They knew that he would deliver it..

You have not one single idea how the owners will react now. This is the first time they have ever had to deal with changing managers.

Fergie had a job for life. It's pretty damn hard to come up with a realistic set of circumstances that would have seen him sacked.

Now though, you have no idea.

Will the owners expect a title next season? Is 2nd enough? Top 4? Top 6? Avoiding relegation? What are Utds targets now?

Put simply, this is the first time you've had a manager who could be sacked. If he doesn't deliver he will probably be sacked exactly the same as any other club would.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jose back ?? I am sure some will still think he is going to PSG or City :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fergie was a one off. The owners never had to get used to waiting for success. They knew that he would deliver it..

You have not one single idea how the owners will react now. This is the first time they have ever had to deal with changing managers.

Fergie had a job for life. It's pretty damn hard to come up with a realistic set of circumstances that would have seen him sacked.

Will the owners expect a title next season? Is 2nd enough? Top 4? Top 6? Avoiding relegation? What are Utds targets now?

Put simply, this is the first time you've had a manager who could be sacked. If he doesn't deliver he will probably be sacked exactly the same as any other club would.

i agree with you 100%

All this is bravado from some united fans. The fact is, the owners, the players and a huge number of fans have never known a united sans fergie.

If he is in the bottom half of the table after a handful games, the fleet street knives will be out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed Richie. Post Busby and pre Fergie United made regular changes.
    Forum Member
    i agree with you 100%

All this is bravado from some united fans. The fact is, the owners, the players and a huge number of fans have never known a united sans fergie.

If he is in the bottom half of the table after a handful games, the fleet street knives will be out!

It's a bloody rare day that we'll agree, but yeh, here you are pretty much right!

Hell, maybe Batdude will be proved right and Moyes will last anything that goes wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure if he's not delivering, with the pressure that comes with previous success at the club, the owners will not hesitate in making a change.

Utd don't give their managers time. They have simply never, in the modern game, had to change.

There is a huge difference.
  • ICT User 77ICT User 77 Posts: 11,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know i'm a fan of a "rival" team, but I certainly make no bones about how much I admire Mourinho. Certainly one of the best club managers in the world and has the record to back it up.

Chelsea fans must be delighted to see him back.

Yep. Great to have him back.

Should be interesting to see the Mourinho/Villas Boas battles, considering AVB used to be on Mourinho's staff so maybe has some knowledge on him and vice versa.

Should be some great manager battles next season.