Options

Are you looking forward to the summer of booze, banter, babes and beer gardens?

Comments

• Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Affirmative.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I spend summers with friends out and about usually at outside gatherings, going down the beach, the park, spending time with the GF. This year is the world cup so no doubt be down the pub with the missus and friends watching England lose lol.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I hate it. I hate the way the pubs get packed with drunken shouty men and you can't go out for a nice quiet drink and/or meal without encountering them. I hate the way the tv schedules are all to cock and you never know when anything is on unless you check. I hate the bloody flags that people feel compelled to stick on their white vans and the sight of fat sweaty blokes wearing England shirts when they couldn't run to the bar, never mind the length of the pitch.

I hate the fact that violent crime, especially domestic violence, increases when it's on. Last time, there wasn't a vacant refuge place in the whole county.

We had hoped to go away for a few days from 16th, hoping that England would have been knocked out by the time we came back, but I couldn't get leave that week or the following one so we're away from 9th. My cunning plans to miss it all by taking sanctuary on an isolated campsite somewhere with only books and birdsong for entertainment have been foiled.

Must order some box sets for the duration. When does it end/

It's not even like you can go abroad and get away from it, it's bloody everywhere.

Its once every 4 years, not ever week or month. The world cup brings a lot of people together, my parents are not really football fans but we come together to watch England and they watch the odd United match with me here and there. There is the side of it where people get drunk and there is loud people shouting England songs but its not as if its all day every day. I think its good that a nation gets behind its football team, even if we do badly we still support our guys out on the pitch.

As for other programmes being delayed... what with catch up services readily available theres plenty of opportunity to watch what you want if you dont like football, same with changing the channel you dont have to watch what you dont like.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pubs to open late for 11 pm games
    I'll prob watch at home though.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one that gets really irked by the term 'banter'?

But yes I will be enjoying pub beer gardens at the weekend like I do most summers. I don't watch football though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Jay from the Inbetweeners is on DS?

Also England will not win the World Cup. Theres a bigger chance of me winning a gold medal at the Olympics.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pub beer gardens are great; however what I cannot stand is the summer ( you know the type, there's one in every Road) all night, in the garden fpur or five gardens away somewhere, pissed, cackling screeching women and men hollering as loud as they can...........4 am......5am......still out there.....:( The worst aspect of it
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not even like you can go abroad and get away from it, it's bloody everywhere.

Wow. You sound like a whole bundle of joy.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

But yes I will be enjoying pub beer gardens at the weekend like I do most summers. I don't watch football though :)

The title was to reflect the attitude the world cup usually brings. I chose those terms on purpose LOL. It's like lad culture x10
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    NO! >:( Today is the first day of winter!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    I might actually watch if there were babes

You can watch the womens FA cup final today at 1630pm.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I can't think of anything worse than an establishment packed to the rafters with men interested in booze, beer and babes. Sounds like hell.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

When I hear that word I reach for my shotgun.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I hear that word I reach for my shotgun.

I'm the opposite, I like it as a word! :p

I'm looking forward to the banter and maybe a bit of booze but I think I'll give the babes and the beer gardens a miss.

People who moan about the world cup really bug me - it's a few weeks out of every 4 years!! I love it, and I love how it brings people together, til we get knocked out of course! :D
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Wow. You sound like a whole bundle of joy.

Indeed I am! :D

Just hate football. And the Olympics. I hate the way these huge events dominate everything for weeks on end. It's not just the 4 weeks or whatever that they're on, the build up to it seems to go on for ever.

Will it clash with Wimbledon, or will it be all over by then?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Won't be watching one match as football is the mist boring thing I can imagine

Won't be doing the rest either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's going to be a wonderful summer of sport. Not only do we have the World Cup and Wimbledon but also the Commonwealth Games, 5 home cricket Tests, the Tour de France in Yorkshire, lots of other bits and pieces - and then the football season starts all over again ;-)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    So the World Cup is upon on and the title seems to set the scene to what England is like when we have ones of those Summers where England are suddenly the greatest team in the world again. Do you like going to the pub and watching the footy? Lounging in the beer garden on a summer weekend afternoon?

Also am I right the whole of England gets this way or is it just in Northern England?

None of the group games are on in the afternoon, the one that is a 5pm kick off is on a Tuesday? So I'm not sure what a weekend afternoon in the pub actually has to do with the football?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I hate it. I hate the way the pubs get packed with drunken shouty men and you can't go out for a nice quiet drink and/or meal without encountering them. I hate the way the tv schedules are all to cock and you never know when anything is on unless you check. I hate the bloody flags that people feel compelled to stick on their white vans and the sight of fat sweaty blokes wearing England shirts when they couldn't run to the bar, never mind the length of the pitch.

I hate the fact that violent crime, especially domestic violence, increases when it's on. Last time, there wasn't a vacant refuge place in the whole county.

We had hoped to go away for a few days from 16th, hoping that England would have been knocked out by the time we came back, but I couldn't get leave that week or the following one so we're away from 9th. My cunning plans to miss it all by taking sanctuary on an isolated campsite somewhere with only books and birdsong for entertainment have been foiled.

Must order some box sets for the duration. When does it end/

So I'll put you down as a 'Maybe' then? :D:D

Actually, I've got a fair bit of sympathy with you there. A pub with a load of tattooed, shaven-headed men bellowing at a TV screen does become a hell-hole. Mercifully, it is only every four years and most of us do have access to a lot of other TV channels.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the group games are on in the afternoon, the one that is a 5pm kick off is on a Tuesday? So I'm not sure what a weekend afternoon in the pub actually has to do with the football?

I'm talking about the general atmosphere or summer altogether. And people will be watching all the games I'd imagine not just the England ones. There's much more exciting teams than England.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Indeed I am! :D

Just hate football. And the Olympics. I hate the way these huge events dominate everything for weeks on end. It's not just the 4 weeks or whatever that they're on, the build up to it seems to go on for ever.

I agree I hated The Olympics I didn't even watch one minute of it I got bored out of my skull with hearing about it more than a year before it even started.

It'd easy to avoid watching it now but it's the hearing about it what is difficult to avoid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The afternoon in the pub is for the pre-match drinking. ;-)

It will be interesting to see how many people try to sneak off home early for the England 5pm kickoff. I bet the rush hour will start at about 3pm.

I still remember everyone going to the pub at midday in 2002 to see the England-Argentina match and then nobody went back to work afterwards.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a football fan, but I'm looking forward to summer and lots of drinking in the sunshine (indoors if wet). I missed most of last summer's nice weather due to being indoors nursing a broken heart, listening to sad songs and watching bleak foreign cinema, and I'm damned if I'm gonna miss another one.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or beer gardens really - I doubt any pubs would be given permission to broadcast into the beer garden surely, it'd all have to be inside! I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know one pub that I've ever been in during the WC that has TVs in the garden :D
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not some bitter Welsh person who wants a England to lose BTW, I would genuinely like them to do well, but please get some perspective on the whole thing. I'm sure other Celts agree with me, it's ridiculous and embarrassing to watch you all sometimes.

It is embarrassing you are right, but it makes people happy for a week so I just let it happen and go with the flow.

I will watch the England games, but I don't hold out much hope. The players should be on performance related pay and have to send the Bentley back if they don't do well. That would sharpen their focus ;-)