Cabinet Reshuffle- Rumours and what you have heard?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It Seems that the Cabinet Reshuffle is only days and if what is reported on the BBC Website about IDS Moving to the MOD and Phillip Hammond or Esther Mcvey Replaceing him DWP and the is also another Rumour doing the round on another thread about Jo Swinson Replacing Ed Davey if the Rumours are to be true:confused:

So what Rumours have you heard about the Upcoming Reshuffle and where do you thing people are going, who staying in post :confused:

Comments

• allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard there's already a thread on this topic.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I have heard that Esther McVey lacks any intellectual depth and would be a disaster as DWP secretary. But she has a scouse accent and is supposedly good on telly so spin will win out over substance.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to one paper tomorrow IDS is reported to ohave said he was going nowhere
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can Gove be shuffled off his mortal coil please?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I have heard that Esther McVey lacks any intellectual depth and would be a disaster as DWP secretary. But she has a scouse accent and is supposedly good on telly so spin will win out over substance.

I passionately disagree with Esther McVeys political views and the arguments she puts forward but I dont think shes an intellectual lightweight at all.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,795
    Forum Member
    On LBC, one of their presenters said he had heard that William Hague might be wanting to quit the Government completely.

That wouldn't surprise me. He only seemed to come back to frontline politics out of loyalty to his party and to help Cameron who was short of heavyweights and Hague, while being a safe pair of hands, has always seemed to be acting as a there in person way but not in spirit. In fact, he's been like that for most of the time since he lost the 2001 General Election.

The problem for Cameron is that if Hague does quit, who is he going to replace him with? The Tories are still mega short of heavyweight politicians and it sounds like older heavyweights like Ken Clarke are going to be given the axe too along with George Young but he needs to go imo.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only rumours I've heard is a 70's Fleetwood Mac album
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can Gove be shuffled off his mortal coil please?

I don't know about "mortal coil" but you might be in for a surprise. I read a couple of articles a few weeks back that inferred that Gove was being lined up for Shapps' job. While that might seem like an odd switch, the job at this stage would involve managing the entire Tory re-election campaign. Presumably the carrot for Gove if he succeeded would be a top ranking job. My guess would be Foreign Secretary.
    Forum Member
    The quicker they get on with this reshuffle the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    The quicker they get on with this reshuffle the better.

Isn't it all happening on Monday? Won't they turn up one by one at Downing Street and we'll gradually get the picture during the course of the day?

(I might have that completely wrong...)
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo Swinson being promoted to Energy Secretary or Scottish Secretary following the Scottish Referendum
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Isn't it all happening on Monday? Won't they turn up one by one at Downing Street and we'll gradually get the picture during the course of the day?

(I might have that completely wrong...)

Thats what the journalist think but its normally done on a Thursday an isn't it stupid to do a reshuffle just before parliament is about to go into recess? Or is it that Cameron think this will be better as it will give the new Ministers a chance to get to grips with their new brief's? If that is what he is thinking, then they are not going to take their summer break? Well they have plenty of other breaks so maybe it won't be too bad for them.

If Gove is moved on as well, who will replace him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats what the journalist think but its normally done on a Thursday an isn't it stupid to do a reshuffle just before parliament is about to go into recess? Or is it that Cameron think this will be better as it will give the new Ministers a chance to get to grips with their new brief's? If that is what he is thinking, then they are not going to take their summer break? Well they have plenty of other breaks so maybe it won't be too bad for them.

It looks like an attempt to reduce any negative media coverage during the summer recess. Doing it so late in the day, when he has stuck doggedly to the same people for most of the parliament, looks like a change to assist their re-election chances. Any other reason and it would have been changed quite dramatically long ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think there's any set date, it's very much the decision of the person doping all the shuffling. In terms of pre-election ones, Brown did his last one on a Friday, Howard on a Sunday and Cameron on a Monday. But as for your second point - yes it makes sense to do it now as, in party political terms, everything is now heading towards the autumn conferences and the more time they have on their new brief, presumably the better they'll be at it.

I don't know who would replace Gove (and I'm far from certain that he will be moved from the DfE) but as I think women might feature heavily in the reshuffle - Greening?
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's any set date, it's very much the decision of the person doping all the shuffling. In terms of pre-election ones, Brown did his last one on a Friday, Howard on a Sunday and Cameron on a Monday. But as for your second point - yes it makes sense to do it now as, in party political terms, everything is now heading towards the autumn conferences and the more time they have on their new brief, presumably the better they'll be at it.

I don't know who would replace Gove (and I'm far from certain that he will be moved from the DfE) but as I think women might feature heavily in the reshuffle - Greening?

If Gove is moved to another job, with all this talk of women going to get a lot of promotions, then I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron promotes Liz Truss to the top job at Education but I'm not surei f she's good enough to do it but she might grow into the job but can we afford to wait for her to grow into the job?. I don't like it that Cameron is going to promote women just because they are women either. It needs to be done on merit not because of their sex.

The one I'm really wondering about is who is going to replace William Hague if he quits the Government altogether? Personally, I think I want him to stay in his current job as a lot is going on in the world and to use Gordon Brown's words "this is no time for a novice", which it almost certainly will be if Hague quits now.

If Hague does quit, then really Cameron needs to be grown up enough to bring back David Davis to the Cabinet but I don't think he will but he should as Davis is the only other Heavyweight I can think of that is on the Tory backbenches. Hold on, if Hague does go, maybe Malcolm Rifkind can be bought back as Foreign Secretary? He's done it before afterall and would be good at it still no doubt.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Gove is moved to another job, with all this talk of women going to get a lot of promotions, then I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron promotes Liz Truss to the top job at Education but I'm not surei f she's good enough to do it but she might grow into the job but can we afford to wait for her to grow into the job?. I don't like it that Cameron is going to promote women just because they are women either. It needs to be done on merit not because of their sex.

The one I'm really wondering about is who is going to replace William Hague if he quits the Government altogether? Personally, I think I want him to stay in his current job as a lot is going on in the world and to use Gordon Brown's words "this is no time for a novice", which it almost certainly will be if Hague quits now.

If Hague does quit, then really Cameron needs to be grown up enough to bring back David Davis to the Cabinet but I don't think he will but he should as Davis is the only other Heavyweight I can think of that is on the Tory backbenches. Hold on, if Hague does go, maybe Malcolm Rifkind can be bought back as Foreign Secretary? He's done it before afterall and would be good at it still no doubt.

Where's that come from re. Hague potentially quitting? I really can't see it as he's probably one of the few amongst the Tory bunch that I regard as having a consistent level of credibility.

Mind you, perhaps that's why he feels so out of place ;-)
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it that Cameron is going to promote women just because they are women either. It needs to be done on merit not because of their sex.

If that was the case they wouldn't be talking about doing it. It's absolute tokenism - why does he have to follow in Labour's tracks?

They should be promoted on merit, not because they're women. It's a completely self-defeating exercise, to say nothing of bizzarely discriminatory.
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    If that was the case they wouldn't be talking about doing it. It's absolute tokenism - why does he have to follow in Labour's tracks?

They should be promoted on merit, not because they're women. It's a completely self-defeating exercise, to say nothing of bizzarely discriminatory.

I think its because of Ed Miliband's baiting that time at PM Q's at how hardly any of the Government front bench had women sitting on there is what got to Cameron. That and that Cameron said he would have a certain amount of women in his cabinet, I can't remember the amount now though.

I think most of the public are not impressed with promoting women just because they are women but I do remember when Margaret Thatcher died, that a lot of young women suddenly seemed inspired that Thatcher had been a PM and the only female one so far but would they have liked her policies had they been alive and old enough to have lived under her?
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the public see it for the absurd tokenism it is. You have a 100% woman shortlist. A woman gets the job. What does that mean? - she wasn't good enough to be there on merit.

It's just nuts, and so pathetically artificial. But then, so are our politicians, to a man (slight pun intended).
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I do remember when Margaret Thatcher died, that a lot of young women suddenly seemed inspired that Thatcher had been a PM and the only female one so far but would they have liked her policies had they been alive and old enough to have lived under her?

You don't have to like her policies to have been inspired by her.

That said, I can't see there being another woman PM anytime soon. As much as I would like to see Angela Eagle get the Labour leadership post-Ed, Theresa May is the only one who has any chance.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I imagine the public see it for the absurd tokenism it is. You have a 100% woman shortlist. A woman gets the job. What does that mean? - she wasn't good enough to be there on merit.

It's just nuts, and so pathetically artificial. But then, so are our politicians, to a man (slight pun intended).

Margaret Thatcher, Gwyneth Dunwoody, Barbara Castle, Shirley Williams, Anne Widdecombe and other towering female political figures didn't need all women shortlists. If they are good enough - they will get picked.

What we seem to get is lots of bright young things who look nice but with little real world experience. We need more women in their 40s and 50s - who have lived life and have something to say.

Of Harriet Harman doesn't always support all women shortlists - at least not when her husband wants to stand for the seat. Such hypocrisy - like sending her kids to grammar schools. One rule for the plebs - and another for her family.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/156818/Harriet-Harman-accused-of-double-standards-over-shortlist
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passionately disagree with Esther McVeys political views and the arguments she puts forward but I dont think shes an intellectual lightweight at all.

She has a short temper when challenged and blusters away. She is as unfeeling as she is thick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    She has a short temper when challenged and blusters away. She is as unfeeling as she is thick.

She's a law graduate.. You don't get to achieve that by being thick.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a law graduate.. You don't get to achieve that by being thick.

There's plenty of law graduates in parliament who are thick enough to think they can pull the wool over our eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    There's plenty of law graduates in parliament who are thick enough to think they can pull the wool over our eyes.

Just as there a plenty of people out there who believe everyone is out to get them and everything is a conspiracy.