Options

Anyone ever been on Lansoprazole?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im 20 and i get pretty bad heartburn, its pretty much after anything i eat. I could eat a cherry tomato and get heartburn almost instantly, or take a sip of vodka and the same thing! Just been to the doctors about it and he just pretty much said okay and prescribed me a months supply of Lansoprazole tablets and said after a month to come off them and if the problem comes back to come back and have blood tests.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used these tablets and if they worked for you?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Omeprazole (which I guess is basically the same thing under a different brand name as the "prazole" bit of the name is the same?) for heartburn for two months.

And it's great .. I have not had a problem at all in that time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my g/f is on them they have been fantastic
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, been on Lansoprazole on and off for years due to excessive stomach acid and Hiatus Hernia. Excellent, but my Doctor will not let me take it for too long. About 6/8 weeks at a time I think. To be effective make sure you take it at the correct time(As prescribed)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Yes, been on it ever since I was diagnosed with my Oesophageal Tumour in March. It's a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) drug designed to reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces. I take 30mg in the morning and 30mg before bed.

Had my tumour (and most of my Oesophagus) out in May and after some awful chemo it looks like its the all clear :), but I've been told I'll be taking Lansoprazole for ever as I have no valve to stop acid coming back up out of the stomach. Handstands are out :(

LCDMAN.............glad to be alive!
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Yes, been on it ever since I was diagnosed with my Oesophageal Tumour in March. It's a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) drug designed to reduce the amount of acid the stomach produces. I take 30mg in the morning and 30mg before bed.

Had my tumour (and most of my Oesophagus) out in May and after some awful chemo it looks like its the all clear :), but I've been told I'll be taking Lansoprazole for ever as I have no valve to stop acid coming back up out of the stomach. Handstands are out :(

LCDMAN.............glad to be alive!

Hello LCD Man,

I hope you don't mind me asking,

With most of your Oesophagus gone, are you able to talk naturally, can you still swallow food?

In your case was there any underlying cause for this tumor?

My understanding of an Oesophagus tumor is that it is local, in other words the tumor rarely spreads to effect other organs.
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been on Omeprazole.

They are quite effective, but do not take for long periods.

Maybe others will scoff, however these are better, without any side effects. Get from H&Barrett etc.

http://www.herbsgardenshealth.com/images/New_Era_pics/New_Era_C.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was put on Lansoprazole a few years ago now when I was constantly in pain from acid indigestion. I've had two stomach ulcers in my time. I have them on repeat prescription now, and quite honestly, I think they are brilliant. I just have them on a take-as-required basis, and if I get played up, one of those, and it's gone within 15 minutes. Beats chewing Rennies. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia a few years ago, I was put on Lansoprazole for a few months. My GP switched me over to a lower 'maintenance' dose of Omeprazole & I am still on it now. They both work very well & I had no side effects other than being slightly more prone to getting tummy bugs ( I assume that's because they supress acid production). The only thing I would say is that if I miss my daily dose, my heartburn comes back with a vengeance!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello LCD Man,

I hope you don't mind me asking,

With most of your Oesophagus gone, are you able to talk naturally, can you still swallow food?

In your case was there any underlying cause for this tumor?

My understanding of an Oesophagus tumor is that it is local, in other words the tumor rarely spreads to effect other organs.

Don't mind you asking at all :)

You get totally re-plumbed!. The Oesophagus is the food pipe, not the windpipe, so I can talk perfectly normally.

The operation I had was an Ivor-Lewis Partial Oesophagectamy (google it), taking the majority of the Oesophagus away (bottom 2/3rds, about 8-10 inches worth), making a new one from the top part of the stomach and having the stomach placed above the diaphram inside the chest rather than down in the abdomen. It leaves me a smaller stomach which is in the "wrong" place so big meals are out.

Where the new Oesophagus meets the old one is called the "top joint", this has to heal before you can leave hospital otherwise any leakage of food or drink goes into your chest cavity - which is a bad thing! This healing determines how long you end up staying in hospital for. It also forms scar tissue which can cause the throat to tighten making swallowing food hard, I've had 3 "stretches" (dilatations) to open up my new Oesophagus since the op, each one lasting longer than the last (most recent, and hopefully last, was just last week!)

Luckily, my tumour was caught very early, was tiny (about the size of a Malteser) and hadn't spread beyond the wall of the Oesophagus. It was right above the valve into the stomach - the Gastro-Oesophagial Junction (GOJ). They do take away various glands & lymph nodes to analyse and luckily I had no problems with mine. It's a big op though - 7-8 hours in theatre with several days intensive care afterwards and I had 6 weeks in hospital before my top joint healed, nil by mouth and fed via a nasal tube. I've lost over 5 st since May! (but I was a bit of a fat biffer anyway at over 16st) :D

No idea where mine came from, had suffered from heartburn (acid reflux) on and off for years but thought little of it until I had swallowing troubles, thats when I was diagnosed after an endoscopy and biopsy. Having said that, I think I am unusually young to have this, most of the people being treated with me were over 60 at least! (I'm only just over 40!)

Constant acid reflux (heartburn) can lead to a condition called Barretts Oesophagus (again, google it) where the lining of the Oesophagus undergoes changes to it's make-up and often (but by no means always) can lead to a tumour. I didn't have this. :) But........I am the only one of over a dozen people I know who had a tumour who DIDN'T have anything else affected so spreading is more normal, I believe, as it often isn't diagnosed until it's quite advanced.

Anything else you want to know, feel free to pm me.

LCDMAN...............Still alive & kicking!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Hi, LCDMAN....it's so good to hear that you are doing well after your treatment. (I replied to an earlier thread regarding your Chemotherapy queries). I wondered how you were, but decided to wait until you broached to subject. Shame about the Handstands though :D

Sorry for going off-topic but it is good to know a fellow FM is doing so well
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I'm on Omeprazole and have been for six months. I take a 10 mg tab every other day and this seems to keep the old acid reflux at bay.

I maybe wrong but I believe that Omeprazole is one of the less strong PPI's. Lanzoprazole is a bit more of a heavyweight contender ?
  • Options
    MULLEENAMULLEENA Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 20 and i get pretty bad heartburn, its pretty much after anything i eat. I could eat a cherry tomato and get heartburn almost instantly, or take a sip of vodka and the same thing! Just been to the doctors about it and he just pretty much said okay and prescribed me a months supply of Lansoprazole tablets and said after a month to come off them and if the problem comes back to come back and have blood tests.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used these tablets and if they worked for you?
    Hi what rotten luck having this problem at your age, the tablets work really quick, but when you come off them it might help to change your diet. My consultant told me to avoid food with pips and spirits as they irritate the stomach like mad. Also if your overweight dropping a few pounds really does make a huge difference. And last but not least dont eat before bedtime.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Just want to say I wish everyone well with continued good health, in this thread.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello LCDMAN,

Thank you for the information, Google will keep me busy for a while.

Keep Well.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased I have discovered this post. I've had acid reflux on and off for a few years. I've been suffering with other GI problems (see other posts) for the past 3 and a half years which appeared to have stopped the acid reflux. I had an endoscopy (both "ways") a couple of years ago when they diagnosed my "small" hiatus hernia and I was prescribed Omeprazole even though at the time at had no acid symptoms although I do suffer from near-continuous abdominal discomfort which pain killers don't help - could this be the acid that's causing this?. I haven't been taking the omeprazole because until very recently, like the past few weeks, I haven't had any symptoms which I attribute to acid.

I was admitted to hospital about 9 weeks ago due to twisted small bowel or "volvulous" which they fixed in surgery - which was 8 weeks ago today. Since then the acid has returned on and off. While I was in hospital and when I was discharged they gave me Lanzaprazole but I've been reluctant to take it because I read the possible side effects on the back. Not sure whether I should be taking the Omeprazole or the Lanzaprazole now - going to speak to my GP.

Steve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to everyone for their good wishes, I'm getting there albeit slowly. :D

LCDMAN..............The man with no sig!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi i take 15mgs Lansoprazole daily. I started off initially on 15mgs in the morning and then 15mgs at night which i had a great response to so now its been reduced down to 1 in the morning.

It took a few weeks for this to initially kick in but i have to admit i dont have any problems.
  • Options
    francis7francis7 Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get terrible heartburn - Rennie etc was no help at all - so my Doctor prescribed me Pantoprazole, which I took daily and it cleared it up completely.

Then I lost 3 stone (I was considerably overweight) by changing to a really healthy diet and now I almost never get heartburn/acid indigestion and have no need to take prescribed pills whatsoever.
  • Options
    Pink WaferPink Wafer Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband has been on Lasprazole for a few years now due to a lazy gut muscle. It makes the world of difference.

He cant eat anything without taking one in a morning and he never gets heartburn now, whereas before, he was in agony.

Its a bit of a wonder drug for him:)
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed it around a month ago after years of constant pain and useless advice from other doctors. I felt better within hours and have now reduced the dose. I'm back to eating properly and can only recommend it. The only noticeable side effect has been a dry mouth, which doesn't particularly bother me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou for your story LCDMan congratulations on the all clear! :)

Started my course the other day and havent had heartburn yet! Its been something ive been having since i was about ten so its quite strange to not be getting it at the mo! Made me laugh that one of the listed possible side effects was heartburn though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently been prescribed Lansoprazole during and after an hospital stay due to my hiatus hernia but haven't been taking it due to being worried about some of the side effects like diarrhoea, which I already suffer from severely. Since my hospital stay 8 weeks ago my acid reflux has started again having been clear for about 4 years.

So, today I've started taking my Omeprazole again (which I already had).

Am I right in thinking Omeprazole is a safer bet than Lansoprazole as it is not as strong?

I figured that if the Omeprazole works for me then I would be better off taking that than the Lansoprazole.

Anyway, going to see my G.P. this week to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Steve.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've been on Lanzarote!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on Lansoprazole for about 3 years after years of Heartburn forced me to go to my Doctor. I had an Endoscopy which found a small Hernia and a small amount of Barretts Oesophagus. BO is sometimes the byproduct of sustained acid reflux on the cells of the Oesophagus which change in structure to deal with the acid. The downside is that the Barretts is a pre-cancerous lining though there appears to be only a small chance it will turn to Cancer.
    The Lansoprazole works like magic and I can honestly say I have not had Heartburn for the entire time I have taken the drug. However the underlying cause is such that when I dont take the drug, the Heartburn soon returns.
    As far as I know the family of Proton Pump Inhibitors(Lansoprazole, Omeprazole etc) hasnt been around long enough for any long term side effects to show themselves-if any. Unless I have Hernia surgery I expect to be on the drug for life.
  • Options
    qixvixqixvix Posts: 10,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a repeat prescription for Omeprazole as I suffer from severe heartburn when I am stressed - sometimes it would get so bad that even a sip of water would kick it off and if I drank and lay down then fluid would come back up.

I have had Xrays which did not indicate any problems but I could not manage the endoscopy and it had to be abandoned.

I avoid spicy foods and I don't drink things which make it worse such as pure fruit juice - I also have to avoif fatty foods such as bacon as this triggers it instantly

I haven't had any time limit given to me re; the Omeprazole and can take it as needed rather than a regular dose