rear speaker location in `split` rectangle room

Hi --have just got a BOSE acoustimass 6 series3 kit .

Need advise please on speaker placement. I will try to paint a picture of the room..

Our room is large rectangle approx 9m x 5m. It is essentially a living/dining so 1/2 the room is table and chairs etc and the settee forms the central `border` to the living section where the TV is mounting on end wall.

Q) Do i put my rears in line with the settee (ie -in the middle of the long walls) or keep them away back at the dining table end approx 4m from the viewing setee.(and 9m fromt the TV)..etc

Q) Also pls reccommend height for front and rear speakers...

Many Thanks!!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I little hard to visualise your room but basically the recommended speaker placement would be....

Fronts (L/C/R) - All tweeters at ear height when seated.

Rears (LS/RS) - Placed on the side walls just infront/level or just behind the listening position about 2ft above ear height when seated.

References on speaker layouts.....

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html

http://www.4seating.com/audio_DolbyReference.htm#chapter3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    thanks tommy

i was wondering if the sound would get `lost` into the other half of the room behind the setee if speakers placed in line with it...??

only other option is to place rears on back wall approx 4 m behind seated position?..but think this is not best option from what you say?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I'd go with Tommy's suggestion, that way your surrond sound will be set up correctly for viewing from the sofa.

If you put your rears 4m away from the sofa, behind your dining area, you'll be swamped by curiously amplified effects when you're eating; and you will hardly be able to hear them from your sofa. You'd also lose the effect of a stereo split across the back.

... assuming I've pictured your room correctly.

L-shaped rooms are a pig. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    thanks

my room is not l shaped thankgoodness...

it is rectangular but the living space is just half of its full footprint with the sofa acting as kind of a `divide` facing one of the shorter end walls.

assuming i mount the rears in line with the sofa --will i lose much surround effect with sound `drifting` away into the open dining area behind the sofa?

many thanks for your assistance & thoughts...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecarmstr wrote: »

assuming i mount the rears in line with the sofa --will i lose much surround effect with sound `drifting` away into the open dining area behind the sofa?

many thanks for your assistance & thoughts...
    The speakers in question fire forwards as they are direct radiators, mounting them on the side walls facing inwards to where you are seated will give the desired affect.

Out of the two options you have mentioned, mounting them on the side walls facing inwards to where your are seated will definitely be the better option.