Shadow of the Beat - PS4 Exclusive

BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/shadow-of-the-beast-is-coming-to-ps4/

It looks pretty. It looks interesting.

However, there's nothing shown in the video that couldn't be done on current gen consoles. The more I see, the less excited I'm becoming about next-get and I wasn't all that excited to begin with.

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    You said that about "knack" and I did point out to you, that its been mentioned by the developers, that they could not do "knack" on a current gen console.

We get your not interested in the next gen, and seem to love nintendo (no problems there), but please stop with all this "not seeing anything new". It's not as if we have seen anything new on the Wii U.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's all so unexciting for you, perhaps you should go and create you own "exciting" next gen game.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    However, there's nothing shown in the video that couldn't be done on current gen consoles. The more I see, the less excited I'm becoming about next-get and I wasn't all that excited to begin with.

What were you expecting from the next-gen?
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said that about "knack" and I did point out to you, that its been mentioned by the developers, that they could not do "knack" on a current gen console.

We get your not interested in the next gen, and seem to love nintendo (no problems there), but please stop with all this "not seeing anything new". It's not as if we have seen anything new on the Wii U.

I didn't say anything about "Knack". If I remember rightly, you were the one discussing it. I didn't bother commenting on it, as you obviously missed the point of what I was saying at the time, and ares till missing the point.

And I'll say what I damn well please. If you don;t like it, or disagree then you're free to tell me and to justify your stance.

So far, I'm not seeing anything that can't be done on current gen consoles, especially in terms of graphical fidelity. If you disagree, feel free to the argue the point, instead of launching into a personal criticism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    What were you expecting from the next-gen?

I wasn't actually expecting anything, other than minuscule improvements in most areas. There's a point where there's only so many ways you can light an individual pixel, and the end user won't notice a dammed bit of difference.

The same goes for number of bad guys etc. Until I see some actual use of all that processing power, such as decent A.I. and such; I remain skeptical. Especially since you can do pretty dammed smart A.I. on a very low-end processor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'll just add; given that I have had a PS3 as my console of choice since it was launched in Europe, and not a Wii U; I don't think anybody can accuse me of being "in love" with Nintendo just because I'm not impressed with current next-gen offerings (apart from Titan Fall).
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this thread shows its the OPs lack of technical knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this thread shows its the OPs lack of technical knowledge.

I admit it. You've hit the nail right on the head.
    Forum Member
    I didn't say anything about "Knack". If I remember rightly, you were the one discussing it. I didn't bother commenting on it, as you obviously missed the point of what I was saying at the time, and ares till missing the point.

And I'll say what I damn well please. If you don;t like it, or disagree then you're free to tell me and to justify your stance.

So far, I'm not seeing anything that can't be done on current gen consoles, especially in terms of graphical fidelity. If you disagree, feel free to the argue the point, instead of launching into a personal criticism.

Ok I'll say it again "Knack" can not be done on the current gen consoles, they are not capable of running "Knack", "Knack" will not run on current gen. This has been discussed by the developers.

I wasn't having a dig at you, I don't know you. But don't see the point of your OP, the demo of the game was a very basic demo, and your now using that, to say the console's not producing "next gen" graphics.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do mean Shadow of the Beast don't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I'll say it again "Knack" can not be done on the current gen consoles, they are not capable of running "Knack", "Knack" will not run on current gen. This has been discussed by the developers.

So...I sort of see your point. I'm not sure you can say it couldn't be done on current gen consoles, because I have seen something very similar working on PS1 around 12 years ago. Obviously on a *much* smaller scale though.

I'm sure the developers know what they're doing and obviously, know their game engine far better than I do; but I remain skeptical. I'm not totally disbelieving what the developers are saying, and I'm also not confident that you could completely pull it off on current gen. But I think you could give it a fair go, especially on PS3.

It's an impressive game. But the characters composed of lots of objects is erm...well, it's an old technique that we used to use back in the PS1 days for characters. It's used here in a different manner. In fact, I dare say it uses "hardware instancing" (which you can do on the WII u) to reduce rendering times.

It's nice though. An interesting take.
    I wasn't having a dig at you, I don't know you. But don't see the point of your OP, the demo of the game was a very basic demo, and your now using that, to say the console's not producing "next gen" graphics.

I'm not saying that next gen graphics are crap, but the improvement in fidelity doesn't fully justify the the increase in processing power. This is partly because of how rendering is done in graphics hardware and I feel we've reached the limited in that area and should take a different approach.

And in terms of gameplay...it just seems more of the same really, which is also a charge you could launch at Nintendo in some cases.

Anyhow...Knack is one game. A nice game, and I think I'd like to play it, but most next-gen offerings still leave me unimpressed. Do I really want to buy a new console on the strength of one game?
    Forum Member
    ^^^ I think the first year we won't see a massive noticeable step up, because games are having to be developed across multiple platforms, but in a year or so I think we will start to see the change.

Can't remember the game, its a release window one, but the developers were talking about the flags. Each flag is a separate entity, and moves according to the wind physics created in the game, not because the flags are told to flap. So if something effects the wind the flags change etc. They were saying this just isn't possible current gen. So I guess little things like that, while no biggie in the grand scheme of things make next gen more interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I think the first year we won't see a massive noticeable step up, because games are having to be developed across multiple platforms, but in a year or so I think we will start to see the change.

The problem is, I'm not sure that we'll see any massive step up at all. We'll see more objects in the game, which is nice, don't get me wrong. But is that it? Is that all we;'re getting? How does that equal great game design?

Can't remember the game, its a release window one, but the developers were talking about the flags. Each flag is a separate entity, and moves according to the wind physics created in the game, not because the flags are told to flap. So if something effects the wind the flags change etc. They were saying this just isn't possible current gen. So I guess little things like that, while no biggie in the grand scheme of things make next gen more interesting.

Ok, so there is where I will definitely call BS. One of my special areas is physics, especially soft body physics for things like cloth and also how to make that sort of thing really fast. And making it flap because of wind? That's just adding a velocity to the each particle in the cloth sim, and varying that based on some really simple algorithm.

Unless they're just talking about a lot of flags all over the place, then sure, more processing power means you can do that and can't do it on last gen.

But again, I find myself asking; is that something that automatically makes a good game? Will it enrich the players experience? Is it a step that is representative of the cost and processing power involved?

Of course, there's also the big question; who gives a flying f**k apart from some insignificant software engineer who's not that far off from turning 40?
    Forum Member
    ^^^ Lol yeah it was a lot of flags each one effected by the wind, like I said not a massive thing in it's self but just something to show off. Got a feeling it may have been FIFA 2014 and the flags in the stadiums.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Shadow of the Beast was a terrible game even back in the day but it did look and sound amazing, a true showcase for the Amiga hardware. SotB 2 was a bit better from a gameplay standpoint but too hard. I think just having a game that shares the same artistic vision and audio score could be great. If they kept the game 2D that would be even better imo.

Is this confirmed 100% exclusive or is it just timed?
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this is exclusive. Will be nice to try it some time. I played the original Shadow of the Beast & Shadow of the Beast 2 back in the day. Neither were great games, but were visually stunning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow of the Beast was a terrible game even back in the day but it did look and sound amazing, a true showcase for the Amiga hardware. SotB 2 was a bit better from a gameplay standpoint but too hard. I think just having a game that shares the same artistic vision and audio score could be great. If they kept the game 2D that would be even better imo.

I'll always think of SOTB as the first true AAA game. Stonking graphics and sound, but somebody let the gameplay fall out of their back pocket and lost it down the back of the sofa.

Check out the C+VG preview..

No idea. It says exclusive on the trailer, and that's all I know.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I remember the music when you set-foot inside the tree trunk,. that blew me away when I was younger and it still impresses me to this day. That a humble 16-bit computer could evoke such atmosphere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9oqYwbmzDY

They should definitely keep the music for the new game.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its published by Sony Computer Entertainment so most likely wholly funded by Sony.
  • stalminenetstalminenet Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    i remember this on the Amiga OMG it looks awsome, that has just convinced me to get a PS4 rather than Xbox One
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    You do mean Shadow of the Beast don't you?

Damn, and there's me thinking that Shadow the Hedgehog was going to appear in his own rhythm-action game :o
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Shadow of the beat could actually be a good idea for a game. A 1950 'slondon set open world film noir about a disgruntled cop working in the hyde park division of the met.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the music when you set-foot inside the tree trunk,. that blew me away when I was younger and it still impresses me to this day. That a humble 16-bit computer could evoke such atmosphere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9oqYwbmzDY

They should definitely keep the music for the new game.

I just spent 15 minutes looking at Amiga music after clicking that link.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In terms of anything new gameplay or experience wise then no, not really. It's more of the same but with nicer graphics. At least until they develop something new that is!!

In terms of graphics have you seen games running on a high end pc compared to the current PS3 and xbox 360? There is a world of difference. Check out far cry 3, Crysis games, Tomb raider, Bioshock Infinite, Batman etc running on a pc at 60fps 1080p on even dx9 settings and compare to the console versions. Heck of a difference in look, feel and response time with the controller.

That is what the difference will be as they stand now - with the exception of 1080p and 60fps from what we've heard so far :(

Although this is still early days......