Options

Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    AlferdPackerAlferdPacker Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Had a bloke in tonight who spoke to me in a pleasant way about the choice of bottled lagers available at the Co-Op. But the trouble was the space he was referring to was almost empty. So I told him in an equally pleasant and civil way I'd see what I could do about it. Anyway, long story short, by the time I'd finished getting what was left of the loose 568mm bottles ou he'd left the shop!!

I havent visited this thread in years but i remember you Motsy. How are you still working in customer service?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    >:( :o I was 15 minutes early, i had my jacket on (thought it wasn't zipped up) headphones in my ears and a cup of coffee and a doughnut in my hands and was about to go into the lunch room when this lady stopped me at the doorway and say: I know it's early and your just arriving but could you show me a good blu-ray player to buy?

I sold her a crappy one :D

She knew i hadn't started yet. Sorry, but i don't work for free :kitty::cool:
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    >:( :o I was 15 minutes early, i had my jacket on (thought it wasn't zipped up) headphones in my ears and a cup of coffee and a doughnut in my hands and was about to go into the lunch room when this lady stopped me at the doorway and say: I know it's early and your just arriving but could you show me a good blu-ray player to buy?

You could have just said "Sorry , but I haven't started work yet" and directed her to someone who could help her.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Or how about not being a "Jobs Worth" and actually helping a customer. And we wonder why Comet went under.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who keep nicking stuff, we have now had to security tag Green and Black Chocolate Bars because a gang keep coming in and nicking them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they walk into your shop when you've just reached the highlight of the book your reading.
    :cool:
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I used to manage a greeting card shop. One Saturday i had just welcomed a brand new 16 year girl to the team as she had just started her Saturday job. I wanted to show her how to use the till as this was to be her main role. She took to it like a duck takes to water. I stood beside her speaking to her clamly and congratulating her on how well she was doing. I apologised to customers for the brief delay and explained to them that Holly was on her first shift and thanked them for their patience. Generally customers are perfectly fine when they are acknowledged and told the reasons of the delay. Then one horrible lady starting tutting. Holly began to get nervous because the tutting lady was starting to say to other customers that "if people don't know what they're doing they shouldn't be working here". She got more loud and more abrubt with each passing customer. When it was her turn to be served she looked at Holly and said "goodness sake girl, you should have got it by now. It's not rocket science". Holly was mortified and looked at me teary eyed and she started trembling a little. I calmly looked at Holly, and said "step aside Holly, just for a minute" and Holly stepped aside. I took Holly's place and looked and smiled at the lady. "Are you going to serve me or what?" asked the lady. I said "No madam, you are going to serve yourself and the rest of the queue, after all it's not rocket science!" The lady was gobsmacked. She insisted she had never been spoken to so rudely before and quite brilliantly the man behind her said "probably because no one can ever get a word in!"

I have never tolerated rude people speaking to my staff in disrespectful manners and I will always stick up for them. Even if they (staff) make mistakes, customers have no right to be nasty.

This makes me so angry

Such unnecessary rudeness, poor girl >:(
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or how about not being a "Jobs Worth" and actually helping a customer. And we wonder why Comet went under.

I take it you're happy to work extra hours with the disgustingly rude British public for no extra money then?
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exist.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exist.

haha!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who keep nicking stuff, we have now had to security tag Green and Black Chocolate Bars because a gang keep coming in and nicking them all.

Meat, cheese and chocolate are all popular targets for theft I'm afraid. There's one pair who come in my shop regularly and nick bars of Galaxy, they're pretty clever and we haven't managed to catch 'em in the act yet....but we did catch a kid trying to walk out with a whole case of Yorkie bars!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    You could have just said "Sorry , but I haven't started work yet" and directed her to someone who could help her.

We had just opened. There was nobody else in the home entertainment section. Well there was the manager but LOL if she'd actually do any customer service.
  • Options
    IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I worked at Sainsbury's you'd have got shot for that. It was your responsibility, from memory, to walk through the store in attire that covered up your uniform. If you walked through to the back with uniform on show and were stopped you'd be expected to help.

One of the things that annoys me, and it's not to do with working in retail, is how many silly people ask you for things when wearing 'nice' clothes. Several times I've been in a shop in a polo shirt with formal shoes and trousers on and people have asked me where things are. Nearly always the uniform of the store is different to the bloody coloured polo shirt I'm wearing too and I'm still asked! Despair.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's happened to me as well. Was in Sainsbury's one day and got asked where something was.

Pointed them in the general direction but told them to ask some who actually worked there.
  • Options
    rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with burton07 here. That was a pretty shitty move from you, dee123.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I take it you're happy to work extra hours with the disgustingly rude British public for no extra money then?

Yes I own my own business, and frequently miss lunch, have to stay on because a customer can only make it in after they've finished work. I also have to sometimes put in 16 hour days, work weekends and bank holidays.

The poster didn't say she was rude, just that she stopped him, while he was going to the break room. So he then goes out of his way to sell her a piece of crap. Perhaps if he'd actually said "sorry, I haven't started work yet, but let me find you someone who can help you" I'd be more impressed.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    The ones who ask "Do you work here?" when I'm decked out in full uniform, with the name of the store on my shirt!!

The ones who think its my fault if we don't have something they want in stock.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I used to manage a greeting card shop. One Saturday i had just welcomed a brand new 16 year girl to the team as she had just started her Saturday job. I wanted to show her how to use the till as this was to be her main role. She took to it like a duck takes to water. I stood beside her speaking to her clamly and congratulating her on how well she was doing. I apologised to customers for the brief delay and explained to them that Holly was on her first shift and thanked them for their patience. Generally customers are perfectly fine when they are acknowledged and told the reasons of the delay. Then one horrible lady starting tutting. Holly began to get nervous because the tutting lady was starting to say to other customers that "if people don't know what they're doing they shouldn't be working here". She got more loud and more abrubt with each passing customer. When it was her turn to be served she looked at Holly and said "goodness sake girl, you should have got it by now. It's not rocket science". Holly was mortified and looked at me teary eyed and she started trembling a little. I calmly looked at Holly, and said "step aside Holly, just for a minute" and Holly stepped aside. I took Holly's place and looked and smiled at the lady. "Are you going to serve me or what?" asked the lady. I said "No madam, you are going to serve yourself and the rest of the queue, after all it's not rocket science!" The lady was gobsmacked. She insisted she had never been spoken to so rudely before and quite brilliantly the man behind her said "probably because no one can ever get a word in!"

I have never tolerated rude people speaking to my staff in disrespectful manners and I will always stick up for them. Even if they (staff) make mistakes, customers have no right to be nasty.

Hi there :)

Good on you as a manager sticking by Holly and standing up to that rude lady customer some people these days have no respect for retail workers. I work in a hotel and i have come across some rude/not so nice customers so i know what its like. How is Holly doing in her job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    Agree with burton07 here. That was a pretty shitty move from you, dee123.

Meh. It's not like i sold her a broken one, just a cheap one. I was selfish. But so was she. It's a selfish world.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Meh. It's not like i sold her a broken one, just a cheap one. I was selfish. But so was she. It's a selfish world.

How was she selfish?
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the sentiment about lazy parenting: '_____, don't touch, look look the man's coming', cue the child staring at me as if I'm the devil incarnate.

Another annoying one is impatient customers, in our store the only people permitted to do refunds are full timers and one part-timer who is a part-time supervisor. Its not so much an issue because there's usually two full-timers on during a shift bar late nights or the odd occasion when full timers are on a week's holidays. Anyway, one day the assistant manager was off on a 15 minute tea break and it was myself and another part-timer covering shop floor. Anyway, a woman came in looking a refund, I explained to her that I couldn't do a refund for her (you need an authorisation code which only those I've mentioned have) but the member of staff who can would be back in a few minutes so if she wanted to look around or if she wanted to go to any other shops in the town and call back, she could get her refund. Cue 'I dont have time for this, what sort of shop is this' protests, I pointed out that she still had four days left to get a refund so if she was in a hurry she could come back another day, again no, she was really busy and this was a waste of her time. There were customers behind her waiting so I said I would put the refund through the till but pause the transaction (which prints out a barcode which you scan to resume the transaction without reentering the details again but frees up the till). With a massive sigh, she said it would have to do and walked over to the women's section.

Anyway, I served the customers waiting, one of whom told me I deserved a medal for not losing my rag with her and the assistant manager returned as I was putting through the last customer waiting's items. So i called her over and said about the customer waiting, she went down and said to the woman that she would authorise the refund if she wanted to come to the till and was told 'Oh okay, give me a few minutes, I'm browsing, dont rush me!'

So one minute she was in a massive rush, next thing we were rushing her? Bizarre, I've stood behind her in a queue in the Nisa up the street from my shop and she was quite abrupt to the girl on the till there so I think she's just a notoriously rude customer
  • Options
    rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was selfish for asking for help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    How was she selfish?

Seriously? Okay then. I would never ask someone who obviously hasn't started working yet. Do you work for free?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? Okay then. I would never ask someone who obviously hasn't started working yet. Do you work for free?

" I know it's early and your just arriving but could you show me a good blu-ray player to buy?"

Yes seriously how is that rude or selfish, you could have quite politely said, my shift doesn't start for another 15 minutes, are you okay to wait or I will see if anybody else can assist you. Then if she demanded that you serve her right away, I would agree with you about being rude & selfish.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

In this case i wouldn't hold a grudge against the customer. They didn't come to the staff room and ask you, They were in the shop as were you
This discussion has been closed.