Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a number of people on Twitter calling for Ali Carter to be added to the Champion of Champions field but is that out of sentimentality more than anything ? I am sure Ali wouldn't want to be in it like that
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of people on Twitter calling for Ali Carter to be added to the Champion of Champions field but is that out of sentimentality more than anything ? I am sure Ali wouldn't want to be in it like that

Some people are of course but it's also to do with the fact that he was world ranked 13 when he had to take time out and World Snooker said they'd freeze his ranking...but it all depends on when that would be applicable from and how they do it exactly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are of course but it's also to do with the fact that he was world ranked 13 when he had to take time out and World Snooker said they'd freeze his ranking...but it all depends on when that would be applicable from and how they do it exactly.

I'm a cynic though TC and I wonder had Ali lost in the grpups of the General Cup whether we would be debating it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a cynic though TC and I wonder had Ali lost in the grpups of the General Cup whether we would be debating it

Probably not! It's not under the auspices of World Snooker, the General Cup, either.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Nice win for Ali. Wish Eurosport had covered it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rapid win for the Whirlwind in the latest Asian Tour Event today - stuffed Poomjaeng 4-0 finishing with a 136 total clearance. Jack only potted two balls all match!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Official World Snooker Statement re: Ali Carter's frozen ranking:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~4237654,00.html

As I stated the other day, based on the 'frozen' ranking of 13 being applicable, the likelihood is he'll gain a Champion Of Champions berth after all, at the expense of Joe Perry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice win for Ali. Wish Eurosport had covered it.

Wouldn't have gotten shown. An exhibition tournament played early in the morning whilst World Superbikes are on. I don't even think Hong Kong telly showed it.
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't have gotten shown. An exhibition tournament played early in the morning whilst World Superbikes are on. I don't even think Hong Kong telly showed it.

Good point!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Official World Snooker Statement re: Ali Carter's frozen ranking:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~4237654,00.html

As I stated the other day, based on the 'frozen' ranking of 13 being applicable, the likelihood is he'll gain a Champion Of Champions berth after all, at the expense of Joe Perry
    ^ I say 'in all likelihood', but if someone not yet qualified wins the current Asian Tour Event who has not yet qualified for the CofC, they would displace Carter. Be ironic if Joe Perry did!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    147 for Ryan Day today in the Asian PTC, his first in tournament play and the 107th in competition.
  • Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one Ryan!
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    147 for Ryan Day today in the Asian PTC, his first in tournament play and the 107th in competition.

yes TC, I was surprised it was only his first to be honest.

as for the tournament, Matt Selt, Jimmy Robertson and Oliver Lines all into the Semi Finals! What with a spot at the Champion of Champions up for grabs, could be a great opportunity for one of these players.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bingham v Oli Lines in the final, what a week for the youngster.

Ali C and John Higgins will be hoping he loses mind, re: the CofC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the event Bing wins easily four-zip.

So just the International Championship to go re: filling up the CofC places.

Higgins now safe, as is Ali unless someone 'new' wins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeds falling like flies in China, Robbo the latest casualty losing in a decider to Swail. Murphy and Hawkins lost earlier today too. Add to that Ding and Selby failing to qualify there doesn't appear to be a busting amount of competition in Ronnie's way.

However, could be bad news for Ali Carter's Champion of Champions place all these pre-qualified players going out....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trump gone too, beaten 6-5 on the colours by Jamie Burnett
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Williams v Ian Burns
    Stuart Bingham v Mark Allen
    Mark Williams v Sam Baird
    Li Hang v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Joe Swail v Ricky Walden
    Peter Ebdon v Jamie Burnett
    Robert Milkins v Xiao Guodong
    Marco Fu v Rod Lawler
    Forum Member

Joe Swail v Ricky Walden
    Marco Fu v Rod Lawler

I think it's safe to say it's NOT the quarter final line up we would have expected! :o

Should be some great matches though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Joe Swail v Ricky Walden
    Marco Fu v Rod Lawler

wow, Mark Williams will struggle to play two matches in one day...especially at his age :p

interesting line up, I've noticed Peter Ebdon playing very well at the moment, he had a good run at AT2 last week, wouldn't be surprised to see him go close this week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    wow, Mark Williams will struggle to play two matches in one day...especially at his age :p

interesting line up, I've noticed Peter Ebdon playing very well at the moment, he had a good run at AT2 last week, wouldn't be surprised to see him go close this week!

Oops, to be fair I got the nationality and the initials right :p My apologies to Michael White lol

Bottom half in particular is wide open. I'd have liked to see Sam Baird in that half, be nice to see him go deep in a major, instead he's potentially got seven world titles in his way just to make the last four!
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 242,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeds falling like flies in China, Robbo the latest casualty losing in a decider to Swail. Murphy and Hawkins lost earlier today too. Add to that Ding and Selby failing to qualify there doesn't appear to be a busting amount of competition in Ronnie's way.

However, could be bad news for Ali Carter's Champion of Champions place all these pre-qualified players going out....

Joe Swail beating Robbo, is the result of the tournament for me (so far), would not have predicted that !
  • Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to suspect that many of top players are not really 'up' for this event, so thier defeats against lesser players are more down to this lack of interest of the big names in event like this in China with a more important event in the UK starting the day after the final in China. I don't they fancy such a jet jag inducing circumstance. In other words big name exits are not so much down to lower ranked opponents playing well but their own poor play for the reasons given. Besides lower ranked players have more motivation to get as far as they can in these lesser events played in front of a sea of empty seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^look at the winners share for this tournament, the players I would expect DO very much want to win this tournament :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    White v Allen
    Williams v O'Sullivan

Walden v Burnett
    Milkins v Fu

Favourites fought back today, higher seeded players won 7 of the 8 last 16 matches
This discussion has been closed.