Ask your 4oD questions here!

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I noticed they are being slow updating their 4od site with latest content as soon as they have been broadcast compared with ITV Player and iPlayer where it shows about 1 hour after being broadcasted.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    This is the sort of idiotic attitude I'll never understand.

No, they've maybe forced your hand not to watch the programmes.
    They have NOT forced your hand just to steal them if you can't get
    them. You don't need the programmes in any way.

Phazer
    First I'd appreciate you not calling me an idiot, albeit indirectly.

Second, they have forced my hand to use unofficial methods, by removing the legal downloads
    As you know, I prefer to watch TV shows downloaded from catch-up services on my XBox360.
    (Of course, if the XBox360 included an internet browser, I'd access 4oD on that instead.)

In the past with 4oD, I'd download a show in protected WMV format, and stream it directly to
    my XBox360 while the DRM licence key on the file is still valid. I would keep the show until I
    finished with it, and the DRM licence key expires. I wanted to keep it for longer I'd renew
    the DRM license. I could of course, breach the copyright and use a certain software tool
    to create a copy with no DRM. But HDD space is finite, and I can't be bothered!

So now if I want to catch up with a recent Channel 4 program that I have missed using my
    preferred viewing method via the XBox360, I have no choice but to use unofficial sources.
    Like I said in my previous message, I would prefer not use the unlawful method.

So, unless you can advise me of a way I can forward the 4oD streams from Channel4.com
    to my XBox360, then I'd appreciate if you would kindly get off your high horse once in a
    while. You are NOT the copyright police, you never have been and you never will be!
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if shows like Peep Show that were on the 4oD software for free to watch anytime you want are all available / going to be available on the new site? Or whether they're gonna have this 30 day limit on them / only be available after repeat broadcasts.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All 5 series of Peep Show are already available on the site.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show/4od
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    So now if I want to catch up with a recent Channel 4 program that I have missed using my
    preferred viewing method via the XBox360, I have no choice but to use unofficial sources.

You do have a choice. Don't watch. Done! No piracy required!

Anything else is theft, and no different from ram raiding HMV under the excuse they were shut when you wanted to buy a DVD, so it was completely justified.

Phazer
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have a choice. Don't watch. Done! No piracy required!
    That is not a choice. What you're saying there is if I miss any show that I wanted to watch
    on Channel 4, I might as well not bother catching up with what I've missed regardless of
    the methods used, legal or otherwise. And given the fact that Channel 4 have removed
    an option to obtain shows by downloading them legally.
    Anything else is theft, and no different from ram raiding HMV under the excuse
    they were shut when you wanted to buy a DVD, so it was completely justified.
    That is absolute total and utter nonsense. May I once again remind you that you are NOT
    the copyright police. You're on your high horse again, looking down at everyone else, so
    unless you're offering to buy me a Sky+ PVR box, a DVD recorder, or some other type of
    modern TV recording device to replace my worn out old VCR, I suggest you shut up.
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of the new 4OD so for the most part I've gone back to downloading torrents which is a shame. I don't mind streaming but I liked it when it was done by WMP, the picture was fantastic compared to flash and on the odd occasion I'd like to download a show.

I also gotta say that I really don't like navigating the new site. Whereas I'd look for new and old stuff on 4OD now I only look for stuff I've missed, well I didn't miss it exactly as I only really watch TV online now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    This is the sort of idiotic attitude I'll never understand.

No, they've maybe forced your hand not to watch the programmes. They have NOT forced your hand just to steal them if you can't get them. You don't need the programmes in any way.

Phazer

With all due respect, you're living in the stone age. The broadcasters need to wake up to the fact that their adherance to antiquated business models is encouraging piracy. The people want easy and quick access to online programming from broadcasters. They can either embrace and provide that (as do the BBC) and benefit from advertising revenue etc. Or they can make the viewers lives difficult in which case they'll go to the "easy" way of getting the content (i.e. piracy).

The world of broadcast television is changing rapidly. The old world of controlled regional releases and restricted playback is dying. They need to invest in global, online provision of programming. Only then will piracy start to deminish. And don't think for a second that there is no money in it. Look at how popular legit Internet based playback is in the UK & US thanks to things like ITV and Hulu which are funded by advertising. People don't mind forced adverts in streams so long as they're not too intrusive.
  • NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say I agree with some of the above posters. The new 4OD is such a deterioration compared to the old product that used WMV. It was really good at that point with the downloadable content and the excellent quality of streaming. The bitrate for the new flash programs is terrible. I dont mind watching adverts, but i would like a better quality!!
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any news on PS3 compatability without using youtube which is lower quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I've just tried to watch last week's Shameless and the new Jo Frost programme on 4oD through my laptop, which I've always been able to do with no problem.

However, now it just says "An error occurred" when I press the play button. I've tried other random programmes with the same result - it won't play any of them! :mad::cry: I can't find anything in the Help section either.

Does anybody have any ideas, please? I'm not very technical either, so idiotspeak would be much appreciated. :)