On The Buses Television Series And Film Appreciation Thread

1151617181921»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    On The Buses films on television in the coming days

On The Buses, from 11.05 am to 1 pm today - Thursday 4.4.2013 on ITV 3.

Mutiny on The Buses, from 11.05 am to 1pm on Friday 5.4.2013 on ITV 3.

For any readers who do not know, episodes of the London Weekend Television/ITV comedy On The Buses are being shown every weekday on ITV 3.

On The Buses fans may also wish to see:

Carry On Again Doctor - with Sid James - on BBC 2 on Saturday 6.4.2013 from 6.05 pm to 7.30 pm.

The Many Faces Of Sid James on BBC 2 on Saturday 6.4.2013 from 7.30 pm to 8.30 pm.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode where they celebrate the bus company centenary is quite good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Stan and Olive ever split up.
    I thought Olive could do much better than Stan as he constantly put her down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Stan and Olive ever split up.
    I thought Olive could do much better than Stan as he constantly put her down.

You mean Olive and Arthur. Stan was Olive's brother.:D
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, in the last series.

Arthur walked out on Olive and Stan got her a job as a clippie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    You mean Olive and Arthur. Stan was Olive's brother.:D

Oops, sorry!
    I meant Arthur.
    Will ITV3 go back to the beginning?
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops, sorry!
    I meant Arthur.
    Will ITV3 go back to the beginning?

Will ITV 3 wear out the tapes more like!

Does anyone reckon the Doctor series is less PC than On The Buses?
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love On The Buses. All the cast were superb, but Doris Hare was my favourite.

me too :)
    Forum Member
    Holiday On The Buses is on ITV 1 on Saturday 30.11.2013

Holiday On The Buses - the third of the films based on the On The Buses television series made by London Weekend Television for ITV - is being shown on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD today (Saturday 30.11.2013) from 12.35 pm to 2.15 pm (from 1.35 pm on ITV 1 +1).
    Forum Member
    Holiday On The Buses - the third of three films based on the ITV television comedy - has just started on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD (from 1.35 pm today on ITV 1 +1).

I think Holiday On The Buses is the best of the three On The Buses films.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holiday On The Buses is on ITV 1 on Saturday 30.11.2013

Holiday On The Buses - the third of the films based on the On The Buses television series made by London Weekend Television for ITV - is being shown on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD today (Saturday 30.11.2013) from 12.35 pm to 2.15 pm (from 1.35 pm on ITV 1 +1).

Is that the one with the milky skinned Rubenesque Olive in a bikini ?

Down boy.
  • ci5bodieci5bodie Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Holiday On The Buses - the third of three films based on the ITV television comedy - has just started on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD (from 1.35 pm today on ITV 1 +1).

I think Holiday On The Buses is the best of the three On The Buses films.

I'm guessing that ITV edited the topless woman out as usual thus making the crash at the start into nonsense?

The first 2 OTB movies stood out from the usual sitcom spinoffs as they managed to keep the characters in their usual locations instead of taking them off to places unknown to do things they never would in the series.

Unfortunately the 3rd film did exactly that which is why , for me its the weakest and unsurprisingly the last they made.
    Other sitcom spinoffs opted to take the characters on holiday in the first cinema outings which is why they never made any more.
    I'm assuming they'd run out of ideas .
    IIRC there's an On the Buses book out which hints at a 4th movie that was in fact never even close to ever being made

The OTB movies proved that what audiences wanted was basically a bigger budget version of what they saw on tv .
    The first 2 films succeeded in that but the 3rd failed

Although it didn't have a sequel the Man About the House movie also proves the theory . Its quite well thought of and doesn't stray too far from the tv series format .

The dire George and MIldred movie on the other hand .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing is the film made no sense where the baby was concerned. They never had a child in the tv show.

Love the tv series but I think they made a mistake continuing without Arthur & Stan.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this the first time around growing up. Watching it on ITV3 and it's still good but I find Stan to be an incredibly sleazy character now. Sign of the times maybe but he, 'the loveable bus driver', was in his mid fifties playing that character whilst chasing after 'dolly birds in their early 20's'!!
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Reg Varney would have been a natural to join the Carry On team
    The British public loved him............

pity he was never in at least one of the Carry On movies
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a watch of this. Just Reg on his own for the first 8 mins then the rest of the cast join him. It is Wogan from 1990. They are talking about the planned revival of On The Buses

Is it just me or does Michael Robbins seem a little offish ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjd0z6l15PU
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,249
    Forum Member
    I find Stan to be an incredibly sleazy character now. Sign of the times maybe but he, 'the loveable bus driver', was in his mid fifties playing that character whilst chasing after 'dolly birds in their early 20's'!!

The character was supposed to be his mid 30's, though.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    He would have slotted into the Carry On movies

He would have slotted into Fools and Horses

He would have been great in East Benders...

In the end he retired... and if mem serves...
    got down to his favourite hobby..... painting
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Robbins was superb as Sgt. Major Throttle in 'Fairly Secret Army', made and screened by C4 in the mid '80s.
    Afraid that Britain was being taken over by pinkoes, lefties, trendies, commies,...etc, he mustered his own (fairly secret) army in readiness to save the nation from the massed forces of ne'er do wells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairly_Secret_Army

Episode 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6xCoT9b7Fs
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a watch of this. Just Reg on his own for the first 8 mins then the rest of the cast join him. It is Wogan from 1990. They are talking about the planned revival of On The Buses

Is it just me or does Michael Robbins seem a little offish ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjd0z6l15PU

Michael was battling cancer at the time he appeared on the Wogan show which is why he looks 'offish'. Possibly because he knew his time was limited and would not see the making of a reunion show is why he seemed like that. His last appearance was in 1991, in an episode of One Foot in the Grave (The Man in the Long Black Coat) where he played Mr Killick who delivers a pile of rotting vegetation from an allotment to Victor's house. His declining health is clearly evident in that episode and he died a year later in 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgwBMMmQwbA

Robbins appears at 42:04 - I never recognised him first time I saw that episode.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Michael was battling cancer at the time he appeared on the Wogan show which is why he looks 'offish'. Possibly because he knew his time was limited and would not see the making of a reunion show is why he seemed like that. His last appearance was in 1991, in an episode of One Foot in the Grave (The Man in the Long Black Coat) where he played Mr Killick who delivers a pile of rotting vegetation from an allotment to Victor's house. His declining health is clearly evident in that episode and he died a year later in 1992.

Robbins appears at 42:04 - I never recognised him first time I saw that episode.

Blimey he does look gaunt there doesn't he ?

I always remember him from The Brendon Chase too
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »

Blimey he does look gaunt there doesn't he ?

I always remember him from The Brendon Chase too

A shame to see him looking so ill. The cancer was taking it's toll. He was only 62 when he died!
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall watching Holiday on the Buses years ago when it was on television late at night one Christmas, but I didn't see the television series until about three years ago when I caught a few episodes on ITV3. I have to be in the right mood for it. It's not something I can watch anytime like The Good Life and Steptoe and Son. My favourite episode is Foggy Night.