Options

Last Resort (US Pace)

Comments

• Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has happened to US network TV? I thought the promos looked bad, but the involvement of The Shield's Shawn Ryan made me curious enough to check it out. What a waste of time, though. The idea itself was interesting, but the execution bordered on the banal. Cliche-riddled, sloppy writing, and a typically pretty cast made this turd of a show almost completely unwatchable. Still, the less than stellar ratings means it will probably be canceled soon anyway.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has happened to US network TV? I thought the promos looked bad, but the involvement of The Shield's Shawn Ryan made me curious enough to check it out. What a waste of time, though. The idea itself was interesting, but the execution bordered on the banal. Cliche-riddled, sloppy writing, and a typically pretty cast made this turd of a show almost completely unwatchable. Still, the less than stellar ratings means it will probably be canceled soon anyway.

I couldn't agree more
  • Options
    SiGaSiGa Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chose this as one of my new shows to try and so far I am enjoying it.

I really hope the ratings improve enough to allow it to continue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    The pilot episode had poor ratings because it had already been streaming on abc's website for a week beforehand.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more

I'll third that. Same old plot, bigger guns. Also, someone should send the writers a map.
    I'm out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    elpaw wrote: »
    The pilot episode had poor ratings because it had already been streaming on abc's website for a week beforehand.

That wont have had anything to do with it, the fact that it was online prior to the TV airing will have had a minimal effect on the ratings. NBC's Revolution was available to stream for a week or two prior to the TV premiere and that still managed to get stellar ratings for it's premiere. The same goes for last years premiere of New Girl which Fox made available on demand (as well as on domestic plane flights) about a month before the premiere, but still got really high ratings when it aired on TV.

The overall ratings for Last Resort were fairly good (nearly 10 million viewers for the premiere, and a further 4 million for the Friday repeat), it's just that the majority of the viewers were outside the all important 18-49 age group that the networks aim for. If the 18-49 numbers don't improve then that will be it's downfall.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    I'll third that. Same old plot, bigger guns. Also, someone should send the writers a map.
    I'm out.

That was the main thing which bugged me. The geography was all over the place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Bump!!
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched episode two. It's not great to be honest but I did read that a reviewer says it picks up again in episode three.

I know it's a show about the US military but I'm finding all of this American patriotism stuff a bit hammy at times. The character of Grace is the main culprit for this. On the plus side, the gorgeous Jay Hernandez has shown up as a shady lawyer who will hopefully be good to watch.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    I've just watched episode two. It's not great to be honest but I did read that a reviewer says it picks up again in episode three.

I know it's a show about the US military but I'm finding all of this American patriotism stuff a bit hammy at times. The character of Grace is the main culprit for this. On the plus side, the gorgeous Jay Hernandez has shown up as a shady lawyer who will hopefully be good to watch.

Too right Grace is a sanctimonious moo. All the so called patriotism is spoiling the show, especially when it seems the Government is corrupt.

Not keen on Robert Patrick's character, surely he can't be that thick that sometimes you don't obey orders.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 - well, I loved it!

Yes, it's implausible, overly jingoistic and the dialog creaks in places but I think this is going to be an entertaining ride as long as you don't take it too seriously. If handled right they have an enormous scope to tell the story of world heading towards WWIII with them in the middle of it all.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We heard this week (background news video) that the US admitted nuking Pakistan, saying it was necessary and unavoidable, although it's had worldwide condemnation.

So... *why* the backchannel orders?

I had previously thought maybe so that the US could claim that the Colorado did it due to being rogue, but now it seems that the US has admitted doing it... so why the dodgy orders?

Anyway. I enjoyed the main story, even though it's silly. I have doubts it will last long, though, as this week's ratings were even lower than last week's.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    All the so called patriotism is spoiling the show, especially when it seems the Government is corrupt.

Yes, that last scene with the US flag was nauseating. However, before that, I thought the episode was about as good as the first one, and really enjoyed what they were doing with the show.
    Not keen on Robert Patrick's character, surely he can't be that thick that sometimes you don't obey orders.

Isn't that just the point? What I mean is, how many of those in the military - especially the US military - are brainwashed into the 'my country right or wrong' way of thinking.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member

I'm surprised they haven't shot him yet as he is obviously going to be a threat to their safety at some time in the future?
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Just watched the second episode, did'nt think it was as good as the first but it's building up.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting to lose interest after Ep 3 when one of the major plot strands is how the barmaid does not get on with her father (who seems to be the Leader of THE OTHERS ;)).
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Starting to lose interest after Ep 3 when one of the major plot strands is how the barmaid does not get on with her father (who seems to be the Leader of THE OTHERS ;)).

Yeah I have to agree. I think I'm done with this show now. Three episodes in and I still don't care about any of the characters enough to be interested in what happens to them.

This and Chicago Fire were two of the new shows that I was most looking forward to this season that have proved to be disappointing. Nashville was the one I thought I'd hate which I actually love so I'll be watching it, Revenge and Homeland until Red Widow and Infamous star in 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They just make the story more convoluted every week without ever giving us answers. I'm sure they're making it up as they go along.

And did you ever see anything as ridiculous as steering a 18,750 ton, 560ft long submarine through a maze by radio message and a stopwatch? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »

And did you ever see anything as ridiculous as steering a 18,750 ton, 560ft long submarine through a maze by radio message and a stopwatch? :rolleyes:

That was amazingly bad lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    I love how they're trying to be completely silent on the sub, but still communicating via radio with the mainland. What do they have, some sort of stealth radio waves?
  • Options
    TorquarTorquar Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »

Sean Connery did something like this in The Hunt for Red October, and the Red October was both longer and considerably wider than an Ohio class :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torquar wrote: »
    Sean Connery did something like this in The Hunt for Red October, and the Red October was both longer and considerably wider than an Ohio class :D.

Yes but he was playing the part of an experienced submarine commander who was actually in the submarine at the time, not a civilian two miles away sending navigational commands by radio.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it required *too* much of a suspension of disbelief. She knew the area, their position, their speed, and their depth, plus is some sort of scientist.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't see this series lasting long.

Too much fighting amongst the crew and not enough 'what is going on' stuff.

Like Revolution, I'm just watching to see what happens now, but I don't really care much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see this series lasting long.

Too much fighting amongst the crew and not enough 'what is going on' stuff.

Was there any?

We're no further forward now than we were after Episode One! :mad: