Star Wars Episode 7 targeted for 2015 release

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Will this mean we can get a Blu-Ray release of the Original Trilogy, remastered and restored but without Special edition additions (Han Shoots First, ROTJ 'Jedi Rocks sequence etc).

I hope so - i'd love to get the untouched vanilla versions on bluray.

It's certainly a major deal in any aspect. The one thing that worries me is the notion that they'll adopt an almost "conveyor belt" approach with the releases with the announcement of a new one "every 2 or 3 years". Unless they're planning to spend an absolute boatload of cash on each one, i can't see how they're going to be anything particularly amazing after, for the sake of argument, parts 10 and 11.

What i'd personally find more intruiging is if they rebooted the franchise and started again. Re-told the story from the start with new people playing Luke, Han, Leia e.t.c...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Could be either great or dreadful
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they will start at Truce at Bakura and take it from there

Will be interesting to see what Disney come up with in terms of new ideas and what any new ships will look like with the Empire gone

And how Luke makes the transition to Jedi Master and also Grand Master like in the books

Then there's the Jedi Academy, New Republic and New Jedi Order

The possibilities are endless
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Really hoping for a Blu ray release of the original trilogy, cleaned up and remastered.

I wont buy the new versions.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Will this mean we can get a Blu-Ray release of the Original Trilogy, remastered and restored but without Special edition additions (Han Shoots First, ROTJ 'Jedi Rocks sequence etc).

For gods sake!
    Something is announced that's looks forward and will hopefully show us new and exciting things......and people still bang on about the same old bitter shite.
    Move on!

Time to leave this SW thread when it turns into every other SW thread.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it "bitter shite" when you want the original untouched versions of the original trilogy ? I don't get it.

I watched them when I was a kid and they're hugely memorable and certainly give me some good memories of back then, so why is it such a bad thing to want the unspoilt versions that I remember so fondly ?
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only fear is that they mess with the opening scroll and replace it with something else. That would be disastrous.

John Williams must also be brought onboard to provide the type of musical score only he can deliver to these movies.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    For gods sake!
    Something is announced that's looks forward and will hopefully show us new and exciting things......and people still bang on about the same old bitter shite.
    Move on!

Time to leave this SW thread when it turns into every other SW thread.

You know what, I hate all the bitching about the edits, i really dont see the problem. They are (were) Lucas' films and he can do whatever he likes with them. BUT.... For those that want the original versions, now the franchise has a new owner there is a real possibility that it may happen. I hope they get what they want.
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Wow, they even have a sneak preview screenshot, well I guess they would with the film only a few short years away.
    http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223665_10151113568712073_944631382_n.jpg
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The plausible solution would probably be that Han Solo and Leia have minor parts (whoever is cast to play them) and that Luke would also have a largely peripheral role in order that the next generation Skywalker was becoming a Jedi on the good side of the force.

We never really see Luke as a full blown Jedi. So it would be good for the next gen to be an established Jedi with all the morals and skills of a proper Jedi.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AbMan51 wrote: »
    Wow, they even have a sneak preview screenshot, well I guess they would with the film only a few short years away.
    http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223665_10151113568712073_944631382_n.jpg

Would not surprise me if that was the Disney Intro to VII:o
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed yet excited with this news.

The possibilities in the SW extended universe are endless, although I'd love to see a Starkiller triology.

And if Williams couldn't be brought back, I'd love to see Mark Griskey and Jesse Harlin be given scoring roles - the Force Unleashed music is very Williams Star Wars, but still very original.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We never really see Luke as a full blown Jedi. So it would be good for the next gen to be an established Jedi with all the morals and skills of a proper Jedi.

Yeah, I would like to see Luke as the Master to two padawan's one who turns to the darkside over the course of the three films, and the other Jedi has to face off against the other. Luke would die or self sacrifice himself in the first film a'la Ben Kenobi in episode IV, but would cameo in future films as a force ghost. The films would be set a generation later than RoTJ.
    Droids and Chewbacca could easily return to join the new the ensemble cast, and I can imagine Carrie Fisher and Billy Dee Williams would both agree to cameo.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It'll be weird seeing the castle before the film starts.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing what Disney allowed Marvel to do; then I have every confidence that the new Star Wars films have the potential to be very good.

I'm in.
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member

Okay here's a real publicity shot:
    http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/63819000/jpg/_63819199_starwars.jpg

Imagaine if they did do it with Disney cartoon characters...
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I think the Star Wars movie franchise can always make money at the Box Office, just like Bond. (Hopefully these succeed so much; we can have a Moonraker type Bond again!! ;) )

I also think the price Disney paid for the entire Lucasfilm is a absolute steal! Can't believe the price is so low.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omg it's like I'm 10 years old again sitting in the cinema open mouthed as a huge Imperial star destroyer fills the screen in front of me......excited much!!!! I think I might be

Hehe, I was seven doing exactly the same thing after queuing with my dad and six-year-old brother for about half an hour to get in to see Star Wars, and I know exactly what you mean :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who hopes they come up with a totally new story? I really can't see them re-casting Luke, Leia and Han. Use the universe, sure, and maybe bring back some of the ancillary characters (no ewoks please) but I really don't think ANY actor could do the original trio any justice. If they do go with this though I think the new films will be doomed to fail.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Hamill is about the same age Alec Guinness was in the first film, he could surely play a similar role. Spooky.

The problem is that Star Wars is not Marvel, it's basically a story told.

This Disney purchase is like a purchase of the rights to recently filmed and completed The Lord of the Rings trilogy. What is there to say, the story ended. The prequels are done (nearly in the case of Rings)

So a new story in that Star Wars universe? Screams cheap knock-off.

Continue the story? What story, it's done.

Still, for $4b it's probably worth it even if the new films are not artistically with merit.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Really hoping for a Blu ray release of the original trilogy, cleaned up and remastered.

I wont buy the new versions.

Gosh how I want that. I acquired the original cinema versions on DVD (packaged with the CGI'd garbage) and it was like meeting an old friend after years away. They are my prizes, but Blu-ray cleaned versions...:eek: Want!

Please let George have waved tinkering rights to those and someone, somewhere still have some master copies he didn't manage to annihilate.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually any new Star Wars film with the same characters would be emotionally dead, like a zombie film.

The Star Trek reboot was basically like this, the living dead.

Maybe they can get away with having Mark Hamill in there with an entirely new story ark.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly never saw this coming. I thought for sure it was over after Episode III.

Genuinely shocked. I hope Disney treat it well.
  • MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milotic12 wrote: »
    I really can't see them re-casting Luke, Leia and Han.

I don't see why not.

Star Trek did a great job of reintroducing familiar characters.
    Chris Pine is a great new Kirk, in my opinion. Spock and Bones too.

Don't see why we can't have a new Luke, Leia and Han.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is about time the Star Wars holiday special got the big budget treatment!