Options

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

Comments

• Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Good grief. The 50th anniversary special will date quicker than Dimensions in Time!

Yet another wonderful DW related decision by the BBC. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 3D TV because it was cheap on Groupon, but I only use it for games and movies. Would never really think of TV, but I will make an exception for this.
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

The moment Moffat said this...

Steven Moffat, lead writer and
    executive producer, said: ‘It's about time.
    Technology has finally caught up with Doctor
    Who and your television is now bigger on the
    inside. A whole new dimension of adventure
    for the Doctor to explore.’

...the BBC made the decision to put it on hold for three years. Look forward to the Moff bragging "more 3D telly than ever!" any time now. :D
  • Options
    ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    If there were forums back in the 60s people would have been all "oh colour is useless what's the point it adds nothing" etc etc etc

In 20 years time TVs will all be glasses free and 3D won't be a "fad" it'll be commonplace. There won't be silly glasses or crappy conversions to put people off.

I for one am glad I'll have an episode of Doctor Who to watch in 3D on my 8K 150-inch 4D smell-o-vision holographic TV in 2033, and sincerely hope they decide to produce every episode in 3D one day (and in smell-o-vision, that's important - it'll add a whole new dimension to the slitheen episodes!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief. The 50th anniversary special will date quicker than Dimensions in Time!

Who knows, maybe in 10 years the technology might finally take off and the 50th will look well ahead of its time! ;)
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a 3D TV, one that uses passive glasses. This means I can use the same sunglasses-style glasses I have for the cinema. I also have a 3D-capable BluRay player, and so far, a good dozen 3D films. My kids have a couple of 3D-capable PS3 games. I can also use the TV to view 3D photographs - I have been taking 3D pictures for over 30 years.

The Dr Who special will probably only be transmitted in 3D on the HD channels, and I am out of range for those. I can't see local cinemas showing it, so I can only hope that it will soon be released on BluRay...
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always hated the decision anyway as it was known 3d tv has been a total failure. The fact they are still going to enforce it on such a landmark episode despite it being in its death throes is a crap decision. Again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    I also have a 3D TV, one that uses passive glasses. This means I can use the same sunglasses-style glasses I have for the cinema. I also have a 3D-capable BluRay player, and so far, a good dozen 3D films. My kids have a couple of 3D-capable PS3 games. I can also use the TV to view 3D photographs - I have been taking 3D pictures for over 30 years.

The Dr Who special will probably only be transmitted in 3D on the HD channels, and I am out of range for those. I can't see local cinemas showing it, so I can only hope that it will soon be released on BluRay...

Coo! Are you from the future? Can your R2 unit project holograms of princesses in distress? :D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »

...the BBC made the decision to put it on hold for three years. Look forward to the Moff bragging "more 3D telly than ever!" any time now. :D

Oh blimey. I had forgotten that horrid quote. More terrible PR utterances that with hindsight look dopey.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coo! Are you from the future? Can your R2 unit project holograms of princesses in distress? :D

Depends what sort of distress you mean....
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

The timing of the announcement is strange, not just related to DW, but they announced only earlier this week that the final of Wimbledon will also be shown in 3D. It really does seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing a lot of the time at the BBC.

I just hope that the funding to make the 50th anniversary episode 3D came from some 3D initiative budget (that needed to be used up by the sounds of it) and wasn't at the expensive of 2-3 2D episodes of Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Bless Moffat and his PR statements. I almost feel sorry for him on this one. Obviously (or at least I HOPE!) he wasn't aware that the BBC were about to can 3D when he said that.

But... really... excellent though his writing is, he really should leave the PR to someone else :)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The special will be the last 3D thing from the BBC. They're giving up on the format (well, they say they're putting it on hold but all Who fans know what that means). Turns out not enough people own the sets, and people who do own the kit don't use it. (it's the telly equivalent of sandwich toasters, foot spas and exercise bikes).

www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-07-04/bbc-put-3d-projects-on-hold-due-to-lack-of-public-appetite-for-technology
    It was only a limited two-year trial of the format anyway. Now that two years is up, like any other trial the results and reaction has to be looked at and it looks like, despite the initial hype from the TV manufacturers, the format has failed to take off in any big way.

It is therefore a sensible move not to continue with it and waste more money (and bandwidth) on a format that few viewers seem interested in.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it should not date any quicker than the average Dr Who episode,shooting it in 3D doesn't change the programme in any way(3D these days tends to be filmed for depth not sticky out pokey stick gags)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It was only a limited two-year trial of the format anyway. Now that two years is up, like any other trial the results and reaction has to be looked at and it looks like, despite the initial hype from the TV manufacturers, the format has failed to take off in any big way.

It is therefore a sensible move not to continue with it and waste more money (and bandwidth) on a format that few viewers seem interested in.

Correct. Their head of 3D said it very plainly. They were right to trial it and they are right to now shelve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bless Moffat and his PR statements. I almost feel sorry for him on this one. Obviously (or at least I HOPE!) he wasn't aware that the BBC were about to can 3D when he said that.

But... really... excellent though his writing is, he really should leave the PR to someone else :)

Funnily enough that one did sound like it was written by a PR person. But I agree - he's not having any luck at all - either with what he says himself or PR fluff he puts his name to. With people finding all sorts of angles to be a bit deflated about the way the anniversary has been handled "yay! We're using this failed format!" is not much of a rallying cry.

I do have sympathy for him. Nearly every bit of news has either been negative, neutral (at best) or a cock-up (Matt's departure leaked by accident). Even the positive and jolly stuff (the 3 day event in London) comes with an in-built moan angle - costs money and is in London.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the BBC is scrapping it's 3D programming, with the Doctor Who 50th story being one of the last shows to be broadcast in 3D.

Full story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23195479

The inevitable conclusion is that the a lot of the time and effort spent making the Who 50th in 3D was a complete waste - so few people will actually watch this in 3D yet surely a not insignificant chunk of the budget has been spent achieving the 3D-ness of it all. And that's a chunk of budget that the BBC themselves are basically admitting could have been better spent elsewhere...
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    i have a 3d tv, its a great gimmick but that is all it is a gimmick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The timing isn't great but it was a two year trial and I think it is part of the BBC's remit to promote new technologies.

I would also hope that the money to make the 50th episode 3D came from the budget for this initiative rather than Doctor Who's own programming budget.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "lack of public appetite" :p

I can't wait till the digital spy 3D lovers see this story. It's only like, two or three guys, but they keep posting in 3D threads saying it's amazing, and on the up & up. Not according to the beeb it's not.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame the BBC...
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    "lack of public appetite" :p

I can't wait till the digital spy 3D lovers see this story. It's only like, two or three guys, but they keep posting in 3D threads saying it's amazing, and on the up & up. Not according to the beeb it's not.

TBH I think The BBC are giving up too soon. I have a 3D TV, and some of the content looks amazing on it. But, there is too little new stuff out there. The BBC make a few specials per year, and Sky seem to show pretty much the same thing day on day.

The demonstration the BBC had in their foyer at TVC during the Olympics of a glasses free 3D TV was amazing.

I think more people would make use of the technology if there was more content, and by puling out now the BBC is helping kill the format before it gets a proper start
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member

I would also hope that the money to make the 50th episode 3D came from the budget for this initiative rather than Doctor Who's own programming budget.
    It did.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    It did.

I would also hope that the extra time 'tail' needed to produce in 3D did not wag the production dog and impact on the length of the anniversary special.

The viewing figures will make interesting reading though, be funny if this is the show that makes the breakthrough and has everyone enthusing about the 3D, just as the beeb cancels the initiative.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    The viewing figures will make interesting reading though, be funny if this is the show that makes the breakthrough and has everyone enthusing about the 3D, just as the beeb cancels the initiative.
    Somehow, I very much doubt it!