Options

Young Guns Go for It on BBC 4

trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
Forum Member
This is the first episode of 4 and is about Culture Club. Really interesting. Anyone watching this :)

Comments

• Options
    BoiledSpoonsBoiledSpoons Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    This is the first episode of 4 and is about Culture Club. Really interesting. Anyone watching this :)

Caught the last 5minutes. Think I've seen the Human League one, but it'll bear watching again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I remember this series being on a few years ago..........The Culture Club one was really interesting
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it. This series first aired on the BBC in 1999, when I was 15. The Bananarama one is great. I'm a huge fan of the group, especially during the SAW days with hits such as 'Venus', Love In The First Degree', 'I Want You Back', 'Love, Truth and Honesty' and 'Only Your Love,'. Such great hits that I love to listen to on headphones every now and then.

The Bananarama one is on YouTube in it's entirety. It's a greatly improved quality version, so it should be fine to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIydlq6HYlc

I saw this on YouTube, only two months ago, when I was going through a phase of mostly listening to Bananarama CDs.

Now I'm going through a Michael Jackson phase, listening to Jackson 5, Jacksons and solo hits. Also, I'm listening to Janet Jackson too. I've got her 2 disc best of called 'The Best' released in 2009.
  • Options
    BoiledSpoonsBoiledSpoons Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link - that takes me back!
    Saying that, the Human League one is making me feel old...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I realised that these documentaries must have been on before when I saw Malcolm McLaren on the Culture Club one. He has been dead for some time :cool:

The Culture Club doc was interesting. No holds barred regarding George and Jon's relationship and the drug abuse.

Love The Human League and this documentary as well is very well done and fascinating.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up with this now. Watching synth at the bbc.
    Wow, how sexy is Annie Lennox in that tight fitting dress and black wig
    Didn't know the Eurythmics have sold 75 million records !
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I watched the Culture Club one, thought it was really interesting. I'd only intended to watch a snippet but ended up watching it all :)
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Yes, I remember it. This series first aired on the BBC in 1999, when I was 15. The Bananarama one is great. I'm a huge fan of the group, especially during the SAW days with hits such as 'Venus', Love In The First Degree', 'I Want You Back', 'Love, Truth and Honesty' and 'Only Your Love,'. Such great hits that I love to listen to on headphones every now and then.

The Bananarama one is on YouTube in it's entirety. It's a greatly improved quality version, so it should be fine to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIydlq6HYlc

I saw this on YouTube, only two months ago, when I was going through a phase of mostly listening to Bananarama CDs.

Now I'm going through a Michael Jackson phase, listening to Jackson 5, Jacksons and solo hits. Also, I'm listening to Janet Jackson too. I've got her 2 disc best of called 'The Best' released in 2009.

Just to let people know that Bananarama and The Smiths episodes are on BBC4 next saturday night.

Realy love the Bananarama episode when I first saw it. Im actually seeing them in concert at an 80's festival in a few weeks time so its a perfect time for me to watch these episodes again. Its getting me right in the mood for the festival !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched the Culture Club one, thought it was really interesting. I'd only intended to watch a snippet but ended up watching it all :)

Me too :) I became engrossed.
    pete137 wrote: »
    Just to let people know that Bananarama and The Smiths episodes are on BBC4 next saturday night.

Realy love the Bananarama episode when I first saw it. Im actually seeing them in concert at an 80's festival in a few weeks time so its a perfect time for me to watch these episodes again. Its getting me right in the mood for the festival !

I shall certainly watch. They seem very well done pieces. Just the right length too.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the Bananarama one last night on catch up.

Very funny. Even after they'd had a few smash hit singles (let's not forget Pop was very BIG in the 80s) and been flown club class around the world they still returned to a shitty little flat in London with a payphone on the wall and signing on the dole!
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Watched the Bananarama one last night on catch up.

Very funny. Even after they'd had a few smash hit singles (let's not forget Pop was very BIG in the 80s) and been flown club class around the world they still returned to a shitty little flat in London with a payphone on the wall and signing on the dole!

This was the good old days when artists actually had to work hard to "make it" and even when you thought you had made it, you had to work even harder to "realy" make it ! Now everything is handed on a plate to these divas off reality shows etc.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So true Pete, wish they would put an end to all these Reality shows, the ones that make 'celebrities' out of nobodies X Factor audition rejects are a prime example of this.
  • Options
    AmiciAmici Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    This was the good old days when artists actually had to work hard to "make it" and even when you thought you had made it, you had to work even harder to "realy" make it ! Now everything is handed on a plate to these divas off reality shows etc.

Loads of pop stars from Banarama's generation were really screwed over contracts-wise, and often ended up with no money - that's the one thing that's slightly improved.

I like the fact that Bananrama turned up for the Band Aid recording in their own car, hung over and sans make-up. Can you imagine a pop act being allowed to do that today?
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just noticed these are on again. BBC4 are only showing 3 of the first series which means they are not showing The Smiths episode.

Any reason why this might be?
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame. I would have liked to have seen that.

I didn't watch the Bananarama or Culture Club progs, 'cos I wasn't a fan, but I really enjoyed the Human League.( But I would have liked to have seen more of the early stuff)
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was also the days where artists didn't have stylists or yes men to see to their every whim.

What I liked about Bananarama in the old days (pre-SAW) was that their style was self-made. They did their own hair, made their own clothes and they were happy to slum it by rehearsing in someone's back room or garage. Also as somebody else said they turned up to Band Aid in their own car and had no ideas of grandeur. They just took each day as it come and had a laugh. They looked like girls who would be good fun on a night out down the pub and they would let you join in rather than the standoffish bitchy girls that some other girlband members can come across as.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    I've just noticed these are on again. BBC4 are only showing 3 of the first series which means they are not showing The Smiths episode.

Any reason why this might be?

They did this last year as well. It's getting a bit annoying as they did make more episodes (Series 2 featured Madness and Soft Cell). Would be nice to see different episodes.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any known reasons why there not showing the smiths episode? My sky guide listed it as a 4 episode series, I was holding out for a smiths night on BBC4 like they've done with madness and rem in the past..
    Off topic a little but has anyone noticed when they occasionally air episodes from the sounds of the 80s series, several artists are missing from the original broadcasts, boom town rats was one I spotted along with others.. There's a slight pause in kershaw's voice when ones been cut out..