CS Faye's behaviour

Comments

• gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Can I just say the girl who plays the horror which is Faye is so believable. Well done that girl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I can certainly understand that and you're right that it is a very unsympathetic role for any actress to pull off.

My problem, (and it is totally the fault of the writers, not the actress), is that from day one, they have failed to give us even occasional glimpses of Faye's softer side, or any real detail of her background and the damage caused, that would have kept the viewers on side and able to empathise with her.

We have only been shown her as nasty, manipulative, aggressive and generally unpleasant right from the beginning, to the extent that it's simply not believable that Anna would apparently love her so much and now we all just want to see the little brat get her just deserts and disappear off our screens asap.

I really think Corrie have wasted a good opportunity on this one. :(

Great post there! :)

I dont about that quite just yet i cant stand Faye it is virtually impossible to like this girl and i would love to see the back of her!

BUT if this thing with Tim is played right and Tim is the real deal and is her dad we could be walking down the route of Tim rejecting her again then walking away and thus Faye realizing that Anna is the one person in the world she can truely rely on which could generate a much different side to her which could almost make the character likable!

Because i think deep down Anna has been shown to be a belter of a person through out all of this she has massively improved i reckon still clinging onto the hope that she can still love that monster! But i do think there is something there worth saving between these two if its done right!
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axl rose wrote: »
    Hi and welcome. When Fay smiled I didn't see that as her soft side. I saw it as her wanting Anna all to herself and that she was prepared to do anything to get her own way.

that is true that could have been her motivation. but who would blame her for wanting her mum's full attention after being in foster homes? adopting a child is a challenge, its not like getting a puppy that you can send back if it pees on the carpet too many times. its a massive commitment and i personally think Anna would never have been approved. i'm assuming she must have been to court and Faye is officially hers, otherwise i'm amazed there wasn't SS involvement when Owen moved in.

admittedly, i wouldn't have had Owen in my house after he smashed up her laptop, whether she was adopted or my birth child, call me fussy but that violent thug would have been history.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AGREE. Anna is so annoying and such a bad mum. If she hadn't carried on with bully Owen despite him attacking Faye maybe Faye might have had a chance but there you go :mad:

Totally disagree. The one at fault has always been Faye.
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    that is true that could have been her motivation. but who would blame her for wanting her mum's full attention after being in foster homes? adopting a child is a challenge, its not like getting a puppy that you can send back if it pees on the carpet too many times. its a massive commitment and i personally think Anna would never have been approved. i'm assuming she must have been to court and Faye is officially hers, otherwise i'm amazed there wasn't SS involvement when Owen moved in.

admittedly, i wouldn't have had Owen in my house after he smashed up her laptop, whether she was adopted or my birth child, call me fussy but that violent thug would have been history.

In real life as a prospective adoptive parent, if you are told about a child that you don't think you will be able to cope with are you 'put to the back of the queue' so to speak or are you matched with children that the powers that be think will be suited to you and vice versa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In real life as a prospective adoptive parent, if you are told about a child that you don't think you will be able to cope with are you 'put to the back of the queue' so to speak or are you matched with children that the powers that be think will be suited to you and vice versa

you're told to be completely honest. so if you have any doubts whatsoever you're told to say so, because the very last thing they want is it breaking down and the child ending up in care again.

in theory saying no shouldn't put you to the back of the queue, but admittedly we haven't put this to the test, we have been shown a profile of one child and we see nothing in that that we think we can't overcome. ours is a more straightforward match with a much younger child though.so fingers crossed we will be going ahead in the next couple of months :)

i could see why some adoptive parents would be tempted to take 'any' child though, as you feel so sorry for them. and some may think they've waited so long (as matching can be a slow process) they will accept a child that doesn't feel 100% right because they so want to be parents. But they're doing no one any favours.

As Anna and Eddie were willing to adopt an older child though, I imagine they would have had dozens of children available so they wouldn't have waited long if they'd felt they couldn't have coped with Faye. Maybe Corrie should have done a longer storyline with SS explaining about Faye's behaviour and issues, not just rocked up with her.
  • axl roseaxl rose Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're told to be completely honest. so if you have any doubts whatsoever you're told to say so, because the very last thing they want is it breaking down and the child ending up in care again.

in theory saying no shouldn't put you to the back of the queue, but admittedly we haven't put this to the test, we have been shown a profile of one child and we see nothing in that that we think we can't overcome. ours is a more straightforward match with a much younger child though.so fingers crossed we will be going ahead in the next couple of months :)

i could see why some adoptive parents would be tempted to take 'any' child though, as you feel so sorry for them. and some may think they've waited so long (as matching can be a slow process) they will accept a child that doesn't feel 100% right because they so want to be parents. But they're doing no one any favours.

As Anna and Eddie were willing to adopt an older child though, I imagine they would have had dozens of children available so they wouldn't have waited long if they'd felt they couldn't have coped with Faye. Maybe Corrie should have done a longer storyline with SS explaining about Faye's behaviour and issues, not just rocked up with her.

Thanks for reply. How much is an older child kept informed about their potential adoption. I take it they wouldn't be told until the process was quite far along so as to avoid disappointment? I wish you all the luck in the world with your adoption x
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Totally disagree. The one at fault has always been Faye.

Faye is badly behaved because she wants all of the attention and all of the love. She is vulnerable and needy and knowing this Anna adopted her but then turned her attentions elsewhere. She has let Faye down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reply. How much is an older child kept informed about their potential adoption. I take it they wouldn't be told until the process was quite far along so as to avoid disappointment? I wish you all the luck in the world with your adoption x

thanks. :D

i must admit i'm not sure about the answer to your Q but you'd imagine/hope so wouldn't you? otherwise it would be so cruel to a child who is old enough to understand she's getting a new 'forever' mum and dad.

They don't just dish the children out like smarties either, like they seemed to do with Faye. So far we've met our child's social worker, foster mother, another care assistant involved in their care, the SW for their birth mum, the community nurse involved in their care since birth (bit like a health visitor) and we have to meet a SS medical advisor. so you get to ask loads of Qs and if there is anything worrying you you get chance to explore that before you say yes.

Then we'll have to go to a panel to be approved, and then it has to go to a senior decision maker to give the final yes or no. i forget when we were told about this potential match, I think it was mid March? and it'll be at least mid June before we will meet them, assuming all goes well.

Which one reason why this storyline makes me laugh. OK, they need to speed it up a bit for TV, but the quickness in which they approved Tim being able to see Faye was ridiculous. :eek:
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    thanks. :D

i must admit i'm not sure about the answer to your Q but you'd imagine/hope so wouldn't you? otherwise it would be so cruel to a child who is old enough to understand she's getting a new 'forever' mum and dad.

They don't just dish the children out like smarties either, like they seemed to do with Faye. So far we've met our child's social worker, foster mother, another care assistant involved in their care, the SW for their birth mum, the community nurse involved in their care since birth (bit like a health visitor) and we have to meet a SS medical advisor. so you get to ask loads of Qs and if there is anything worrying you you get chance to explore that before you say yes.

Then we'll have to go to a panel to be approved, and then it has to go to a senior decision maker to give the final yes or no. i forget when we were told about this potential match, I think it was mid March? and it'll be at least mid June before we will meet them, assuming all goes well.

Which one reason why this storyline makes me laugh. OK, they need to speed it up a bit for TV, but the quickness in which they approved Tim being able to see Faye was ridiculous. :eek:
    I think all they did was carry out a CRB check on him. It is up to Anna to decide who Faye sees, not social services.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this has been discussed already, but don't biological parents lose all rights to their children once they have been adopted?
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all they did was carry out a CRB check on him. It is up to Anna to decide who Faye sees, not social services.

What actually is the involvement of Social Services after an adoption has gone through? I thought they then were not part of the child's life unless there was a particular problem and the adoption was breaking down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What actually is the involvement of Social Services after an adoption has gone through? I thought they then were not part of the child's life unless there was a particular problem and the adoption was breaking down.

to be fair though, bio-dad rocking up would be an issue where you'd need SS guidance. well, other than weatherfield SS obviously who are seemingly hopeless ;)

adopted children can see their bio-parents or bio-siblings (the second being more likely) but there are loads of factors that would be considered first, such as the child's wishes, maturity of the child, whether it would be a positive thing for them, non disruptive etc. so if Tim did approach them they'd look into it. but we're talking about Faye seeing him once a year or something, not a day-to-day relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes, absolutely. i'd be getting a restraining order out if he didn't respect my wishes, if i was Faye's adoptive mum
    Forum Member
    LilAngel wrote: »
    Maybe this has been discussed already, but don't biological parents lose all rights to their children once they have been adopted?
    Yes they lose all rights. Even though adoption agencies sometimes give the impression that contact with biological parents is compulsory, after the adoption has gone through there is no way to enforce this.
    In theory no involvement is necessary but most agencies will provide advice and support if needed.
    Forum Member
    yes, absolutely. i'd be getting a restraining order out if he didn't respect my wishes, if i was Faye's adoptive mum

Me too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Faye is badly behaved because she wants all of the attention and all of the love. She is vulnerable and needy and knowing this Anna adopted her but then turned her attentions elsewhere. She has let Faye down.

She hasn't let Faye down. No child gets all the attention and all the love, because it has to be shared with other people, whether it is a partner or a sibling or another family member. Pandering to her possessiveness would turn her into even more of a monster than she is already. Even being vulnerable and needy doesn't give anyone the right to dictate what relationships other people can have. It's Anna's job as a mum to provide a normal family life with all the compromises and give and take that involves, not to make Faye think she has a right to be the centre of the universe, reinforcing her bad behaviour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    While I don't especially like Faye, I think people are being a little hard on her. Yes, she is a brat, but no more bratty than a lot of ten year olds, especially for a child that's been in care most of her life. I don't think Anna has handled it very well at all, she's just met her dad after years of being in care, yet it seems like Anna expected her to not be that bothered. Anna is supposed to be the adult in the relationship, yet she is putting her own feelings before Faye's and behaving like a jealous child herself. Of course a child who's grown up in care is going to want to spend a lot time with a parent she's just met. This wouldn't of happened if she had allowed Faye to spend the time she wanted with her Dad instead of being stand-offish towards him and trying to stop them seeing each other because she's jealous of their relationship.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigermama wrote: »
    She hasn't let Faye down. No child gets all the attention and all the love, because it has to be shared with other people, whether it is a partner or a sibling or another family member. Pandering to her possessiveness would turn her into even more of a monster than she is already. Even being vulnerable and needy doesn't give anyone the right to dictate what relationships other people can have. It's Anna's job as a mum to provide a normal family life with all the compromises and give and take that involves, not to make Faye think she has a right to be the centre of the universe, reinforcing her bad behaviour.

But Anna is acting possessive herself. If Faye wants a relationship with her birth father, and it's not doing her any harm, why can't Anna be happy for her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Anna is acting possessive herself. If Faye wants a relationship with her birth father, and it's not doing her any harm, why can't Anna be happy for her?

In theory, if i get my adopted child, and their mum or dad showed up, I'd like to think I'd be noble and be happy for them to see the child.

In reality though, I imagine I'd be gutted and heart broken, and very very jealous. I think Anna's reaction isn't that implausable.

Even if SS recommended she consider it though, it wouldn't be a relationship on the basis of him living over the road, hanging round all the time like a bad smell. That's bound to disrupt the child's relationship with their new mum/family, even if he's a decent fella. Realistically at her age it'd be a visit once a year or something, at a SS contact centre.
  • silly sausagesilly sausage Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who adopt and foster are hero's

not always. I am the product of an adoption and my adoptive mother was the coldest, most aggressive, violent woman I have ever had the misfortune to meet. She wanted a baby. She got bored when I became a little person
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not always. I am the product of an adoption and my adoptive mother was the coldest, most aggressive, violent woman I have ever had the misfortune to meet. She wanted a baby. She got bored when I became a little person

i'm sorry to hear that :(

i hope i won't be like that. i'm not a baby person admittedly, i just want a family. it irks me when i hear mothers bemoaning their babies growing up, i think watching them develop into a child and an adult is the most exciting thing about being a parent.
    Forum Member
    i'm sorry to hear that :(

i hope i won't be like that. i'm not a baby person admittedly, i just want a family. it irks me when i hear mothers bemoaning their babies growing up, i think watching them develop into a child and an adult is the most exciting thing about being a parent.

I do too, and I have enjoyed every minute of mine. :) I hope everything turns out nicely for you all.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Tigermama wrote: »

Faye is a troubled child who is very need and Anna knew this when she adopted her but instead of focussing completely on this vulnerable charge she started a relationship with a local thug and invited him into her home and let him stay even after this thug attacked Faye :eek:

If Anna wasn't prepared to focus on Faye 100% she shouldn't have adopted her but Anna wanted to be mum again :rolleyes:

Anna has seriously let Faye down and unfortunately she is suffering the consequences now.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory, if i get my adopted child, and their mum or dad showed up, I'd like to think I'd be noble and be happy for them to see the child.

In reality though, I imagine I'd be gutted and heart broken, and very very jealous. I think Anna's reaction isn't that implausable.

Even if SS recommended she consider it though, it wouldn't be a relationship on the basis of him living over the road, hanging round all the time like a bad smell. That's bound to disrupt the child's relationship with their new mum/family, even if he's a decent fella. Realistically at her age it'd be a visit once a year or something, at a SS contact centre.

I agree it's not implausable, However i can'thelp thinking that the important thing is giving a child love and stability, not being jealous of her relationships with other people? If you love someone you have to give them the space to be themselves and not to make them feel that it's wrong to have affection for people other than your adopted family.

To my mind, expecting Faye to give up seeing her biological father is actually cruel. It makes me feel that neither Owen or Anna are fit to be parents. If Anna could bring herself to accept Faye's relationship with Tim they may be able to work things out.