Options

Atlantis premiere: potential 50th teaser/trailer/other promotion?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Hardly worth the effort of complaining about it though.

But it's worth the effort of complaining about the complainers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starts stopwatch....

"That teaser was a bit short"

...stop stopwatch.

Damn, I guess I'll never get those wasted seconds back.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for you to decide, is it.
    But that is simply one poster putting forward his opinion, not a dictat or advisory notice to others (at least, that's not how it came across to me).
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Weren't they wearing brown coats in the leaked pics? Maybe it was just the lighting but they certainly did not look blue.

Pretty sure everyone in the thread realises that it's just the start of the campaign. What people are (mainly) complaining about is the BBC making such a big deal out of a 13 second sting.

Announcing it before hand (when it would have worked better being a total surprise) and Saying how it will be available to watch again and again on the website (who would want to?).

What big announcement beforehand?!

I freely admit to being over 30 so not into social networking or Twitter in particular. That said...

Most people would not have been aware that the stings had been announced.

Some fans would've complained had they missed them if they'd not been informed beforehand (regardless of if they could catch them later on Youtube). What exactly were the BBC to do to avoid complaints? How would those complaining have dealt with it?

To complain about an announcement is to completely miss the point of the stings.

The general audience were reminded that Doctor Who is returning. Job done. Fans should be happy about that, because, like it or not, the show wouldn't survive without the general audience.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    What big announcement beforehand?!

I freely admit to being over 30 so not into social networking or Twitter in particular. That said...

Most people would not have been aware that the stings had been announced.

Some fans would've complained had they missed them if they'd not been informed beforehand (regardless of if they could catch them later on Youtube). What exactly were the BBC to do to avoid complaints? How would those complaining have dealt with it?

To complain about an announcement is to completely miss the point of the stings.

The general audience were reminded that Doctor Who is returning. Job done. Fans should be happy about that, because, like it or not, the show wouldn't survive without the general audience.

Across social media the official BBC feeds told FANS ie not casual viewers to tune in for this little treat. They then advised that the material would be available for weeks to come so fans could rewatch. Unsurprisingly this led some fans to reasonably expect something slightly more impressive than what they were given. I would dearly love to know what planet the BBC are on if they think those stings are worthy of multiple viewings.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for you to decide, is it.
    Actually I am entitled to express an opinion. I still maintain that complaining that the BBC announced in advance that the promotional campaign was about to start is pretty trivial.

(And yes - let me save you the bother - I'm aware that suggesting this is equally trivial.)
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Across social media the official BBC feeds told FANS ie not casual viewers to tune in for this little treat. They then advised that the material would be available for weeks to come so fans could rewatch. Unsurprisingly this led some fans to reasonably expect something slightly more impressive than what they were given.
    I would point out again that the BBC spelt out in precise detail exactly what was going to appear last night.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »

I do love the way we try to separate ourselves from the huddled masses. Fans are part of the general audience, we aren't a distinct entity. We aren't a unified entity either, just a few minutes on this forum would prove that :) We don't speak with one voice, we like and hate different things about the show just as any other viewer does.

Is there any difference between someone talking about the show on here compared to someone talking about it on Facebook or Twitter (shorter dialogue notwithstanding :) )? There's a weird self-deprecating trend that's started of late regarding "fans". Your opinion and my opinion are just as important as any other viewer of the show and the BBC know that.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    I do love the way we try to separate ourselves from the huddled masses. Fans are part of the general audience, we aren't a distinct entity. We aren't a unified entity either, just a few minutes on this forum would prove that :) We don't speak with one voice, we like and hate different things about the show just as any other viewer does.

Is there any difference between someone talking about the show on here compared to someone talking about it on Facebook or Twitter (shorter dialogue notwithstanding :) )? There's a weird self-deprecating trend that's started of late regarding "fans". Your opinion and my opinion are just as important as any other viewer of the show and the BBC know that.

VERY well said, this "grading" of the shows viewers by some posters is elitist nonsense IMO.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »

I'm not sure what your point is. Were you making a point about something in my posts, or was it just a general observation?

All I noted was that fans are different from the general audience and that BBC marketing pay attention to that and make use of the differences. I implied nothing about inferiority or otherwise of fans (though I know other posters here do).

Fans are a subset of the total audience. Though not separate, they are distinct.