Golf: Ryder Cup 2014 Official Thread!!

croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After our comeback in 2012 what can we expect for this years Ryder Cup held for the first time in Scotland at the fabulous Gleneagles Hotel??

Can we go back to that comeback win on foreign soil and draw inspiration - the first two days with the memory of Seve fresh in our minds we were absolutely flat (everything they touched was gold and we weren't even near silver) and it took Poulter to give us a sniff ... the rest as they say is history and quite possibly sporting folklore.

But America seem to have added 2 or 3 world class and in form players to the mix and the majority of our steady eddie types have started treading water (Donald, Westwood, Kaymer) almost to the point of saying it would take a minor miracle for them even to qualify ... but 6 months is a lifetime in golf and things can change very quickly. As it stands though you would take their rookies over ours ... we look like a team in transition.

Let the battle commence and it will be interesting to see how many folks are left making wild picks on this thread because you know that every winner will put their case forward.

I think you would have to be very optimistic on current form to pick Team Europe though at the present moment.

Comments

• charlieparrcharlieparr Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    European team would currently look something like:

Bjorn
    Dubuisson
    Poulter
    Stenson

Garcia
    McIlroy
    Donaldson
    Rose
    Luiten

*Donald
    *Westwood
    *McDowell

I think the captain would like one or two of the current *picks to qualify automatically, but 5 of the top 9 look strong contenders to base the team around.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes this thread differ from an "unofficial" one ? :)
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure Westwood will be involved this time think McDowell will do enough to qualify automatically
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bjorn
    Dubuisson
    Poulter
    Stenson

Garcia
    McIlroy
    Donaldson
    Rose
    Luiten

*Donald
    *Westwood
    *McDowell

I think the captain would like one or two of the current *picks to qualify automatically, but 5 of the top 9 look strong contenders to base the team around.

I think that is the problem both Westwood & Donald have been quite horrific this past 12 months - they would both need to start showing a bit of form to even be considered imho. You can probably put Martin Kaymer in that bracket as well ...
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubuisson looks a good addition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Dubuisson looks a good addition

Probably sealed his place tonight
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Probably sealed his place tonight

Can't believe how this guy is playing tonight. Some amazing shots. Watching in awe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Can't believe how this guy is playing tonight. Some amazing shots. Watching in awe

Name on trophy it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a finish to the Honda Classic tonight!!:o

Never seen so many players make so many mistakes on a tough day. McIlroy looks to have completely bottled it going from 13 under to 7 under ... the rest of the field are playing like handicappers and if he loses this I am not sure how he will explain it ... oh and Tiger pulled out with a back injury after having a complete nightmare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shot from McIlroy at the 18th :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a shot - one of the best I have seen ... ever!!

He might need to hole the putt to stay alive though.

Cancel that 2 putts for a play off - eagle to win..^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 man playoff!!

2 brits in the mix including Russell Knox going for his 1st PGA win.
  • Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit early to create a thread for the Ryder cup! Maybe you should of just called it the 2014 Golf thread as that's what it's turning out to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after this weekend I think it is quite clear that we cannot rely on Westwood or Donald to be main men for the team any longer (a changing of the guard is required) ... their aura has certainly gone over the last 18 months. Of course in 6 months time both of them might play themselves into the team, but neither can string two decent rounds together as it stands and in matchplay they would get beat even by a steady player.

USA are looking to have a bigger talent pool than us at present and they have quite a few players bang on form - if we have to rely on the likes of Westwood and Donald then I think we will come up way short.

Only two breakthrough players have been Victor Dubuisoon and Thomas Bjorn and given that Bjorn is one of the softest players on tour I really don't see how we can match up in any shape or form.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    If the ryder cup was in the next week then I think America would win it. At the moment we do not enough players who are playing well. If you look at the Americans who could potentially qualify they are always at the top of the leaderboard. There's stll 6 months to go and I hope our players find some form.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger's out of the Masters

Must be a doubt for the Ryder Cup
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't be much of a loss considering Woods has only won 14.5 out of 33 points and America won without him in 2008.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    baring in mind the lack of interest in golf in france does it deserve to stage it in 2018?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what a difference a couple of months make eh??

Well done to Martin Kaymer on his epic win at the Players Champsionship - balls of steel to hole that putt on 17th when he looked "gone". Conditions were very questionable after the restart and I would have hated to see him throw it away.

Most of the Europeans have been playing well with 6 of the victorious team finishing in the top 6 places today.

The tide has maybe turned for 3 or 4 of the big name Europeans and some of the American top guns have hit a sticky patch ... game on methinks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't find a golf thread so this will do !,

Didn't bother watching any of the golf today( or checking the scores) as I thought Bjorn had it sewn up

He didn't win. Rory put his recent tribulations behind him to win fom 7 shots back

Maybe he's going to start winning regularly again...
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »

Maybe he's going to start winning regularly again...

Amazingly today was the first event he has ever won in Europe.

It looks like Monty is about to win the US Seniors PGA Championship, his maiden major title. Hopefully someone is brave enough to tell him it's not a really a proper major. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly today was the first event he has ever won in Europe.

It looks like Monty is about to win the US Seniors PGA Championship, his maiden major title. Hopefully someone is brave enough to tell him it's not a really a proper major. ;)

Didn't realise that about McIlroy

Congrats to Monty on his win

Just saw his approach to the 18th on SSN. The Gods were definitely smiling on him today:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bjorn
    Dubuisson
    Poulter
    Stenson

Garcia
    McIlroy
    Donaldson
    Rose
    Luiten

*Donald
    *Westwood
    *McDowell

3 months later and the provisional team would be something like:

Dubuisson
    Donaldson
    Bjorn
    Stenson

McIlroy
    Garcia
    Donald
    Rose
    Kaymer

3 picks from Poulter/Jiminez/Westwood/McDowell

Looks like a pretty strong side, and at current odds of 10/11 well worth a punt :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For comparison the USA team is currently something along the lines of:

Bubba WATSON
    Jimmy WALKER
    Matt KUCHAR
    Jordan SPIETH
    Dustin JOHNSON
    Jim FURYK
    Patrick REED
    Phil MICKELSON
    Zach JOHNSON

Jason DUFNER (10)
    Webb SIMPSON (14)
    Ricky FOWLER (16)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 months later and the provisional team would be something like:

Dubuisson
    Donaldson
    Bjorn
    Stenson

McIlroy
    Garcia
    Donald
    Rose
    Kaymer

3 picks from Poulter/Jiminez/Westwood/McDowell

Looks like a pretty strong side, and at current odds of 10/11 well worth a punt :)

I think Luiten might still make it and don't write off Stephen Gallagher. Jiminez looks to be in good touch and while I'm sure they'll pick Poults I would like to see some solid form out of the guy before heading to Gleneagles. Rose worries me, Garcia always worries me, after last sunday you can add Bjorn to that list too..

Long way to go yet though.