Scottish government to pay POLL TAX ARREARS

Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
Forum Member
✭✭
I see that the Scottish Government is to pay POLL TAX arrears for all of those that refused to pay it.

Should the SG pay private debts with public Money?

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Poll-Tax-arrears-collection-to-be-scrapped-10c8.aspx

Comments

• Mc256Mc256 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Cheats charter!
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the Scottish Government is to pay POLL TAX arrears for all of those that refused to pay it.

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Poll-Tax-arrears-collection-to-be-scrapped-10c8.aspx

I guess it will be a matter for Scottish taxpayers to decide at the election, although it would be interesting to hear the legal arguments if a taxpayer refused to pay his share to cover it and went to court.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. It was abolished over 20 years ago.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that slightly missing the point in that they have refused to pay it on principal now the Scottish government is just going to give in an pay it. :confused:
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    clinch wrote: »
    I guess it will be a matter for Scottish taxpayers to decide at the election, although it would be interesting to hear the legal arguments if a taxpayer refused to pay his share to cover it and went to court.

Trouble is you could use the same argument with anything, ie energy companies write off millions every year so have to pass the cost over to other energy uses, and debt agencies buy these debts at very little cost, and when that is done the energy companies dont get any of the money back, the debt company keeps all the money. Because once the debt is sold it is no longer anthing to do with the energy company, as the debt company is not trying to recover the debt for the energy company, but for themselves
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will people who did pay up now be entitled to a refund?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    They're not *paying* the arrears; they're not collecting them, a subtle difference. It's not like the UK government bailing out the banking system with bilions of pounds.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not *paying* the arrears; they're not collecting them, a subtle difference.

They are compensating councils for not being allowed to collect them so they are paying them.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Scottish Government is using taxpayers money to pay the tax arrears for those who refused to pay? You couldn't make it up.

There are lots of taxes I don't like paying. Which ones should I be let off with?
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how many of the food banks they like going on about so much they could have funded with this money...
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The community charge was much better than the council tax but Labour changed it's name to something catchy and demonised it just as they are doing with the spare room subsidy. The government should never have given in to the rioting scum it should have stuck to it's guns just as it should with the so called "bedroom tax".
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "spare room subsidy" name is as much made up as the "poll tax" name was (it's actually called the "underoccupancy penalty"). And, no, I don't agree with it whatever people want to call it.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

I'm afraid not, I've just spoken to James Dornan my msp who is insisting this a correct and sensible way forward.

Note to everyone in Scotland, stop paying your council tax the SNP will pick up the bill.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's very little I ever agree with Salmond on but on the following it's a no brainer
    The electoral register should not be used to collect debts from a defunct tax – something which is even more important given the unprecedentedly high levels of democratic engagement we have seen recently.
    It's fundamentally wrong to charge people for the right to vote
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

Nobody is being charged for the right to vote.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year the total Community Charge arrears collected in all of Scotland was less than £400k. Divide that between 32 councils and you are talking just over £10k per council.

While this level may increase, the cost of the process would virtually outweigh the income realised and many of those in arrears will now be pensioners with little ability to pay.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Nobody is being charged for the right to vote.

That was the net effect.

By registering for the electoral roll you made yourself instantly liable to pay the Community Charge.

To avoid what was a regressive tax people didn't register.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    There's very little I ever agree with Salmond on but on the following it's a no brainer

they aren't though. it's just more salmond nonsense

creditors should be able to use any legitimate legal means to recover debts, and in the case of this type of debt in particular the government/councils should use every power in it's means to recover the sums. it's just political spin from one side that says this is some kind of punishment for debt cheating yes voters, when the reality is it's just a consequence of circumstances

there were/are options available for people who genuinely couldn't afford to pay, as those options should be used for those in those circumstances. if people are taken to court and forced to pay up and still don't and wages are arrested, the table based system will only deduct money if people earn enough. on the other hand, those who can afford to pay it would end up paying it. and why shouldn't they pay their debts? why should other tax payers who did pay their debts, including those who struggled to do so, end up paying debts incurred by those who could have paid but didn't?

it's a huge sum of money. the whole thing stinks of another salmond selfish idea for him to have some lasting memory on the public of doing something that some consider good. to try and cover his miserably failed attempt at independence. the country already wasted huge sums of money in the referendum, and now he wants to waste more by writing off a massive debt that could be legally reclaimed. in the last 2 years 2 million or so was reclaimed

I don't know why things like national insurance numbers can't be used to trace more debtors and get these type of debts reclaimed by wage arrestments, so it's not solely the voting register that's required to chase these debts
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member

Yeah you see in Scotland the left is committed to the absolute destruction of Labour as political force in this country now and exposing their support for penalising the poor for daring to vote is a worth all the public money it costs. By destroying Labour we'll be better placed to get a Yes vote in the next referendum.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, the government did so for the banks - to the tune of billions.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

are you entitled to a tax rebate as Inland Revenue has a 6 year cut off for taking action?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listen to this, Salmond utterly rips Jim Gifford apart, almost reduces him to tears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027v2p8
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I was thinking. This makes me feel that I'm a mug for paying the tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. This makes me feel that I'm a mug for paying the tax.

If you can avoid tax for 6 years, Inland Revenue cant legally pursue you. The only difference here is poll tax debt has 20 years before it's time barred.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beyond ridiculous that there are still arrears sitting on the books. Any private sector business would have sorted it out years ago. Either pursue or write off. Reality is that write off is the only option at this stage. This just sounds like a bit of politicking using the words 'Poll Tax'.