Options

Nurun Ahmed

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    What exactly did she contribute to the win then?

Clearly she was being hung out to dry, but she might have survived a loss because of that. As it was she lucked a win because the other team were even worse, just like Sarah on the previous task.

I agree she's likeable, and that's probably partly because she isn't one of the sharks. I don't think she will, or should, learn to be like one either.

Yes but she was still did better than Sarah, ok that's not saying much at all as it wasn't by that much and alsoit would be incredibly difficult to do worse than Sarah to be honest as Sarah pulled off one of the worst PM performances that has ever been seen.
  • Options
    Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The female team are a nightmare at the moment, I think anyone would have a problem managing them.

Either Nurun showed a lack of assertiveness in agreeing to be project manager just because other people told her she had to be, or she cunningly thought it was a good idea to get being PM out of the way when there were plenty of people to blame if it didn't go right. Time will tell but I think she might have some nouse underneath the mild exterior.

I liked her interview at the end - "Well we only won by a little bit but so what? A win's a win" - perfectly willing to take the credit :D She might go far.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The win was nothing to do with her really. Her pitch was embarrassingly bad and she caved in over the tacky lapel lights. She knew that was a bad idea but caved in to Bianca and her "market research" (one person in the street liked the idea).

Having let them push the PM role onto her she couldn't even get their attention at the inital meeting. She just caved in. Someone with no presence like that is never going to succeed as an entrepreneur.

BIB. And what the "woman in the street" liked, wasn't what was the end product anyway. What they pitched to her was the LAPELS changing colour, not a few fairy lights on the lapel edge.

Nurun had no chance, as I feel the girls decided that they needed a scapegoat early, so Nurun was chosen to be the sacrifice.

Like her, but any time she comes in to LS's spotlight, she will be toast!.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Nurun but I think she will struggle around so many strong personalities. It was obvious that she wasn't comfortable taking on the role of TM but Bianca led the charge in more or less pushing her to take it on and put her neck on the line. I think she might have been in trouble had they lost the task as she didn't reign in all the ideas people were having and ultimately she never took control and decided to try to please everyone to keep them happy.

That being said I don't think she is the weakest on the girl's team, at least she accepted the role of TM, a few others are willing to hide in the background and hope they don't do anything to get noticed so they can get through.
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggesting decadence without knowing the meaning was really bad for her. got off to a bad start. Then saying on the phone that the solar panel is stitched under the fabric was even worse. Top it off with a choked pitch or non pitch and you have an early candidate for firing. Nurun does not have the intellect to go further i am afraid.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Sadly, she seems to be fulfilling a quota rather than being an appropriate candidate. It can't end well.

Sarah must be fulfilling the quota of blonde bimbos ;-):) - I think she did a worse job than Nurun as PM in the first task, and contributed zero in the second.

As Apprentice history has shown us, the 'nice' ones rarely go far. She'll probably earn a 'with regret' before she's fired. :D
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Suggesting decadence without knowing the meaning was really bad for her. got off to a bad start. Then saying on the phone that the solar panel is stitched under the fabric was even worse. Top it off with a choked pitch or non pitch and you have an early candidate for firing. Nurun does not have the intellect to go further i am afraid.
    To be fair none of them knew what decadence meant. They all liked the sound of it.
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's too nice and easily railroaded by the other girls imo
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She strongly reminds me of Uzma in S9 who both have Muslim names and both are...out of depth.

She is prettier than Uzma though.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Sadly, she seems to be fulfilling a quota rather than being an appropriate candidate. It can't end well.

does a quota even exist......I would assume there are more people of ethnic minority this season then there has been in every other season
  • Options
    Matt_HarbinsonMatt_Harbinson Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I thought she was a poor manager; she was indecisive and constantly unsure of herself which was clear all the way through. In terms of rest of process, I think she'll go back into background again and will probably go out soon. I expected her to be a lot stronger and direct from her interview. In reality, it was the one reasonable pitch from Ella to online retailer that actually gave the team any orders giving them a win. If it hadn't been, I reckon it would have been 0 orders for both teams. I guess that would have resulted in firings on both teams.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    She strongly reminds me of Uzma in S9 who both have Muslim names and both are...out of depth.

She doesn't remind me of Uzma at all. I didn't like Uzma very much, she seemed to complain a lot. Nurun at least gets on with things.
    does a quota even exist......I would assume there are more people of ethnic minority this season then there has been in every other season

I don't think there are that many. I can only think of seven ethnic minorities out of twenty. Series 2 had six out of fourteen, that's a lot more in comparison. Series 6 also had eight out of sixteen - this includes four Jewish candidates, which is considered to be an ethnicity.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »

I don't get the comparison apart from the Islamic one of course.

The reason I like Nurun is because she comes across as normal, Uzma certainly didn't.

Regarding Nurun's apparent poor performance as PM, the thing to bear in mind is that Nurun did have some gumption to take on the task and some honesty in mentioning that she was a bit out of her depth in this particular task. Also, she was criticised and usurped by others who didn't have the strength of their convictions to take on the PM role themselves. Finally, her team did actually win and she was happy to admit it wasn't a significant one but was pragmatic enough to say 'a win is a win.' :cool:
  • Options
    keeping_it_realkeeping_it_real Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bianca and her "market research" (one person in the street liked the idea).

And that one person in the street was dressed like she was going to a fancy dress party as Dorian from Birds of a Feather!
  • Options
    keeping_it_realkeeping_it_real Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on Nurun, she was too weak in my opinion.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't remind me of Uzma at all. I didn't like Uzma very much, she seemed to complain a lot. Nurun at least gets on with things.

I don't think there are that many. I can only think of seven ethnic minorities out of twenty. Series 2 had six out of fourteen, that's a lot more in comparison. Series 6 also had eight out of sixteen - this includes four Jewish candidates, which is considered to be an ethnicity.

Geez. Being Jewish is not considered an ethnicity. Neither is being Muslim. They are both religions. Anybody of any ethnicity can take a religion. You can get black and Chinese Jews as well as White muslims you know.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems nice but too timid for this show, she doesn't have enough mouth and arrogance to deal with the egos on the team, although having won as PM she won't have to do it for a while so could have a few weeks in her.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Geez. Being Jewish is not considered an ethnicity.

Lord Sugar seems to think it is, considering he frequently describes himself as being both Jewish and Atheist.
  • Options
    yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    Lord Sugar seems to think it is, considering he frequently describes himself as being both Jewish and Atheist.

That's because being Jewish pertains to Race as well as Religion. So he's Jewish by race but does not follow the religion.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Jewish is a race - you can be a Jew and also practice another religion, or none at all. A person with a Jewish mother is considered to be Jewish, regardless of their personal beliefs. That's why there are many physical traits that a lot of Jews share - it's because Judaism is hereditary. I think that sets it apart from other religions - I'd agree that being Muslim isn't a race, because I don't think it is considered to be one. (I'm not an expert, if anyone knows better than me feel free to point that out.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewish is a race - you can be a Jew and also practice another religion, or none at all. A person with a Jewish mother is considered to be Jewish, regardless of their personal beliefs. That's why there are many physical traits that a lot of Jews share - it's because Judaism is hereditary. I think that sets it apart from other religions - I'd agree that being Muslim isn't a race, because I don't think it is considered to be one. (I'm not an expert, if anyone knows better than me feel free to point that out.)
    If you are are a Jew then you would be an Israelite and of course Israel is a nation/race in its own right. Obviously not all Jews are necessarily from Israel but that isn't the point, the point is that the Jews have their own believes but are a nation/race themselves. Basically you can be of Jewish decent but that does not make you a Jew it is your believes that make you a Jew. I hope that makes sense. :p
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Geez. Being Jewish is not considered an ethnicity. Neither is being Muslim. They are both religions. Anybody of any ethnicity can take a religion. You can get black and Chinese Jews as well as White muslims you know.
    I think you're on your own with that statement. If being a Jew was not also an ethnicity then the holocaust would not be classed as genocide.

Jewishness is an ethnicity and a religion. You can be of the Jewish religion and yet not ethnically a Jew. Or you can be both. Or of course you can be ethnically a Jew and not practice Judaism or even be an atheist.

============================================================

Back on topic Nurun is a weak candidate, but she should not have been fired this week. She was not the reason they lost. They sold out of stock, so her lack of sales wasn't important.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A nice woman who was never going to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're on your own with that statement. If being a Jew was not also an ethnicity then the holocaust would not be classed as genocide.

Jewishness is an ethnicity and a religion. You can be of the Jewish religion and yet not ethnically a Jew. Or you can be both. Or of course you can be ethnically a Jew and not practice Judaism or even be an atheist.

============================================================

Back on topic Nurun is a weak candidate, but she should not have been fired this week. She was not the reason they lost. They sold out of stock, so her lack of sales wasn't important.

Nurun's firing was justifiable; she wasn't shown doing much of use - and her PMing session the episode before was too conciliatory - and had she sold more earlier in the day, there would have been less of a requirement to do cheaper deals to get rid of the remaining stock. Therefore, a higher rate of sales earlier would most likely have overcome the £14 deficit.

Admittedly, it's a fine line between blaming someone for having something important to do and doing that wrong, and for blaming someone for simply not adding any value at all, and it's gone either way in the past (and is relatively easy to edit one way or the other).

I thought she came off as likable on YF.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are are a Jew then you would be an Israelite and of course Israel is a nation/race in its own right. Obviously not all Jews are necessarily from Israel but that isn't the point, the point is that the Jews have their own believes but are a nation/race themselves. Basically you can be of Jewish decent but that does not make you a Jew it is your believes that make you a Jew. I hope that makes sense. :p

No it doesn't. As others have said, it's an ethnicity/culture and religion. There are many atheist jews, and even some christian ones.