Jo O'Meara

Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
Forum Member
✭✭✭
an old subject - but was just thinking.........

My kids are in a show at the moment and they singing reach for the Sky by S Club 7 - and I was struck by how fantastic Jo O'Meara's voice is..

Isn't it strange that Jade and Danielle are now forgiven and back in our papers - one of the arm of a Sultan and the other with her footballer boyfriend..

Why hasn't Jo been allowed to be rehabilitated when she was the only one of the three with any talent in the first place?

Is there one rule for the likes of Jade and Danielle and another for Jo?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danielle was forgiven because she is fit.

Jade was forgiven because she is good at PR and knows how to work the public. People also started to feel sorry for her because she is thick and didn't realise etc.

Jo has not been forgiven because she pops up every now and again to tell us how suicidal she is. She hasn't tried to move on and has left the public eye until next time she pops up to tell us how close to killing herself she is.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other two went into overdrive with apologies.
    Jo might have been the more 'honest' of the three in not showing fake remorse for something she didn't believe she'd done (even when confronted with evidence); however, she seemed to be in total denial about the impact of her behaviour towards Shilpa. She seemed almost defiant in saying that she wasn't racist. If she'd wept and wailed with remorse, maybe the public would have been more sympathetic towards her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is a question of being forgiven. The people who look back at CBB5 with anger at the way S S was treated are still perfectly capable of attributing blame realistically.

What has happened is that 99% of the population who don't care much about CBB5 judge the four protagonists on other criteria. So Danielle = pretty glamour model. Jade Goody = amusing or irritating manufactured zeleb, according to taste. Jack = weasel. Jo = ex-singer, now living quietly with her dogs. Which when you think about it is EXACTLY where they all were before, except for Danielle's hugely increased public profile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs C wrote: »
    an old subject - but was just thinking.........

My kids are in a show at the moment and they singing reach for the Sky by S Club 7 - and I was struck by how fantastic Jo O'Meara's voice is..

Isn't it strange that Jade and Danielle are now forgiven and back in our papers - one of the arm of a Sultan and the other with her footballer boyfriend..

Why hasn't Jo been allowed to be rehabilitated when she was the only one of the three with any talent in the first place?

Is there one rule for the likes of Jade and Danielle and another for Jo?

I personally do not believe it is one rule for Jade/Danielle and another for Jo. I think Jo has chosen to stay out of the limelight for her own reasons and has nothing to do with forgiveness IMO. She unfortunately lost her agent and close friend whilst she was in the house, then all the furor afterwards, I think it set her back quite a lot. Its a difficult postion to come back from especially without an agent to work for you. Hopefully next year will be a better year for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you seen the threads about Jade on here?
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I was going to start a thread on Jo tonight but you beat me to it!

I was watching Christmas songs on TMF and they where playing a lot of SClub7's songs. Jo has a great voice and is great looking. "Never Had A Dream Come True" was brilliant, she was lead vocals throughout and it's a really nice song.

Her single, "What Hurts The Most" is great, too.

I really wish she'd come back into the limelight and sing some songs as I enjoy her voice but I know there are people out there who will always remember her and critisize her because of Celebrity Big Brother.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Nice voice shame about the personality.
  • Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    Nice voice shame about the personality.

Spot on.
  • alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a question of being forgiven. The people who look back at CBB5 with anger at the way S S was treated are still perfectly capable of attributing blame realistically.

What has happened is that 99% of the population who don't care much about CBB5 judge the four protagonists on other criteria. So Danielle = pretty glamour model. Jade Goody = amusing or irritating manufactured zeleb, according to taste. Jack = weasel. Jo = ex-singer, now living quietly with her dogs. Which when you think about it is EXACTLY where they all were before, except for Danielle's hugely increased public profile.

I agree with all of this. They all basically returned to what they'd done before. Jade's "career" is less successful than it was, and Danielle has a much larger profile, but neither are doing anything that different. Also, the way they both make a living is by being fodder for tabloids and trashy magazines (and stripping off for Nuts etc in Danielle's case). So they are constantly in the public eye.

Jo O'Meara's career was singing, and yes I agree she does have a good voice, but even before CBB5 there was not much interest in her as a solo artist. As the other ex-teenybopper pop group member in that year, "Ian"/H from Steps is the closest comparison. He came out of CBB5 a lot better than Jo did, but since then he hasn't done that much either. I doubt Jo would have made any substantial comeback out of being on the show.
  • gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for gods sake, the whole celeb BB5 was over the top, they claimed racial discrimination but it wasnt. Fair enough Jade was bullying, and her behaviour was nasty, but it wasn't racial. That goes for Jo and Danielle. It was nothing to do with race. White people are allowed to not get along with black people, same as black people are allowed to not get along with white people. It's just people, no matter what the colour of their skin. Just Channel 4 were too scared of the 'racial' backlash, same as when that Emily got hoyed out of normal BB...ridiculous! Totally not needed.

This years CBB is gonna be crap. Celebs will be too scared to do anything for fear of some racist slur on them. Even at 'eeny meeny miny mo' is apparently not allowed. How stupidly over the top ridiculous is that? Hell lets call call it 'Winter Holidays' and not Christmas...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    gemchicken wrote: »
    Oh for gods sake, the whole celeb BB5 was over the top, they claimed racial discrimination but it wasnt. Fair enough Jade was bullying, and her behaviour was nasty, but it wasn't racial. That goes for Jo and Danielle. It was nothing to do with race. White people are allowed to not get along with black people, same as black people are allowed to not get along with white people. It's just people, no matter what the colour of their skin. Just Channel 4 were too scared of the 'racial' backlash, same as when that Emily got hoyed out of normal BB...ridiculous! Totally not needed.

This years CBB is gonna be crap. Celebs will be too scared to do anything for fear of some racist slur on them. Even at 'eeny meeny miny mo' is apparently not allowed. How stupidly over the top ridiculous is that? Hell lets call call it 'Winter Holidays' and not Christmas...

It WAS race related. Fair enough, of course you are allowed to not get along with people regardless of their skin colour, but they expressed their dislike for Shilpa using references to her race!
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how Jo would have made a comeback anyway. A good singer, but not a standout personality at all.

None of the ex-S Club singers have been able to sustain solo careers. Their time has come and passed.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I can't see how Jo would have made a comeback anyway. A good singer, but not a standout personality at all.

None of the ex-S Club singers have been able to sustain solo careers. Their time has come and passed.

Although Hannah Spearritt's pants will be in the next series of Primeval I've no doubt :D
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It WAS race related. Fair enough, of course you are allowed to not get along with people regardless of their skin colour, but they expressed their dislike for Shilpa using references to her race!

exactly...shilpa's race was referenced a lot..oh and the classic she can't even speak english properly. If it wasn't for those no one would have claimed it was race related...it just would have been 3 bints being nasty.

Persoanlly Jo's lack of remorse over the incident didn't do her any favours. Even if she honestly didn't think she was being racist she was still being nasty and she didn't seem to acknowledge that either (at least from what I saw of her after). I don't think any of them should be given a chance after but the media is shallow enough to forgive the skinny chick with big boobs. I don't quite rightly think jade has been forgiven either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jo has a lovely voice and I miss her singing. She was really talented.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    did jo ever lose her house?? i remember that was the main reason she went in cos she had money probs.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you exclude the race stuff, or even the bullying, Jo wasn't coming across well anyway. She seemed miserable, bitter and sitting around in her dressing gown smoking was never going to enhance her image as a pop star. She said she only went on the show to earn some money, and if she hoped to use the experience to do more music, or launch a tour, she kept it well hidden. When they played an S Club song in the house, she pulled a face and seemed to resent it.

It's a shame, because S Club have a great back catalogue that still stands up today, and as Jo was the main singer on most songs, she could have had a reasonable career, earning decent money, singing a few of them at events, and possibly building up a solo fan-base too.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gemchicken wrote: »
    This years CBB is gonna be crap. Celebs will be too scared to do anything for fear of some racist slur on them.

There isn't a CBB this year, it's Celebrity Hijack, the "celebs" don't go in the house.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Meara didn't really have a media profile prior to CBB and her performance on that as a turgid old fishwife did nothing to endear her to her public. She then regaled us (as another poster mentioned) with 'my suicide hell' stories which smelt like the Billinsgate Fish Market IMHO; including a very odd story about how she'd taken a packet of nurofen but had then been lucid enough to get her mate to drive her to A&E:rolleyes:

Goody and Lloyd are tabloid favourites - both for being dim and Lloyd for having the ubiqutous inflated norks.
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    did jo ever lose her house?? i remember that was the main reason she went in cos she had money probs.

I thought it was because her business (something to do with her dogs) was in trouble? Only very vague memories of this.

Racism or not, Jo really did herself no favours in there - she came across like a moany old Pat Butcher in a dressing gown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »

Im not sure I can remember her saying in an interview though something about her having to sell it.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote: »
    I thought it was because her business (something to do with her dogs) was in trouble? Only very vague memories of this.

Racism or not, Jo really did herself no favours in there - she came across like a moany old Pat Butcher in a dressing gown.
    O'Meara had gambling debts and the wolfs were at the door, so she went on CBB to pay them off, but it all went a bit "pete tong" unlike Rachael Stevens who despite having a few boyfriends along the way still is very much solvant
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    O'Meara didn't really have a media profile prior to CBB and her performance on that as a turgid old fishwife did nothing to endear her to her public. She then regaled us (as another poster mentioned) with 'my suicide hell' stories which smelt like the Billinsgate Fish Market IMHO; including a very odd story about how she'd taken a packet of nurofen but had then been lucid enough to get her mate to drive her to A&E:rolleyes:

Goody and Lloyd are tabloid favourites - both for being dim and Lloyd for having the ubiqutous inflated norks.

You've hit the nail on the head. The coven (all of them) have gross, or no, personalities. Ms Lloyd has only got on cos the oo-aa Daily Star love her and her false baps. She has no real looks or personality to speak of, Jade's fallen out of favour, and rightly so, she's nothing but a vile bully. As for Jo :yawn:
  • Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Also, ^^ Jo's friends with the Mushcock (Jodie Marsh), so there you go, that's what happens when you're friends with that! The Mushcock is the kiss of death!
  • the_red_devilthe_red_devil Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    i served jo when i worked in a pub once she was nice enough