Cricket: Worst England XI 1976 - 2006

2»

Comments

• jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Gladstone Small, Peter Such and Matthew Maynard got to be three bad England players

Small took 5 wickets in an Ashes test match to help England win the Ashes, so I think that should instantly disqualify him from such a list.:D

Even though he wasn't that much cop afterwards (or before!).:D
    He only got a second chance in 89/90 because of the South Africa rebel tour.

Maynard had a second chance in the 93 Ashes and rather blew it - playing a stupid hook shot at the Oval. I was never convinced by him.

Such wasn't a bad bowler - took wickets at Old Trafford (6 for 67 on debut) and Trent Bridge during the 1993 Ashes and had more of an effect than Tufnell in that series. And he took wickets at the SCG 98/99. Had a better bowling average than Croft.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gladstone Small, Peter Such and Matthew Maynard got to be three bad England players

I woiud say Peter Such would make the current Australian side.

Decent bowler.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted to even include Phil Tufnell in this list.:D

Largely because he showed such early promise with 5 wickets at Sydney in 91, that brilliant match turning spell at the Oval against West Indies in the summer of 91 (6-25), another match winning performance against NZ in the winter.

But after that early promise he was a bit of a let down. He even ended up in a psych ward on an Ashes tour.

And you'd have to go forward to 97 for the next match winning spell - a dead rubber on a spinning pitch at the Oval.
  • DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Maynard had a second chance in the 93 Ashes and rather blew it - playing a stupid hook shot at the Oval. I was never convinced by him.

Funny think about Maynard was that season he was in top form in the county game, that particular test match if memory serves me correct was at the same time Essex were playing Glamorgan with Gooch the Essex and England captain involved with the selection of the England team

I think that game Essex were chasing the title and we bowled Glamorgan out cheaply and went onto win the match :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Going back to the original requirement of having 5 caps i think these 2 sides would give each other a good (or should that be bad) game:

Team 1
    1. I.Ward
    2. T.Curtis
    3. O.Shah
    4. R.Key
    5. C.Adams
    6. C.Cowdrey
    7. S.Rhodes
    8. C.Silverwood
    9. M.Jarvis
    10. R.Dawson
    11. G.Batty

Team 2
    1. C.Smith
    2. M.Moxon
    3. W.Larkins
    4. B.Athey
    5. D.Capel
    6. M.Ealham
    7. C.Read
    8. I.Salisbury
    9. N.Cook
    10. M.Illott
    11. D.Lawrence
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that Bill Athey had such a poor test average- barely over 20. He seemed to be around quite a long time and I remembered him as a dependable opener.

I have to say though that mentions in thsi thread for Chris Broad and Monty Panesar are just daft.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Key is a bit harsh even if his 221 was against the Windies.
  • JippedJipped Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ed Smith, the former Kent 'batter' who after a good first innings (I think he got 60 odd) could only hit the ball waist high to Gulley!
  • scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Is someone going to enlighten us as to who "R Jones" is/was?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scragend wrote: »
    Is someone going to enlighten us as to who "R Jones" is/was?

I wonder if they meant Richard Johnson, an erstwhile county type who got a few games in the early 2000s.

Bit of a harsh inclusion if that's who I'm thinking of though, had a perfectly acceptable county record and cricinfo tells me took 16 wickets in his 3 tests at an average of 17-odd. 2 of his tests were against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe mind you, but you can only play your opponent!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JTH07 wrote: »
    Going back to the original requirement of having 5 caps i think these 2 sides would give each other a good (or should that be bad) game:

Team 1
    1. I.Ward
    2. T.Curtis
    3. O.Shah
    4. R.Key
    5. C.Adams
    6. C.Cowdrey
    7. S.Rhodes
    8. C.Silverwood
    9. M.Jarvis
    10. R.Dawson
    11. G.Batty

Team 2
    1. C.Smith
    2. M.Moxon
    3. W.Larkins
    4. B.Athey
    5. D.Capel
    6. M.Ealham
    7. C.Read
    8. I.Salisbury
    9. N.Cook
    10. M.Illott
    11. D.Lawrence

Rhodes was an excellent keeper who should have played many more Tests.

M.Jarvis? Must be thinking of Paul Jarvis (Yorkshire trundler of great early promise - never fulfilled).

David Lawrence was actually starting to develop into a potentially very good bowler when he had that dreadful knee injury:eek:

Richard Johnson could have been very good (90mph plus bowler - powerful bat at around 8) but couldn't stay fit.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devon Malcolm should be nowhere near this list , the 9 for against SA alone exempts him from any such list even without that he's nowhere near the team.

Monty is even further away from this team , he would walk into the Aus side right now and others.