My thoughts on the iPad mini

Comments

• tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "the 4.3 ratio is better for surfing than 16.9."

And there was me , almost thinking the OP had a Nexus 7.
    I guess if you say it often enough it becomes true.

Or is that 'needs must'?

Certainly is for me. I have both the iPad mini and the Nexus 7 and absolutely hate the N7 for surfing in comparison.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    . With the iPad you get 4:3 screen and inclusion in the Apple environment (which many of us see as a bad thing :P). With the Nexus you get a 16:9 high res screen, NFC and GPS all for a fraction of a price.

The screen on the nexus 7 isn't much bigger than some of those large phones out there now. With the large menu bar at the top and the virtual buttons at the bottom its nearer a 6 inch tablet. I spent a good while today playing with the tablets in my local Tesco - the screen on the Mini is gigantic compared to the Nexus. And why is the Apple environment bad, but the Android / Windows is not? Silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "the 4.3 ratio is better for surfing than 16.9."

And there was me , almost thinking the OP had a Nexus 7.
    I guess if you say it often enough it becomes true.

Or is that 'needs must'?

I was wondering when you were going to show up. :rolleyes:
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    The screen on the nexus 7 isn't much bigger than some of those large phones out there now. With the large menu bar at the top and the virtual buttons at the bottom its nearer a 6 inch tablet. I spent a good while today playing with the tablets in my local Tesco - the screen on the Mini is gigantic compared to the Nexus. And why is the Apple environment bad, but the Android / Windows is not? Silly.

The Apple environment is very different from the Android environment. Silly.

(I cant speak for the Windows 8 environment)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So basically you don't know what you're talking about.
    Forum Member
    So basically you don't know what you're talking about.

yawn :yawn:

Are you REALLY saying that the Apple environment isnt more controlled or locked down than the Android environment ?

Really ? :eek:
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Apple environment is very different from the Android environment. Silly.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by environment. Could you explain? The reason I ask is that I don't think I'm lock into anything with my iPad mini, why do you think I'm locked into?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering when you were going to show up. :rolleyes:
    No show from you I see.

4:3 would certainly be better for the web if the resolution was not 30% below the par.
    Claiming the more standard 16:10 Nexus is really 16:9 just adds to that exaggeration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No show from you I see.

4:3 would certainly be better for the web if the resolution was not 30% below the par.
    Claiming the more standard 16:10 Nexus is really 16:9 just adds to that exaggeration.

That would be a really good point if the 30% made the device unusable, but as it doesn't I don't really know what point you are trying to make. Are you claiming that web pages cannot be read clearly? If so, I'm afraid you are wrong.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by environment. Could you explain? The reason I ask is that I don't think I'm lock into anything with my iPad mini, why do you think I'm locked into?

Again ? Are you really saying that the Apple environment isnt more locked down than Android ?

Try buying an app from a store that isnt itunes .......
    Try changing the default mapping app to Google maps....

The Apple ecosytem is more controlled and insular than Android.

Whether thats a bad thing or not is a matter of perspective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again ? Are you really saying that the Apple environment isnt more locked down than Android ?

Try changing the default mapping app to Google maps....

The Apple ecosytem is more controlled and insular than Android.

Whether thats a bad thing or not is a matter of perspective.

No, I was asking what you meant. The thread was talking about porting music which is why I couldn't understand what was being implied.

You are now talking about changing the default apps which I agree you cannot do. I'm not sure it is a deal breaker (it obvisously wasn't when I got the iPad) but I can understand why it is important to android (and especially samsung) users.

I'm not sure the App Store example is so good as all the apps are available, you don't need more than one store.
    Forum Member
    No, I was asking what you meant. The thread was talking about porting music which is why I couldn't understand what was being implied.

You are now talking about changing the default apps which I agree you cannot do. I'm not sure it is a deal breaker (it obvisously wasn't when I got the iPad) but I can understand why it is important to android (and especially samsung) users.

I'm not sure the App Store example is so good as all the apps are available, you don't need more than one store.

erm. no. the thread was about thoughts on the iPad mini that then, as usual, became an Apple/Android argument.

Did I say it was a deal-breaker ? I really dont think I did.
    The ability to change default apps is a luxury on Android but maybe more important on Apple with their fun maps app ;)
    And as for the 'only need one store' ... silly. maybe some people want choice. you dont ? fine.

Anyway feel free to continue that aspect of the thread kidspud. I think we already know you and I have different opinions on many things so i will refrain from biting ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    erm. no. the thread was about thoughts on the iPad mini that then, as usual, became an Apple/Android argument.

Did I say it was a deal-breaker ? I really dont think I did.
    The ability to change default apps is a luxury on Android but maybe more important on Apple with their fun maps app ;)
    And as for the 'only need one store' ... silly. maybe some people want choice. you dont ? fine.

Anyway feel free to continue that aspect of the thread kidspud. I think we already know you and I have different opinions on many things so i will refrain from biting ;)

Ok, I'm not asking you to bite:confused:

I use both android and iOS (I assume you don't?) I do not feel tied into or down by either of the environments.

The only app I've ever had to change was the messaging app on the phone and even then I couldn't actually change it to the default, it just sits running along side the stock app, although I believe this has changed in JB.

I am truly interested by what multiple stores give you (I've only used the play store). Are there apps which are exclusive to a single store? If so, that sounds the very opposite of choice:confused:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a really good point if the 30% made the device unusable ...........so, I'm afraid you are wrong.
    Bic razors are classed as usable too though a good few might see red.

I must say you that, yet again, you make a rather strange counter argument.
    I can't quite see why does the iPad needs to be unusable to compare.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so which one is the best?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    so which one is the best?

You need to decide yourself, but you will see on here, those that actually own the iPad mini are usually really happy with it and some of them even have the nexus 7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I may buy a Tablet Computer in future (such as the iPad), one of the reasons being that I may start to develop Applications, one of the factors which would prevent me from considering a Mini-Me version of a Tablet (such as the Mini- iPad) is that their functionality is already deployed within a more general, Smart Phone - such as the iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well considering this is the kind of stuff Google are selling on their Play store LINK I hate to think of the stuff you can just download from anywhere. Yes, a great idea.
    Forum Member
    Well considering this is the kind of stuff Google are selling on their Play store LINK I hate to think of the stuff you can just download from anywhere. Yes, a great idea.

Whilst Microsoft Windows and Android are the most popular areas for Malware as they are by far the most widely used operating systems I dont think you will find anyone is immune:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

Just like on your PC, Mac, iPhone etc caution should be taken when installing any app.

The Amazon app store (i believe) claims to be running more security controls on its apps if you choose to use a diferent store ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to decide yourself, but you will see on here, those that actually own the iPad mini are usually really happy with it and some of them even have the nexus 7.

Hmmm this is true

Mini is £200 more i think since the 32GB version is £445 and the 32GB Nexus is £230.

It makes sense to go for the ipad mini since i have all my music on iTunes etc....but it is very expensive.

Difficult decision this is.
    Forum Member

Three quarters of a million is not choice ???

IMO multiple app stores just increases complexity for no real benefit of choice. As an example, I recently needed to install a CCTV app on a tablet that has a version of Android that doesn't support the Play Store, so as a relative newbie to Android I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to side load it (including finding a hidden file and emailing it to myself).
    I currently have a number of projects on the go where it would be very nice from a cost point of view to replace iPads with Android tablets, however it is proving quite impractical. Either the apps I need only exist for IOS or when they do exist for Android they lack some of the features and/or are flakey. So much for choice. As a techie I like Android (in the same way I like the Terminal on MAC OS X, as I was brought up on Unix) but for getting the job done in the quickest most pain-free manner nothing beats IOS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst Microsoft Windows and Android are the most popular areas for Malware as they are by far the most widely used operating systems I dont think you will find anyone is immune:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

Just like on your PC, Mac, iPhone etc caution should be taken when installing any app.

The Amazon app store (i believe) claims to be running more security controls on its apps if you choose to use a diferent store ;)
    which device do you have?
    Forum Member
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    Hmmm this is true

Mini is £200 more i think since the 32GB version is £445 and the 32GB Nexus is £230.

It makes sense to go for the ipad mini since i have all my music on iTunes etc....but it is very expensive.

Difficult decision this is.

I am one of those people Kidspud referred to as having both. Undoubtedly the Nexus 7 is better value for money but for me there is no comparison between the two devices. I bought the N7 while waiting for the cellular iPad mini to arrive. Since then I have barely used the N7 because I find the mini infinitely nicer to use. But if budget is a consideration then the N7 is terrific value for money.
    Forum Member

You are right, nobody's immune, but you've got to agree that the chance of malware is higher with an open system. There are pluses and minuses to a closed system such as Apple's, this is one of the pluses.
    However, it is possible to have the best of both worlds e.g. the Mac App Store gives reassurance in this area, but if you really want to go into the wild west you can install an unsigned app. I have to say it would be nice if Apple would give this same choice on IOS, I am grown up enough to make my own decision thank you :D
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And some of us got rid of our nexus 7's after getting the iPad mini. ;)