LABI SIFFRE - Remember Him?

gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Labi wrote that delightful song "It Must Be Love" a song later played by the pop group Madness.

Some songwriters don't get enough recognition for a truly delightful song.

Labo is still around and I hope many people thank him for this lovely cheerful song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7NV5StCLu4

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    That brings back memories. Glad to hear he's still around.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember him! Jeez didn't realise I was that old :D
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Fab. I loved his song "Something Inside so Strong"
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan for donkey's years. Among many fantastic songs he's written is this little gem; a simple, perfect love song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FirBvR1HmKI&list=RD02-7NV5StCLu4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantelpit wrote: »

http://youtu.be/7B-4Lsrx8IA :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I follow him on twitter but he doesn't tweet very often. Very keen on gay rights. Shame Madness rarely give him the credit he deseves for It Must Be Love. Make My Day is one of my favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tm6SDndaqI
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heard that on The One Show yesterday, at the end of a report about a young woman with Cerebral Palsy. It's a beautiful song.
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy, yes I've always remembered and adored that touching song, Bless the Telephone.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame Madness rarely give him the credit he deseves for It Must Be Love.

Doesn't he have a cameo in the Madness video?
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Something Inside so Strong as well as I Got The.. which Eminem sampled for his breakthrough hit 'Hi! My Name Is' from the 2.10 point onwards part of the song.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shouldnt this thread be in the music forum?

liked him btw...
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Something Inside so Strong as well as I Got The.. which Eminem sampled for his breakthrough hit 'Hi! My Name Is' from the 2.10 point onwards part of the song.

Which was apparently played by either Chas or Dave from Chas'n'Dave :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the original " It must be love " in my record collection always thought it was miles better than the Madness version ,its a shame radio stations overlook it and don't play it a great song!
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member

That came out when I was either 9 or 10. I loved it then and I still love it now.
    dodrade wrote: »
    Doesn't he have a cameo in the Madness video?
    Yes.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard that (Something Inside So Strong) on The One Show yesterday, at the end of a report about a young woman with Cerebral Palsy. It's a beautiful song.

Someone didn't listen to the words too closely, then: it's a searing anti-apartheid anthem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Someone didn't listen to the words too closely, then: it's a searing anti-apartheid anthem.

Yes I know that. They played the opening bars but in my opinion it was appropriate. The girl was a prisoner to her condition and was battling to be heard and be free. I love the song even more than when it first came out.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    it's a searing anti-apartheid anthem.

Definitely. I remember hearing it on a car ad (Vauxhall, I think?) and being furious that it had been reduced to ad music for some crappy car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone didn't listen to the words too cfor losely, then: it's a searing anti-apartheid anthem.

No need for sarcasm, I'm old enough to remember when and why the song was released. Just because it's a protest song doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    No need for sarcasm, I'm old enough to remember when and why the song was released. Just because it's a protest song doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

I saw him in concert back in the '70's alongside the Supremes after Diana Ross had left the group.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Definitely. I remember hearing it on a car ad (Vauxhall, I think?) and being furious that it had been reduced to ad music for some crappy car.

I think Comic Relief used to use it a lot too.