Neighbour enticing my cat away...again!

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
Two years ago approx an old woman who lives a few doors down started to encourage one of my cats to her house. We had a big fight over it but it was too late and the cat had already made it's mind up where it was better off. In the end I had no option but to let her go as I'd clearly lost her to this vile witch of a woman and every time I brought her back she would keep going back to thus woman's house which would feed her all sorts of unhealthy crap. I was so angry and sad but she just decided that was where she wanted to be. Hardly surprising when the woman was buying her rich treats and giving her cooked chicken on the bone and lumps of steak.

A few weeks ago my other remaining cat went missing for 2 days and I eventually found her after much searching up by our local park. It so not like her to wander off. The next thing this woman walks past and tells me how the cat she lured away from me 2 years ago, she's just had put down because she basically couldn't afford to look after her and she needed an operation on her stomach after the crap shed been giving her. Hmmmm strange coincidence that one cat gets put down and now my other one is going missing. I was SO furious! Not just with her but with the irresponsible vet who allowed her to do this to a treatable animal.

Anyway last week I noticed my one remaining cat sitting up by her house. Weird because she never wanders off away from our house. A few days later it seems this horrible old woman is back up to her old tricks again. I was walking back towards my house when I clearly saw her shouting "come on then. come on!" to my cat just like she did with my last one. I walked up to confront her but the minute she saw me she said to my cat, "get away don't follow me". This is exactly what she did with my last one pretending she's not enticing her back when that's precisely what she's doing.

I went absolutely ballistic with her and threatened that this time I'd get the police involved. I said, "You've had the nerve to entice away one of my cats which you've since had destroyed and now you want my other one!" I've rang the RSPCA and they don't want to know and said the only thing I can do is if she takes the cat into her house is call the police as it's theft but quite honestly I can't see them getting involved let alone being able to do much.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can approach this?

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I'd contact my local Community Support Officer and ask for advice and support. Is your cat chipped? If not get him/her done, then if she tries to take him/her to the vet the chip should show up, especially if you tell the local vets that you have a problem with this woman taking your cats.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If not already, have your cat micro-chipped for identification purposes. Then, I would have a chat with your local PCSOs and ask them to have a quiet word with the woman, so that she knows that you are aware of what she is attempting, and that the authorities have also been made aware. That may have the desired effect.

eta: like what frisky said ;-)
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she's chipped but this woman is being devious. She keeps trying to make out that my cat is bothering her and says things like, 'Your cat keeps following me." I said, "Yes of course she is because you keep enticing her up the road with tasty treats!" Obviously she then denies this even though I've seen it happen with my own eyes. I've thought about trying to film her but whenever I get close enough she switches to pretending to shoo away my cat like it's bothering her when a few seconds later she was seen trying to entice it. This is exactly what she did with my last one and I don't want it to happen again.

I've fed her today and she's been in but now she's nowhere to be seen. I can't go round someones house snooping but I'm positive she's round there now. I'm SO fuming with anger that anyone could do such a thing. Trouble is everyone round here bar my next door neighbour who is on my side thinks she's a sweet old lady so I'm in danger of being made out to be the bad guy in all of this.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drop her down a grid.

ETA. The old woman. Not your cat.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your cats are at risk, then keep them in or contained.

They don't legally belong to anyone really, so there isn't much you can do about it otherwise.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god, how horrible. I'm sorry I've no real advice, but as a fellow cat owner I couldn't read and run. You have every right to be as livid as you are, if anyone tried to steal my two babies I would be exactly the same. The cat is a part of your family, she has just as much right to take your cat as she would to take a child of yours - i.e. none at all! And the fact she had your cat, YOUR cat put down is just disgusting. I am so angry for you!

I hope you can resolve this situation, and hopefully your kitty will see beyond the tasty treats and come back to its real home. *sending virtual hugs*
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

They don't legally belong to anyone really, so there isn't much you can do about it otherwise.

They do legally belong to people.

Are you confusing ownership with responsibility for their actions? Owners are not responsible for the actions of their cats in the same way dog owners are, but they are 'owners' none the less - responsible for the cat's welfare and able to be prosecuted if they fail to care for the cat. They can also report the cat as stolen same as with a dog.

The only exception to the responsible rule would be if the owner knew a cat to be particularly vicious and failed to take steps to protect visitors to the house then they would be liable under civil (though not criminal) law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Um, yes they do? If you purchase a cat (or get given one or whatever), feed it, and microchip it, insure it etc - why does it not belong to you? Of course the cat belongs to the OP, and the woman in question is doing something very wrong.

Here's a link from the daily Telegraph explaining felines and the law: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9968640/How-the-law-views-cats.html
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid you would need a court order to stop her feeding the cat and taking it into her house.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Get a dog for a change. Dogs are more loyal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have considered making her a house cat but it seems highly unfair having to keep her couped up in a small 2 bedroomed bungalow all day with no fresh air when she's always been used to going outside and no doubt it may make her feel trapped. I will give it consideration though.

If I remember right I think I tried to do that with my last one and the minute I went out she would run out and then I'd struggle to get her back because she knew once she was in shed never get out again. That's the trouble when cats have been used to being outside.

Oh, and you're wrong. She's chipped and registered to me therefore my property. As far as I'm concerned it's theft even if she didn't actually pick her up and take her back to her house it's still akin to kidnapping. What if this was a child she was doing this to?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand one cat wanting to be in two homes but both of them? This is normally something they do when very young not as older cats.

Most of my cats have been very friendly but I'm sure no one shouting "come on then" would have had a chance of getting them into their home.

They must prefer it there, or they would not go and would never stay for good.
    My sister shared her cat for years with another lady up the road. neither of them knew it though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Oh, and you're wrong. She's chipped and registered to me therefore my property. As far as I'm concerned it's theft even if she didn't actually pick her up and take her back to her house it's still akin to kidnapping. What if this was a child she was doing this to?
    This is correct. In the eyes of the law, a cat is the property of its owner, and if someone else tries to take the cat, it is theft. So my other advice to you would be, the second you see your cat go into her house, get the police on the case! Hopefully it'll scare her off.
    My sister shared her cat for years with another lady up the road. neither of them knew it though :D
    They may not 'prefer' it there, as such, it's just it sounds like this woman is enticing them with really rich food. If you had the choice between a fish finger and a nice steak of tuna, which would you go for? (Not implying that the OP doesn't feed her cat good stuff or anything!) - Cats are opportunists, and will follow their belly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand one cat wanting to be in two homes but both of them? This is normally something they do when very young not as older cats.

Most of my cats have been very friendly but I'm sure no one shouting "come on then" would have had a chance of getting them into their home.

What's more unusual is firstly my youngest cat and now this one. The eldest one never went there prior to her having my other one put down then just weeks later it's all happening again. Coincidence? I don't think so. Surely if my cat was bothering her then why start now? It's because she's obviously been enticed back there and possibly held in against her will until she just accepted that's where she lived. I don't honestly know tbh but I've seen her with my own eyes following her up the road like the bleeding Pied Piper. Cats aren't loyal but it doesn't help when people like her keep enticing them with unhealthy treats.

It's like someone trying to lure a child away with sweets and ice cream. If this was a child it would be called kidnapping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is correct. In the eyes of the law, a cat is the property of its owner, and if someone else tries to take the cat, it is theft. So my other advice to you would be, the second you see your cat go into her house, get the police on the case! Hopefully it'll scare her off.

They may not 'prefer' it there, as such, it's just it sounds like this woman is enticing them with really rich food. If you had the choice between a fish finger and a nice steak of tuna, which would you go for? (Not implying that the OP doesn't feed her cat good stuff or anything!) - Cats are opportunists, and will follow their belly.

Yes and also cats don't tend to hang about someones back door (and continue to keep going back) if there's nothing there for them. The reason she will be going there is because she knows she's gonna get an all you can eat buffet.

For this reason people should never attempt to feed other people's cats. They are someone else's responsibility and for all anyone else knows they may have to be on a strict diet and certain foods may end up killing them. Some people are such idiots.

It starts off with her enticing her back. Next week she's in the kitchen. Week later she's in her lounge having a stroke on the sofa and next she's on the bed and not coming home at night and before you know it she no longer feels like this is her home anymore and I may as well say goodbye to her for good. For having my other cat put down all because she had a tummy problem is absolutely disgusting. I'm disgusted with her and more so the vet that allowed her to make that decision. She should never be allowed to keep cats let alone ones that don't belong to her.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

For this reason people should never attempt to feed other people's cats. They are someone else's responsibility and for all anyone else knows they may have to be on a strict diet and certain foods may end up killing them. Some people are such idiots.

I agree and think it should be against the law to feed other peoples pets. It happened to one of my cats over the summer and she ended up being put down due to the neighbours as well. Yes she was microchipped but it's a long story which I won't go into.

I would tell the old b... lady that your cat is on medication which needs to be taken with food and whilst the cat is with her and being fed by her the cat won't get it's medication. Tell her the medication is vital or the cat will die.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't disregard talking to the police, call them on 101 and - from personal experience below - they might be willing to have a word with the lady, especially if you are concerned about your cat's health. You might need to accept that you have to keep the cat in for a while though to break the habit of going elsewhere for food.

A couple of years ago we had very odd run in with a neighbour. One of our cats went (completely out of character) missing for a couple of days, and one morning another neighbour knocked on our door and said they knew where our cat was. They had seen him in the window of the house next door to them, and had actually taken a picture just so we could check it was him.

It was definitely our cat. We knocked on the door of the house, who was absolutely 100% sure there was no cat in his house. At this point I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as the cat might have found a warm place to sleep or hide or simply might have found a way out.

The following day the neighbour again reported she had seen him in the window, and again the guy denied all knowledge. At this point I was getting skeptical, as there was no way that, if our cat which had been trapped in a house for 2-3 days, he would not have been making noise. So we called the police, who, to their credit, came out in about 30 minutes. When they came round the guy was out, but the cat appeared on the window sill and we managed to open a small window and get him out. The police later spoke to him and he was still insistent he had no idea the cat was in the house. We didn't (and couldn't) take it further but to this day I don't believe he didn't know the cat was there and was trying to steal him. The other thing to note is that, although our cats are moggies through and through, they look like young purebred Bengals and so some people do assume they are expensive pedigree cats which might give someone motive to nick them.

We've moved since then, thankfully, but it was a weird one.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one thing to do is keep your cat indoors and don't let it out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easier said than done keeping a cat who is used to going outside, inside. When I moved house with my tom, he was climbing the walls. Despite our best efforts to keep him inside, it took him just three days to find an escape route (we were trying to keep him in longer to acquaint him with the area/smells and whatnot) - he came back, thankfully, and can now once again go in and out as he pleases.

Plus the cat may see it as punishment, especially if they are so used to coming and going as they please. So I would only really advise the OP go down this route if there is absolutely nothing else that can be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My next door neighbour who loves cats was fuming when she heard that my old littleun had been put to sleep. Apparently she had something lodged in her stomach possibly a chicken bone and never went to the vets for weeks. Possibly because she knew she'd caused it by feeding her crap as usual. Apparently she'd been off her food for a while. She's been telling people that it was gonna cost £900 for an xray and to have her opened up so the old woman refused and insisted the animal was put down.

How can ANY vet allow someone to make that decision on a treatable animal? I wish I knew which vets had agreed this as I would go down and give them hell about it. I was absolutely livid when I found out and our neighbour (who isn't speaking to her anymore) even asked her why she hadn't considered the PDSA or even brought her back to me so I could have seen to her myself.

And now not content with destroying one animal's life she wants to start again on my other one.

Also just to add. My remaining cat has been acting strange for the last couple of weeks. She's been a bit off her food which could be due to being fed elsewhere but she's also taken to lying on the front lawn which is really odd because she always likes to sleep in the house either in the washing basket or on the sofa or on her bed etc but she hasn't done this for a while now. I may take her to the vets to have her checked over as I have no idea what this wicked old woman has been giving her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easier said than done keeping a cat who is used to going outside, inside. When I moved house with my tom, he was climbing the walls. Despite our best efforts to keep him inside, it took him just three days to find an escape route (we were trying to keep him in longer to acquaint him with the area/smells and whatnot) - he came back, thankfully, and can now once again go in and out as he pleases.

Plus the cat may see it as punishment, especially if they are so used to coming and going as they please. So I would only really advise the OP go down this route if there is absolutely nothing else that can be done.

This is precisely what happened last time with my other cat when this woman was enticing her away. I decided to lock her in but she went wild and felt trapped and was clawing the walls and doors to get out. The second I opened the door to go out she was straight between my legs and you wouldn't see her for days. It made matters worse because she felt imprisoned like I was punishing her so no wonder she didn't want to come back.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing to do is keep your cat indoors and don't let it out

I'd agree with this. We're on the other side of your problem - a neighbour's cat has decided he wants to live with us, we were unable to open the patio doors over the summer because he'd make himself at home if we did (OH and Mini Deb are both allergic, so we really don't want him in the house!) Repeated soakings wouldn't make him go away. He even sat miaowing at our door during a thunderstorm!
    We haven't seen him now for a couple of weeks, so either she's keeping him indoors (at last) or he's died.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I got a funny sense of deja vu reading this thread title.

As Oscar Wilde might have said "To lose one cat may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two (or more?) looks like carelessness"

This would appear to be the third cat that has bailed on you in 5 years. You write in the OP that 2 years ago that the same woman enticed another moggy from your home.

In this thread you started 5 years ago in 2009 yet another cat upped sticks and moved down the road.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1170155

Was this to live with the woman you complain of today or a different neighbour?

Either way a pattern seems to be forming which makes me waiver towards sympathy for the cat(s).

P.S. Do you call ALL your cats Tilly?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience of owning cats in the past was that they were always very loyal to me. They'd wander off into the neighbours where they'd be fed now and again but would always come home. Maybe I was just lucky.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Why doesn't she just get her own cat? it isn't like rescue centres are empty.
This discussion has been closed.