Options

Sarah Jessica Parker - someone please explain to me...

Comments

• Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    This may be slightly OT, but why is it only ever women that are said to look like horses? You never hear a man being described as horsey-faced in the same way as SJP, or even Camilla, is oft referred to being...

We don't see men being judged for their looks generally though. Such is our world, where women are reduced to how aesthetic they are and not for the myriad other qualities we may have.

No one who signs up for acting, should have to sign up for this too.

SJP is a good actress and a style icon. But she never professed to be a 'model', so let's just leave her alone. Personally, I find her unusually beautiful. If she worked in my office looking like that, she'd turn heads.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her style is a little overrated, but at least she is a step apart from the general identikit, picture-perfect Hollywood types.

She's not a 'model', but has her own look and tries to make the best of what she's got.

Calling her 'horseface' is just old now.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't see men being judged for their looks generally though. Such is our world, where women are reduced to how aesthetic they are and not for the myriad other qualities we may have.

No one who signs up for acting, should have to sign up for this too.

SJP is a good actress and a style icon. But she never professed to be a 'model', so let's just leave her alone. Personally, I find her unusually beautiful. If she worked in my office looking like that, she'd turn heads.

Totally agree. And I agree with Sloopy's post too.

I don't think SJP is "horsey looking" at all. I think she's a good looking woman. What do you want? Her to go under the knife so she can look like every other blonde clone Hollywood actress? She is who she is, she's proud of it, she looks good and she seems like a thoroughly decent woman. It's a sad day when the nicer people get attacked for the way they look.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    She's in her 40's - and looks good for it - I don't think she's bad looking - I hope I look that good when I'm her age

First time I saw her was in "LA Story". That's 20 odd years ago. I found her very unattractive then and haven't changed my mind now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I think it's great that ugly people can get rich and famous too. Maybe one day I'll be able to break out of my job scaring rats as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beauty is a very individual taste thing, look at jennifer aniston, she hasnt got conventionally beautiful features but shes stunning, sjp has a quirky sort of beauty, they say it comes from within and to an extent thats true, some conventionally beautiful women come across as very ugly because they dont radiate beauty from within, if that makes sense?:confused:
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Very nasty things to say.

She's very stylish. I like what she wears. I haven't seen her in anything but SATC so can't comment on that, but I don't get the dislike for her, or why people call her ugly. I think it's really quite awful, and personal to say such things. SJP hasn't done anything to deserve that, I wouldn't think.

Agree. I love her style and I love what she brought to SATC. She's not the best film actress out there but she's far from the worst. I'll take SJP any day of the week over the yawn-making generic bland botoxed surgically enhanced plastic clones that clog up so much of hollywood.

Would love to see some pics of the OP. Go on, give us a treat then!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karen2401 wrote: »
    beauty is a very individual taste thing, look at jennifer aniston, she hasnt got conventionally beautiful features but shes stunning, sjp has a quirky sort of beauty, they say it comes from within and to an extent thats true, some conventionally beautiful women come across as very ugly because they dont radiate beauty from within, if that makes sense?:confused:

Yes; if somebody is happy and confident in their own skin then that is reflected on the surface. We see so many perma-tanned blonde, plastic csurgery addicts who can barely even manage a smile because they are botoxed up to the eyeballs, or are depressed and miserable because they are unable to achieve the look they want.

Just because SJP isn't considered to be beautiful by the socially 'acceptable' standards of a shallow society does not mean it's OK to write her off as 'ugly' or the now very tiresome playground insult 'horseface'.
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's certainly not conventionally pretty but she does radiate something. She has an attractiveness, to me, that comes from confidence and being happy with herself, good grooming, and making the best of her features. I always found her the most interesting and eyecatching of the four women in SATC, yet most would agree that out of the four of them she's clearly the least 'pretty'.
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Yes; if somebody is happy and confident in their own skin then that is reflected on the surface. We see so many perma-tanned blonde, plastic csurgery addicts who can barely even manage a smile because they are botoxed up to the eyeballs, or are depressed and miserable because they are unable to achieve the look they want.

Just because SJP isn't considered to be beautiful by the socially 'acceptable' standards of a shallow society does not mean it's OK to write her off as 'ugly' or the now very tiresome playground insult 'horseface'.

Very well said Sloopy! :)
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like SJP, sure she isn't the most conventially beautiful woman in the world, and I can definitely see why she is widely regarded as ugly. But personally I see a quirky sort of beauty in her, and I think she makes the most of what she's got. I love her natural curls in her hair (so much better than when she has it straightened) and the outfits she wore in Sex and the City, I think she carries them off due to her lovely petite figure.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    She's certainly not conventionally pretty but she does radiate something. She has an attractiveness, to me, that comes from confidence and being happy with herself, good grooming, and making the best of her features. I always found her the most interesting and eyecatching of the four women in SATC, yet most would agree that out of the four of them she's clearly the least 'pretty'.

Ditto!
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She isn't stylish at all. She is well dressed by a stylist. When you see her photographed on the street with her family she's rather drab.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »

Apart from Charlotte, none of them really fit 'pretty'. SJL is not pretty but she's definitely attractive and although I don't always like what she wears, I like that she doesn't care or try to blend in. That's 'style'.
  • Options
    TIvsTIPTIvsTIP Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    But she is attractive. She may not be pretty but she is always well groomed and well presented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ValLambert wrote: »
    She isn't stylish at all. She is well dressed by a stylist. When you see her photographed on the street with her family she's rather drab.

So what? She's on the street with her family, not on a movie set.

If she walked round in Carrie Bradshaw mode when she was taking her lad to school, I expect you'd still moan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It means that she is not a style icon, she is an image made by others. In herself she is ordinary.

As are 100% of other movie stars.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was gorgeous back in the 80's. Watch Flight Of The Navigator and see for yourself, however she hasn't aged very well unlike Kim Cattrall who is as hot now as she was back in the 80's. :D
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As are 100% of other movie stars.

But they aren't held up as style icons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But they aren't held up as style icons.

Oh, I don't know.

Read any style mag and I think you'll find at least half a dozen are held up to be just that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    She was gorgeous back in the 80's. Watch Flight Of The Navigator and see for yourself, however she hasn't aged very well unlike Kim Cattrall who is as hot now as she was back in the 80's. :D

I think SJP's slightly scrawny look is down to the fact that a few years back the media reported her as being anorexic. Never confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

On the other hand Kim, although slim, has never been over thin. You're right though, at 53, she's definitely still hot. ;)
  • Options
    Sue Ellen EwingSue Ellen Ewing Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Very nasty things to say.

She's very stylish. I like what she wears. I haven't seen her in anything but SATC so can't comment on that, but I don't get the dislike for her, or why people call her ugly. I think it's really quite awful, and personal to say such things. SJP hasn't done anything to deserve that, I wouldn't think.

Are you serious?? she looks like a foot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you serious?? she looks like a foot.

Heard that tired old chestnut before too. :yawn: :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJP is not beautiful, but at times I think she can look very pretty, and she is a very stylish woman. Also, I remember watching an interview with her on Jonathan Ross a few years ago, and thought she came across as a very friendly, likeable woman. I admire the fact that she's one actress over 40 who hasn't gone down the typical plastic surgeon route a la Demi Moore, who IMO looks far worse for it.
  • Options
    Sue Ellen EwingSue Ellen Ewing Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard that tired old chestnut before too. :yawn: :sleep:

sorry yes Perter Griffin:D shall I do one of my own, she looks like a warty aligator:D