Confirmed Airdates
    Once Upon a Time [Season 2]: Sun 7th April 9pm Ch 5
    Battle Scarred: Soldiers Behind Bars: Mon 8th April 10pm Ch 5
    Trauma Doctors [Series 1]: Thu 11th April 9pm Ch 5
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    Perhaps the last couple of pages should have a 'cut and paste' into the soap forum...

The decline of East Enders ratings over the past couple of years has to be a major ratings issue as it is a key BBC programme.

We have watched ALL the current soaps from episode 1 (so over 50 years in Corrie's case) and might be in a unique position to comment on here.

I agree with most of what has been said. It is usually characterised as Corrie = oldies, EE = youth - but it is not that simple. I was at primary school when I first watched Corrie and living with my first boyfriend when EE started and an 'oldie' now. What keeps you watching soaps is if they have familiar characters that you can relate to and who do light and shade as in real life. The writing also matters. Not just plots (after decades all soaps are in recycle mode) but the actual scripts that put great words into the mouths of 'people' you have lived your life with and who speak as you know they would speak. And you put characters you care about in situations that put them in jeopardy and make you scream at the TV because you can think of them as real and you want to see the right outcome.

Corrie wins hands down on virtually all of the above. EE has - at times - achieved some of them, but for ages now just seems to be treading water with scripts that are like real life in being routine, monotone and put characters we barely care about in no credible dilemmas.

Frankly, even Hollyoaks (EE's 'youth' rival) has been vastly superior in the past year because it has followed the correct model. It has established characters that have been there years or have been brought back amidst the new ones who are well rounded and have a mix of light and shade. It even does EEs trademark (violence) better.

How to 'fix' EE? Maybe bring Nigel back (he was a good lighter style character) and the actor is skilled and has been playing a doctor in Holby City for years but would re-establish in EE some of the old spark.

You need characters that the viewers can invest time in and then create plots that get the audience to root for them when the fates conspire. Alfie and Kat have that quality but have been ridiculously kept apart and allowed to drift into nowhere through terrible writing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/03/26/tv-ratings-monday-the-voice-up-from-last-falls-premiere-revolution-dips-2-broke-girls-mike-and-molly-up/174992/comment-page-2/#comments

strong return for the voice managing a 4.7 in the demo, up from the fall premiere and just down 2 tenths from the finale, of course I'm sure it will be adjusted up. The reaction to the new coaches also seems to be extremely positive, so its definately in with a chance of beating idol this year in the averages

revolution off the back of it returned well at 2.7 for NBC who won the night, of course those numbers arent great but theyre good for NBC and it probably remains the best rating of the new scripted dramas apart from maybe the following, but of course the following doesnt have a lead in from the voice

dancing with the stars down 9 tenths to a 2.3, the voice really does hurt it, but ABC won't complain too much. And of course its total viewers remains impressive

tonight should be interesting to see how smash fairs in its second week, and determine how much go on and the new normal can recover now the voice is back. Will NBC win both mondays and tuesdays again, or will NCIS prove too strong
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Emmerdale: 7.19m (32.0%)
    Corrie: 9.77m (40.1%)
    EastEnders: 7.73m (30.8%)
    Corrie: 10.12m (39.3%)
    Broadchurch: 6.88m (28.1%)

Boris on BBC2 had 2.39m (9.8%)

Despite the posts written about Eastenders today, isn't that 7.73m rating in the current TV landscape still pretty decent? You may not think it warrants even that rating, but the fact is, it got that rating.

For EE to be in objective, rather than subjective crisis, it would have to be getting at least half that number, would it not? I am an Eastenders fan but this isn't me defending it in its final hour. I simply don't see why that rating has caused all the commotion? :confused: I think people are focusing too much on the dizzy heights it has fallen from, rather than what it is doing in 2013 which I think is OK.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add Catchphrase is followed at 7.30pm on Sunday 7th April by the launch of Off Their Rockers - thought that might end up as fodder against The Voice so be interesting to see how it does. Security Men launches on the Friday at 9pm.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I know yesterday's episode of The Chase was a repeat, but how well did it rate?

Great consolidation for Broadchurch there.

3.06m I think I spotted this morning when I had access
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Confirmed Airdates

Interesting that OUAT is taking a 9pm slot this year rather than 8pm, I wonder if it'll move back to 8pm when PoI finishes its run?
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Despite the posts written about Eastenders today, isn't that 7.73m rating in the current TV landscape still pretty decent? You may not think it warrants even that rating, but the fact is, it got that rating.

For EE to be in objective, rather than subjective crisis, it would have to be getting at least half that number, would it not? I am an Eastenders fan but this isn't me defending it in its final hour. I simply don't see why that rating has caused all the commotion? :confused: I think people are focusing too much on the dizzy heights it has fallen from, rather than what it is doing in 2013 which I think is OK.
    Every show has it's standards, simply saying it's good in the TV landscape just doesn't really cut it. EE had 10m at Christmas so it's obviously still got the potential to get up near to those heights and be competitive with Corrie. The fact is EE has been getting poor ratings and been of poor quality for too long now.
  • Daily LivingDaily Living Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirmed Airdates

I'm not sure about the OUAT 9 o'clock slot. I'd much prefer it in the 8pm slot, as it seems to have more appeal there. But, then again, I might be wrong! And, it could act as a surprisngly good combo with flailing Person Of Interest's last few episodes of Season One (I hope so anyway).

Where did Bomb Patrol go? It aired like two episodes and then went off air. Really don't think 10pm is a good slot for a new programme, Channel 5 should stick Battle Scarred on at 9pm on Monday in my opinion, with Police Interceptors to lead in at 8pm.

Trauma Doctors looks and sounds interesting, I'll be watching that. That 9pm slot looks just right.

Just hope Channel 5 can escape their recent lull of bad fortune! They are a great channel now, in my opinion.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Every show has it's standards, simply saying it's good in the TV landscape just doesn't really cut it. EE had 10m at Christmas so it's obviously still got the potential to get up near to those heights and be competitive with Corrie. The fact is EE has been getting poor ratings and been of poor quality for too long now.

I thought it was generally accepted that Christmas is a unique time for soaps, in terms of access to casual viewers and climaxes of big storylines. What I don't usually hear are expectations that the soaps should maintain those sort of figures throughout the year. The figures should always be respectable, of course, which I feel EE's ratings are (and which is my main point) but I feel Corrie's current performance is out of the norm, in terms of maintaining that Christmas momentum. I'm sure figures will be posted proving me wrong though! :p

EE being of poor quality is entirely subjective. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure and all that. Focusing on the older characters (and the suggestion that the older characters are neglected is again, subjective) may well encourage certain viewers to come back but until the show puts that theory to the test, it's too easy to make criticisms for them not doing it. We'll probably have to agree to disagree but the reaction on here to a 7.73m rating is baffling to me.
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    EastEnders needs to go back to quality kitchen sink drama that it's known for.

Viewers always switch off from Gang related storylines.

I know the writers thought it would be a good subject to cover and although it's been acted out well there is no momentum or excitement coming from the story.

I hope it picks up pace soon.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Allen is fighting a losing battle trying to find a vehicle for Frankie Boyle, mind. He used to be a good stand-up but these days he comes across as just an idiot, and his C4 series was truly awful. Not cos it was controversial, cos it was boring.
    Yes, I think it's probably a complete waste of time. For TV purposes, he seems spent as a stand up and a panel member. I'm aware people still go and watch his stage shows, but people used to go and watch Bernard Manning.

I don't know if Boyle can act a bit, possibly enabling him to try a role in a sitcom, but even then, I think it would have to be a supporting role. I don't think he could carry a sitcom as the "star".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I couldn't see Alan Carr working anywhere else though - and the BBC wouldn't want to end up with another Graham Norton situation where they sign someone up and have no show for them, so end up giving them any old Saturday night dross even though their strengths lie elsewhere.
    I don't think Carr is anywhere near as versatile as Norton. Then again, I didn't think Norton was versatile when his five nights a week C4 chat show was all he was doing. When that had resorted to a segment where they put a tiny camera down people's underpants to look at their pubic hair, I couldn't even envisage Norton's TV career lasting much longer.

Even though he had to make do with Strictly Dance Fever (or whatever it was called) at first, the move gave his career a new lease of life. If he'd stayed at C4, I don't even think he'd have a TV career now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    The best it's been since the early Noughties for sure.
    It was utterly terrible for a few years in between, though. Emmerdale almost caught it in the ratings at one point. These things go in cycles. From what I've seen, Emmerdale is now risible (mental illness is demonstrated by removal of one's beret :rolleyes:), and EastEnders is beginning a slow rebuilding process after the Kirkwood era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Only 279k (1.9%) for Eastenders bbc3 repeat yesterday, is that its worst ever for 10/10.30pm repeat?
    The constant moving of the BBC Three start time has killed what was both a strong 10pm performance and a valuable lead-in for launching new shows at 10.30pm.

I hope Bennett is never put in charge of BBC One. :eek:
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Carr is anywhere near as versatile as Norton. Then again, I didn't think Norton was versatile when his five nights a week C4 chat show was all he was doing. When that had resorted to a segment where they put a tiny camera down people's underpants to look at their pubic hair, I couldn't even envisage Norton's TV career lasting much longer.

Even though he had to make do with Strictly Dance Fever (or whatever it was called) at first, the move gave his career a new lease of life. If he'd stayed at C4, I don't even think he'd have a TV career now.

I think Graham actually mentioned in an interview that the move to the BBC was driven not due to money but the fact he wanted to increase opportunities even if it did take a few years for them to find him the right vehicles.
    Yes, I think it's probably a complete waste of time. For TV purposes, he seems spent as a stand up and a panel member. I'm aware people still go and watch his stage shows, but people used to go and watch Bernard Manning.

I don't know if Boyle can act a bit, possibly enabling him to try a role in a sitcom, but even then, I think it would have to be a supporting role. I don't think he could carry a sitcom as the "star".

Frankie was brilliant on Mock the Week, his jokes were a little too the knuckle but when they worked, they were very funny but I'm not so keen on his standup, i personally find Dara O'Briain funnier because he actually interacts with the audience along with his material.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed Airdates

Can't see either of those docs doing particularly well.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I thought it was generally accepted that Christmas is a unique time for soaps, in terms of access to casual viewers and climaxes of big storylines. What I don't usually hear are expectations that the soaps should maintain those sort of figures throughout the year. The figures should always be respectable, of course, which I feel EE's ratings are (and which is my main point) but I feel Corrie's current performance is out of the norm, in terms of maintaining that Christmas momentum. I'm sure figures will be posted proving me wrong though! :p

EE being of poor quality is entirely subjective. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure and all that. Focusing on the older characters (and the suggestion that the older characters are neglected is again, subjective) may well encourage certain viewers to come back but until the show puts that theory to the test, it's too easy to make criticisms for them not doing it. We'll probably have to agree to disagree but the reaction on here to a 7.73m rating is baffling to me.
    It's not the reaction to one rating though, it's the reaction to ratings over the last two years or more.

Corrie numbers have been higher due to the fire storyline but normal episodes have still been much higher than EE, it was only a couple of years when the two were neck and neck.

It's only Eastenders that gets boosted at Christmas, Corrie and Emmerdale often are lower at Christmas than their usual figures. There's obviously more potential viewers out there but why are they only staying for a few episodes?

Quality is subjective but even many fans are criticizing the show, I'm a fan myself and I have hardly watched since Christmas because it's so dull. The ratings back it up, main episode is well down again, year-on-year, more than the other two main soaps. The BBC3 figures have reduced dramatically, omnibus numbers are down and iPlayer viewers haven't increased.

Saying there's nothing wrong when the figures keep falling and Corrie and Emmerdale remain fairly stable just seems to be burying your head in the sand.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent ratings for Coronation Street and Broadchurch. Coronation Street is on a roll right now and is looking strong as we head into the summer months where ratings are traditionally lower.

As for EastEnders, the ratings pattern is concerning. The fact that 2 million more viewers watched Coronation Street, and didn't bother to flick to EastEnders in between the Corrie sandwich speaks volumes. The two soaps used to be a lot closer in the figures on a Monday. I think EastEnders is going to struggle a lot this summer.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,395
    Administrator
      Admin Notice: This thread is continued here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65004226#post65004226
    This discussion has been closed.