214 in 2014

Comments

• Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Burning Bright - Ron Rash. Beautiful collection of short stories I've seen termed as 'hick lit'. I'll definitely be reading more of his stuff.
  • flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    kindle paperwhite for Xmas so my target of 30 should be easy this year. So far...

1) either side if midnight - Tori De Clare
    2) into the darkest corner - Elizabeth Haynes
    3) No bra Required - Nikki Ashton
  • thelizzyukzthelizzyukz Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    My goal is 25 books, I know compared to most of you its a small amount but I've got exams and grades to keep up.

1) The Fault in our Stars by John Green
    pretty good book if you're interested in romantic genre but it did end quite sadly and I got through it in about 2 weeks.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (1st-12th January)
    I enjoyed this in fits and starts but it dragged in places. I was far more interested in the modern day tale than all of the historical documents surrounding it. Very slow in places.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4. Cross Stitch - Diana Gabaldon

I read this after reading the thread about the books on here. I found it a very entertaining book. Thing I'll have a break before the next one though, not much housework was done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    3. Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn

I really enjoyed this. Was a real page turner and I ended up finishing the book in a day. I did prefer Gone Girl, but this was definitely a good read.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. In the Blood by Steve Robinson

9/10 - a really good book I bought for 0.99 for my Kindle. I am intrigued to read some more by this author. I love historical books and it was a good mixture of a present day action packed mystery and flashing back to the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2. A Pure Swift Cry by Siobhan Dowd (12th January)
    A reasonably enjoyable book, if enjoyable is the word for something quite so bleak. Well-written anyway, if a tad predictable and unfulfilling in places.
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Necessary Lies - Diane Chamberlain
    2. Inferno - Dan Brown
    3. Tangled Lives - Hilary Boyd
    4. The Cornish House - Liz Fenwick
    5. 12 Years A Slave - Solomon Northup
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think a realistic target for me is 52 books. One a week seems achievable.

1) Lord of the Rings:The Two Towers

Read this many times before but still just as enjoyable.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10) A Perfect Marriage - Jean Saunders
    11) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3) Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    2. Shakespeare, My Butt by John Donoghue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi fellow readers. Rather foolishly set myself a challenge of 121 as I read 120 books last year. I will have to see how it goes! I'm also going to make this a year of more re-reads, as I find I'm buying too many Kindle books that are not really that good.

1. The Veiled One, by Ruth Rendell. 4/5
    2. Tooth and Nail, by Ian Rankin. 3/5
    3. The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, by Simon Mawer. 3/5
    4. Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, by Reza Aslan. 2/5
    5. A Fatal Inversion, by Barbara Vine. 4/5
    6. Blood From Stone, by Frances Fyfield. 3/5
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally read a book a week so my aim must be 52 books.

However, some of the books i want to read this year are massive so i might have to balance it out by reading a few pop-up books as well.

1. The Road Home by Rose Tremain.
    2. Fearie Tales. A compilation of horror stories by contemporary authors based on Fairy Tales.
    3. The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M Banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12) Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question.

I am reading a compilation that contains about 30 short stories.

Would this count as 30 books? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    4. The Cruicifix Killer - Chris Carter

Very grim, but enjoyable book. A real page turner and the first in a series featuring detective Robert Hunter. I will definitely read more by this author as I was surprised by the ending.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    2. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith - 7/10
    Confirmed what I realised when I re-read the Harry Potter books last year, Rowling is an excellent storyteller but she leaves a lot to be desired in the actual writing. It's even more apparent when she's writing for adults. Overall I enjoyed it and thought the characters were well-drawn but too many times it felt like she was using a thesaurus for every other word, which didn't fit right with the story or the characters.

3. Divergent - Veronica Roth - 7/10
    Decent, it's no Hunger Games but it's an enjoyable read even if I'm not reaching for the next part right away.

4. The ABC Murders - Agatha Christie - 8/10
    Only the second Christie I've read but I really enjoyed it, even though it did take a bit to get used to the writing style. I just wish I could have figured out the killer myself, but it's not the book's fault I'm a bit slow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3. Undone by Cat Clarke (12th-15th January) - I read 'Torn' by the same author last year and at the time I logged it using words such as 'disturbing' and 'dark'. This was much the same. I got a bit bored midway through as the main character was seeking revenge and it wasn't Revenge-y enough for my liking, but then I was awake late at night and read the last 200 pages and the ending was a genuine heart in mouth thing. Felt a bit sick if I'm honest. Not a bad book just a very stressful one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    4. Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews. This one set me back a bit. I loved her With Love at Christmas but I just found this one a bit difficult to get in to. I have another few of her books to get through so I am giving Wrapped Up in You a chance to see how it goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Burning Bright - Ron Rash. Beautiful collection of short stories I've seen termed as 'hick lit'. I'll definitely be reading more of his stuff.
    It's an excellent collection, and I love your term 'hick lit'. I've also read The Cove, and will read more too. Surprised he is not a bit more well known in the UK.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Quick question.

Well, it's up to you but I would say it's cheating! :o

Having said that, I am also cheating as I have started my list on Christmas Day when I got my Kindle!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Quick question.

I have always counted a compilation of short stories as one book!!!

But its up to you - no right or wrong answer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13) The Confusion of Karen Carpenter - Jonathan Harvey