Options

Don't you miss...

occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,423
Forum Member
...having a great West Indies cricket team

I know they used to beat us out of sight - but the thrill in watching their great fast bowlers destroy a team, followed by some of the greatest batsman ever, was a joy to watch.

I'd love to have seen a full strenth W Indies of the 70s/80s take on the Aussies of the 90s/00s - what a contest. To me the Aussies never had quite the bowling firepower to match - though Warne would have madea difference

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Say a great little documentary on BBC3 the other night...........it was a look at the 1976 West Indies tour set in the social context of the mid-70s..........the summer of 'drought', racism, the Sus Law, Notting Hill Carnival riots, Tony Grieg's 'grovel' comment

Watch out for it.............BBC3 repeat everything a hundred times........:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Say a great little documentary on BBC3 the other night...........it was a look at the 1976 West Indies tour set in the social context of the mid-70s..........the summer of 'drought', racism, the Sus Law, Notting Hill Carnival riots, Tony Grieg's 'grovel' comment

Watch out for it.............BBC3 repeat everything a hundred times........:cool:

Thanks I will :)

I still remember watching that interview with Greig when he said that (I was 14 at the time) - I think it would have been on "Sportnight with Coleman" (ah the memories). Even at 14 I thought it was a bizarre thing to say- everyone knew how good they were and boy did they show it. And we had a pretty good side then too!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I will :)

I still remember watching that interview with Greig when he said that (I was 14 at the time) - I think it would have been on "Sportnight with Coleman" (ah the memories). Even at 14 I thought it was a bizarre thing to say- everyone knew how good they were and boy did they show it. And we had a pretty good side then too!

I didn't realise until this week that Greig had 'form' with the West Indies team

With the 50th anniversary of TMS some of the old codgers on there were reminiscing about their early days commentating and one of them told the story of a match in the previous series in the Windies.

It was the last ball of the last day, game a draw........Kallicharan was over 100 not out.........stood at the non strikers end...........backing up, Grieg bowling.........he ran up and took the bails off and appealed...........the Ump had to give Kalli out.........

There was a riot...........

Eventually, some 4 hours later, Mike Brearley officially withdrew the appeal and Kalli was re-instated to 'not out'.........

That's the background against which to see the 'grovel' comment.............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise until this week that Greig had 'form' with the West Indies team

With the 50th anniversary of TMS some of the old codgers on there were reminiscing about their early days commentating and one of them told the story of a match in the previous series in the Windies.

It was the last ball of the last day, game a draw........Kallicharan was over 100 not out.........stood at the non strikers end...........backing up, Grieg bowling.........he ran up and took the bails off and appealed...........the Ump had to give Kalli out.........

There was a riot...........

Eventually, some 4 hours later, Mike Brearley officially withdrew the appeal and Kalli was re-instated to 'not out'.........

That's the background against which to see the 'grovel' comment.............

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!

I suppose it depends whether Greig had given Kalli any warnings that he was walking too soon, but even so.

Mind you - who was it that tried to throw the stumps down when a batsman had been hit badly and was hopping around outside his crease? I have a feeling that might have been Greig too..

Never really understood how he got the captaincy really
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the great west indies team would beat any aussie team of the last 30 years, not only did they have the fast, faster and very fast bowlers, but what batsmen they had too!!!
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it was on BBC1 last night after the news