Options

Is there a lack of creativity in music today?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think that the sign of a good non mainstream band is how long they survive without a hit single.

For an excellent new Album try Wonderful. Glorious by Eels. This is the tenth album, no top 10 hits since their debut but a very strong fan base
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course!! :P Well in the charts anyway.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chart music used to push boundaries though.

Of the recent pop stuff, the one that catches my ear are Little Mix (even though I'm 50+ years outside their marketing range), its catchy stuff , and they seem to have lyrics that avoid the usual sexual innuendo cliches that pretty much seem de facto at the minute. The live stuff I've seen clips of shows they at least have some talent behind the hype as well.

I agree with this sentiment (also mentioned by mushymanrob) that the charts used to be more diverse and push creative boundaries. It is also surprising that in the era where producers have come to the fore that there is so little creativity in the mainstream. It may be the influence of technology which has proved surprisingly confining rather than liberating, perhaps it has made artists lazy?
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well i dont think the charts (singles) pushed boundaries so much as they advertised the boundries that were being pushed in the greater music scene... just to be clear :)
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    It's not lack of creativity, it's lack of risk taking. Labels play it safe (and sign puppets), signed artists play it safe (and sing crap) and radio stations play it safe (and only play signed artists). It's a cycle tbh.

This. I think there is creative great music out there, you just have to look that extra bit harder for it. There are alot of under the radar artists out there, that arent playing the corporate game. Those of us that love music will always hunt it out!

'Pop' musics era is just that, an era. Its pretty obvious that mainstream 'pop' has been sleepwalking generally, however if you look outside the confines of chart related 'pop' you can still discover gems to be found.

For all those bemoaning the lack of creativity in todays music, theres nothing wrong in spending your time discovering all the gr8 music that was created over the last century. Theres PLENTY to check out.

I would also add, that due to the diy nature of computer made music, especially since the 90's has led to a decline in the way music sounds. Alot of todays music is produced by producers who like to put alot of focus on bass frequencies, making their music sound big, but somehow flat.

Music will always be around, but I dont think music as we know it currently will be so important to future generations as the world changes rapidly over this century.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    The beats in chart music are creative
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    fall back into the classics, stick with your inspiring artists of now and delve deeper beneath the mainstream... that's how i go these days with music :)

Exactly.