Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 33)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a label like Syco giving so much creative freedom, because it's all about money?!

A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece. -- Ludwig Erhard

:D
  • Options
    megataffmegataff Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Yes and Graham Norton. I'd love to see her on the sofa with hollywood stars ;D
    Alan Carr show - Yes. Graham Norton - No.

We were watching Graham Norton this morning funnily enough, when he has John Hann, Charlize Theron and Steve Coogan as his guests on the sofa and for 90% of the show Coogan was sat on the end as if he didn't exist!!

Apart from the odd quick question - after what seemed like an eternity since he last looked at him - it was all about the other two. It was the same the other week with one of his guests (can't remember her name...big girl with a mega-cockney accent...)

It was embarassing for the 'outsider' it really was. I'm afraid I'd have just got up and said 'See ya after in the bar upstairs - I'm off!'

Imagine if it was poor ol' Le as the Outsider... :(

Alan Carr would be great though....he'd really bring out the minx in her I reckon :D
  • Options
    butlernybutlerny Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Leona sounded really happy with Glassheart 1.0 but obviously the labels didn't agree hence why Fraser was called in and the album has been delayed by a year. I think Leona has lost some of her control imo, particularly after Echo didn't perform to their expectations...

But Echo didn't perform because of leonas songwriting like Clive davis said!!:eek:
    Syco shelved promotion too soon therefore they failed Leona...I happened to love most of the songs on Echo and they should have released more singles:confused::D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butlerny wrote: »
    But Echo didn't perform because of leonas songwriting like Clive davis said!!:eek:
    Syco shelved promotion too soon therefore they failed Leona...I happened to love most of the songs on Echo and they should have released more singles:confused::D

Hmmm....Echo had massive massive potential, but the label just gave up. OMH and Naked are really radio friendly and could have been more hits for Leona, given the push of course....

I love Echo and the vibe it has too....it's just a shame that they abandoned it so soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    megataff wrote: »
    Alan Carr show - Yes. Graham Norton - No.

We were watching Graham Norton this morning funnily enough, when he has John Hann, Charlize Theron and Steve Coogan as his guests on the sofa and for 90% of the show Coogan was sat on the end as if he didn't exist!!

Apart from the odd quick question - after what seemed like an eternity since he last looked at him - it was all about the other two. It was the same the other week with one of his guests (can't remember her name...big girl with a mega-cockney accent...)

It was embarassing for the 'outsider' it really was. I'm afraid I'd have just got up and said 'See ya after in the bar upstairs - I'm off!'

Imagine if it was poor ol' Le as the Outsider... :(

Alan Carr would be great though....he'd really bring out the minx in her I reckon :D
    happened with Tom Jones too:eek:
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's weird, because Leona never write a song on her own so it wasn't really her fault ;)

To me Echo didn't do great because of the bad songs they picked as single. These were great songs on a album but not as a single. OMH would have done great.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because she has managed to get at least decent control.

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine a label like Syco giving so much creative freedom, because it's all about money?!

For a couple of years now they've been pushing the idea of all their acts being more involved. Even Little Mix have co-written their new single. I think it's true to an extent - Simon Cowell certainly isn't taking any great interest in any of them these days. They want their acts to have opinions and to have some ideas about what they want to do - or so they say.

But regardless of who you are, record labels have one massive card to play - they don't need to release your album. They also have final say over what tracks make the album and which singles are released (that's in the contract).

The most successful acts play the game. You need to bring people with you. Putting out an album can cost upwards of £1m so it's a big commitment for a company to make. For her career, it's important that Syco/RCA are really pleased with the album and think it's worth a big push. Hopefully the time taken over the past few months has helped with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Leona was to leave syco do you think she would be like other X factor winners an never be heard again ?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTaylor wrote: »
    If Leona was to leave syco do you think she would be like other X factor winners an never be heard again ?

IF Leona signed to a Universal label I actually think she could return to the worldwide star she was. SME are not a great label group and UMG artists do so much better and tend to have higher budgets....

But I don't see Leona leaving Syco tbh. Simon and his team will do everything in their power to keep her there as she is the most successful act on their books.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Hmmm....Echo had massive massive potential, but the label just gave up. OMH and Naked are really radio friendly and could have been more hits for Leona, given the push of course....

I love Echo and the vibe it has too....it's just a shame that they abandoned it so soon.

I liked Naked - I was surprised it wasn't more popular on here, tbh. Unfortunately, the bizzare decision to leave it off the US version meant it was unlikely to be a single. I think it was the best shot they had after IGY - which was quite surprising, tbh. It was meant to be the safe bet. Still love that song as well!

OMH wasn't what they needed at the time. They needed to sell some albums and IMO for Leona the key to that is appealing to the Radio 2 crowd - OMH wouldn't have made their playlist. It might have been good later on if they wanted to show some range, but at that point the priority was just to try and get album sales up.
  • Options
    Laura_xLaura_x Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want her to leave SYCO but doubt that be happening anytime soon.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really don't get this. It's like they effed up, so the easiest thing was to blame it on Leona taking more control of songwriting with this album. Imo, I preferred Echo to Spirit, so Leona songwriting is not an issue for me. My whole issue comes with after Happy. Okay, so I guess the whole thing didn't begin with a huge bang, but I still think she got off to a good start with Happy. The only way was up it seemed.

But when they released I Got You as a second single - Totally wrong idea. I'm not saying it's not a good song, I just don't think it's worthy enough of single treatment. The song pretty much just stays the same from beginning to end, so I tend to overlook it when I listen to Echo. I know the video was left to the last minute, but I can't really blame promotion in this case and would say it flopped because it wasn't the ideal choice. Although not playlisted, she did perform it on GMTV, This Morning, Alan Titchmarsh and the final of SYTYCD. If she had released something else with all this promotion we could have had another Uk #1

I really wish they'd have picked everything up from this :( I would have loved vids for Broken, Alive, Don't Let Me Down, Can't Breathe
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    For a couple of years now they've been pushing the idea of all their acts being more involved. Even Little Mix have co-written their new single. I think it's true to an extent - Simon Cowell certainly isn't taking any great interest in any of them these days. They want their acts to have opinions and to have some ideas about what they want to do - or so they say.

But regardless of who you are, record labels have one massive card to play - they don't need to release your album. They also have final say over what tracks make the album and which singles are released (that's in the contract).

The most successful acts play the game. You need to bring people with you. Putting out an album can cost upwards of £1m so it's a big commitment for a company to make. For her career, it's important that Syco/RCA are really pleased with the album and think it's worth a big push. Hopefully the time taken over the past few months has helped with that.

I've noticed this lately. It's interesting, alot of people like to have a pop at Syco and fair enough there not the best label, however it always seems like they encourage their artists to write or have some involvement. I've always felt the pressures from Leona have stemmed from her American record label and Clive Davis' idea of keeping her a conservative type of artist. I think Syco have genuine faith in Leona and would grant her, out of all their artists, the most creative control. It's always felt like Clive who wanted to restrict her. With good reason? I can't say for certain.. but it's apparent the American label want this album perfect and release to go perfectly. If not, it could spell trouble for Leona.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping that the label have secured some deal with Radio 1 to play Leona's new single on a regular basis, considering the whole Radio 1 Hackney thing. Yes they can playlist the song, but that doesn't guarantee regular play. Collide was B-listed and only usually got played at 6am. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the label have secured some deal with Radio 1 to play Leona's new single on a regular basis, considering the whole Radio 1 Hackney thing. Yes they can playlist the song, but that doesn't guarantee regular play. Collide was B-listed and only usually got played at 6am. :p

She's basically set for life with the things she's doing for them at the moment. Smart move whoever got her on board with this.
  • Options
    amo1980amo1980 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's basically set for life with the things she's doing for them at the moment. Smart move whoever got her on board with this.

Well, they had already announced her as a hackney 2012 ambassador by the time Collide came out, but other than the premiere on Scott Mills (? i think?) there wasnt huge support for her... but yeah, now that she is actively involved in the hackney / radio 1 / 1xtra work hopefully there will be full radio 1 support for the rest of the GlassHeart era :D cant wait to hear new leona material on the radio!!! :D
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member

I wouldn't say so. I remember her doing Live Lounge for I Got You and I thought that would guarantee airplay but it didn't make it beyond C-List. Radio programmers are very fickle; just look at poor Alexandra Burke who is really struggling at the moment despite being the most played UK female on radio during her first era!

Radio 1 and Capital did both playlist Collide and with hindsight I honestly think they just didn't like the song. Plus the controversy around it didn't help at all and most likely influenced them too. I'm crossing my fingers it's not a problem with Leona that they had but just Collide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I'm going to study in UK this August so i'm hoping to see Leona-related things everywhere by the time i arrive :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. I remember her doing Live Lounge for I Got You and I thought that would guarantee airplay but it didn't make it beyond C-List. Radio programmers are very fickle; just look at poor Alexandra Burke who is really struggling at the moment despite being the most played UK female on radio during her first era!

Radio 1 and Capital did both playlist Collide and with hindsight I honestly think they just didn't like the song. Plus the controversy around it didn't help at all and most likely influenced them too. I'm crossing my fingers it's not a problem with Leona that they had but just Collide.

The only reason I say so is because she's been so heavily involved with all the radio 1 projects that it would look very bizarre on them if they weren't to support her singles from Glassheart. Obviously not for life I wasn't serious when I said that, but I do think this partnership she's built up with them won't be forgotten for a good while. I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    The only reason I say so is because she's been so heavily involved with all the radio 1 projects that it would look very bizarre on them if they weren't to support her singles from Glassheart. Obviously not for life I wasn't serious when I said that, but I do think this partnership she's built up with them won't be forgotten for a good while. I hope so anyway.

Yeah I'd like to think they will at least support all the Glassheart singles now. It's not like she's just performing at the Weekend, she has invested lots of time into the TV programmes about the event and contributed to a lot of the press for it.
  • Options
    shatteredglassshatteredglass Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are definitely starting to look up :)

Now we just need that smash single!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Even though Leona usually isn't very vocal about these things, I'm still actually kind of surprised she hasn't told us she's chosen her new single. I mean, if she's already getting the set list together for the concert, surely they've got a single picked out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if it is just me but I prefer the version of Glassheart at G-A-Y better than the version at Hong Kong... I like the bit where she sings "Promise that we'll never fall down, fall down" near the end. Although I also like the nigh note she does in the Hong Kong version, but I don't like it when she sang over the music in the last chorus...
    I hope they haven't remixed it too much. :)
  • Options
    IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    fall apart not down :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A DREAM.....WISHFUL THINKING ONLY

TODAY SINGLE ANNOUNCED.....GLASSHEART..
    SNIPPET OF VIDEO LEAKED WITH LEONA LOOKING WAY HOTTER THAN ANYTHING WE,VE SEEN BEFORE..
    AS I SAID JUST A DREAM:eek::D
This discussion has been closed.