3G speed on 3

SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
What is the point of LTE, when you can get quicker speeds on 3G. I just got over 23mbps on 3G on the Three network in shenfield, Essex.
When I have tested EE LTE in central London I have been lucky to get over 10 Mbps. I was paying £46 per month for unlimited texts, calls and 6Gb of data with a iPhone 5 @ £99, having got out of that contract through EE EXECUTIVE office I am now paying £25 per month for 1000 minutes 5000 texts and unlimited data @ £99 for iPhone 5. I just don't see the value in EE LTE tariffs ?

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would have been HPSA (H+) rather than 3G.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of LTE, when you can get quicker speeds on 3G. I just got over 23mbps on 3G on the Three network in shenfield, Essex.
    When I have tested EE LTE in central London I have been lucky to get over 10 Mbps. I was paying £46 per month for unlimited texts, calls and 6Gb of data with a iPhone 5 @ £99, having got out of that contract through EE EXECUTIVE office I am now paying £25 per month for 1000 minutes 5000 texts and unlimited data @ £99 for iPhone 5. I just don't see the value in EE LTE tariffs ?

Nice didn't know anyone on EE was getting unlimited data?
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Nice didn't know anyone on EE was getting unlimited data?

Read the post properly ... The unlimited refers to the 3 network not EE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

Errr HSPA is a version of 3G
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I agree. I saw an ad on the TV the other day for EE and it said in the small print that you can expect to get an average of 9-12mbps. I have heard stories of worse than that. I have a sim only with Three that includes unlimited data for less than a tenner a month.

I never get less than about 8mbps and have managed 26mbps on my iphone 5. I won't be hurrying to 4G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the post properly ... The unlimited refers to the 3 network not EE

Ah I see that it slightly unclear I read as if you got that deal from the EE Executive office. Should of guessed it was Three.
    Errr HSPA is a version of 3G

LTE is a version of 3G as well just allowed to be called 4G. And to be getting speeds you are I expect you are likely using DC-HSPA. Three seems the best value for phones at moment specially if you want good data.
    chris4817 wrote: »
    I agree. I saw an ad on the TV the other day for EE and it said in the small print that you can expect to get an average of 9-12mbps. I have heard stories of worse than that. I have a sim only with Three that includes unlimited data for less than a tenner a month.

I never get less than about 8mbps and have managed 26mbps on my iphone 5. I won't be hurrying to 4G.

You won't have to hurry Three are giving LTE to all customers and it will support IPhone 5 like EE's.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »

:confused:

To be honest Three have got a good strategy moving forward. Their ultrafast branding has been very clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

To be honest Three have got a good strategy moving forward. Their ultrafast branding has been very clever.

Agreed it a better slogan than O2 or EE have got for sure. Vodafone Yoda thing is pretty kool as well though. Some might think it's LTE though but they do say clearly at moment it's not but it will soon probably 4-5 months and we will see LTE on Three in London.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might be clever in the short term for 3 but it will confuse customers and has the potential to delay uptake of LTE services in the longer term which could have a very negative effect on 3 themselves who will have to cope with an increasing demand from their 'Ultrafast' unlimited data using customers.

3's 'Ultrafast' proposition allied to unlimited data is a big gamble as they have a finite amount of bandwidth to deliver data. I note that 3 are now including information in the small print of their adverts about 'Trafficsense' their data rationing system which they introduced for a while last year and withdrew after a hammering from users on forums etc. Looks like Trafficsense will be making a comeback and that might not be popular with the 1000's who have signed up for unlimited data on expensive contracts, depending on the level of restriction 3 choose to impose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be clever in the short term for 3 but it will confuse customers and has the potential to delay uptake of LTE services in the longer term which could have a very negative effect on 3 themselves who will have to cope with an increasing demand from their 'Ultrafast' unlimited data using customers.

3's 'Ultrafast' proposition allied to unlimited data is a big gamble as they have a finite amount of bandwidth to deliver data. I note that 3 are now including information in the small print of their adverts about 'Trafficsense' their data rationing system which they introduced for a while last year and withdrew after a hammering from users on forums etc. Looks like Trafficsense will be making a comeback and that might not be popular with the 1000's who have signed up for unlimited data on expensive contracts, depending on the level of restriction 3 choose to impose.

True they do have a finite amount of bandwidth but same can be said of all networks apart from EE as they just have tons of 4G spectrum. I don't see anyone really complaining about Ultrafast so far and come september/october LTE will start rolling out. I am sure there are some people on EE who don't get 4G and they are paying extra for it. They have the least amount of customers in UK though so it might be okay or might not only time will tell. It won't become an issue till Late 2014 Early 2015 if it does at all.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    True they do have a finite amount of bandwidth but same can be said of all networks apart from EE as they just have tons of 4G spectrum. I don't see anyone really complaining about Ultrafast so far and come september/october LTE will start rolling out. I am sure there are some people on EE who don't get 4G and they are paying extra for it. They have the least amount of customers in UK though so it might be okay or might not only time will tell. It won't become an issue till Late 2014 Early 2015 if it does at all.

Problem is that others have limits that allow the network to maintain quality of service and 3 does not.

That will eventually become a big issue for 3 customers and 3 have reintroduced 'Trafficsense' in their advertising.... a clue perhaps?
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hspda+ and LTE are not 4g , ergo they are 3g......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is that others have limits that allow the network to maintain quality of service and 3 does not.

That will eventually become a big issue for 3 customers and 3 have reintroduced 'Trafficsense' in their advertising.... a clue perhaps?

I think they will keep unlimited as that is there thing not sure how traffic sense is going be there.
    Forum Member
    3 have reintroduced 'Trafficsense' in their advertising.... a clue perhaps?

You say that but three have had it in their adverts and advertising for almost a year now.

Looks like the 3 hate brigade is out in full force tonight :D
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Out if interest what were the 3G Three speeds in central London... Not Essex.

The LTE network in London is still being developed, where as the 3G upgrades for Three / EE are largely done within the M25.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out if interest what were the 3G Three speeds in central London... Not Essex.

The LTE network in London is still being developed, where as the 3G upgrades for Three / EE are largely done within the M25.

3G speeds on 3 in central london around 6-8mbps down and 2 mbps up

EE 3G 4-6 mbps down and 2-3 up
  • coolmp3coolmp3 Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    3G speeds on 3 in central london around 6-8mbps down and 2 mbps up

EE 3G 4-6 mbps down and 2-3 up

I was lucky to get a consistent 2mbps with 3 and an iphone 5 in central London less than a month ago

Now I'm with ee4g I get a minimum of 10mbps but mainly around 18mbps. With highs as much as 38! In central London that is and tested at peak times
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29700kbps is my best download speed so far on Three, in a secluded part of the Wirral strangely. Speeds such as that, allied to unlimited data, makes EE's prices look extortionate in the extreme.
    Forum Member
    coolmp3 wrote: »
    I was lucky to get a consistent 2mbps with 3 and an iphone 5 in central London less than a month ago

Now I'm with ee4g I get a minimum of 10mbps but mainly around 18mbps. With highs as much as 38! In central London that is and tested at peak times

What did you do on your phone that required you to have a 38Mbps connection? Open an email? :D
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Downloading (and uploading) uncompressed TIFF images from cloud storage on the move.. day in day out.

The problem i have with 3G speeds is that it is totally inconsistent, busy times or areas kill the speed. Never had my 4G at less than 10mbps (only in central london) and 99% of the time it's over 30mbps... always with low latency and super upload speeds.
    Forum Member
    Downloading (and uploading) uncompressed TIFF images from cloud storage on the move.. day in day out.

Shhhhh. I wasn't asking you :p

I agree though. 4G is much more consistent and able to reach places 3G just can't in some cases. And the high upload speeds is a huge plus.

DC-HSPA+ cannot match that. But unless you're a heavy/power user it's not going to benefit you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shhhhh. I wasn't asking you :p

I agree though. 4G is much more consistent and able to reach places 3G just can't in some cases. And the high upload speeds is a huge plus.

DC-HSPA+ cannot match that. But unless you're a heavy/power user it's not going to benefit you.

Of course it is it is meant to be more consistent but you are correct unless you doing stuff which requires a lot of data on a day in day basis. Only benefit 4G will have in a few years for you is coverage.

When 4G gets pretty decent coverage I can see it becoming a major option for people who want fast broadband but can't get at there house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    It's the inconsistency of people's experiences that really annoys me. I know it's the nature of telecoms, but canvass one hundred people (and I would if it wouldn't annoy the hell out of everyone) and you'll get one hundred different answers about network reliability and coverage.

Choosing between different suppliers seems to be little more than a coin flip!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »
    It's the inconsistency of people's experiences that really annoys me. I know it's the nature of telecoms, but canvass one hundred people (and I would if it wouldn't annoy the hell out of everyone) and you'll get one hundred different answers about network reliability and coverage.

Choosing between different suppliers seems to be little more than a coin flip!

That's why Root Metrics travel around and carry out 1000's of tests in each main city, aggregate all the results and publish them so you can choose which operators really perform against the more expensive providers with lower 3G performance, more dropped calls etc. I note you're in London, here's the London report.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/uk/compare-operators/united-kingdom/london/london-october-2012/

In London they performed 70,846 call, mobile internet, and text tests, covering all hours of the day and night. They travelled 2,292 miles around the London area and performed indoor and outdoor tests with their professional teams using off the shelf phones from the retailers themselves.

The results were that Three was ranked highest for mobile internet, texts and combined performance, with calls being a draw between Three and O2. There wasn't much between the operators for calls and texts in London, data did separate operators though.
    Within London proper, Vodafone delivered the fastest average download speed.
    Generally, the surrounding towns and villages experienced declines in performance across all networks. Three was an exception: they delivered faster average download speeds to these areas compared to the city itself.
    On the commutes between these areas, networks are typically slower still. Amongst the lot, Three was the fastest for both download and upload.

We’re firm believers that sheer speed alone isn’t the best indication of mobile internet performance; perhaps a more practical measure is how often users actually experience fast mobile internet speeds. We’ve found that mobile performance increases notably at speeds above 3 Mbps.
    Three recorded the greatest percentage of mobile internet speeds above 3 Mbps, doing so in 32.6% of our tests

This data was also from October, Three has rolled out much more dc-hsdpa since then as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Thank you for that - I actually downloaded the Root Metrics app on to my phone, but there wasn't enough specific information regarding my immediate home area.

Well, I can certainly concur with their T-Mobile findings!

That's very useful information for me, so thank you again!