Google Nexus 7 32GB - £199

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed.

The *only* use I can see for a camera on a tablet is a *front* camera for Skype etc.

WTF would anyone want to whip out a tablet to take photos anywhere, whether planned or spontaneous? Makes far more sense to use a cameraphone / smartphone or an actual camera.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Indeed.

The *only* use I can see for a camera on a tablet is a *front* camera for Skype etc.

WTF would anyone want to whip out a tablet to take photos anywhere, whether planned or spontaneous? Makes far more sense to use a cameraphone / smartphone or an actual camera.

I would :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would :D

but why? Happy to be convinced, and plenty of people *are* doing, but really?

Its as though people seem to think if it has a big screen it somehow takes better pictures...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite like a rear facing camera on the nexus, good for scanning barcodes, other than that even the small 7" nexus is a far too big flat device to take photos with, use your phone or a real camera.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    but why? Happy to be convinced, and plenty of people *are* doing, but really?

Its as though people seem to think if it has a big screen it somehow takes better pictures...

If you want to take a picture and don't have a camera with you what's the problem? Just because it's big doesn't matter.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    If you want to take a picture and don't have a camera with you what's the problem? Just because it's big doesn't matter.

To be honest I can't think of a time I would have my tablet on me but not my phone.

I always feel a bit sorry for the people behind when you see people holding tablets up at sporting events....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

as its big you have to hold it further away from you to use it, which means its more likely to have motion blur. And the quality will be crap.

Mostly what Stuart says though, people with tablets generally have a better camera in their pocket.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Even if I don't have a camera with me, I always have a smartphone with me... I don't carry a tablet around all the time, but if for some reason I did, I'd still use a phone or camera to take photos as it's easier and better quality.

If you're at e.g. a wedding, a party, a night out, a day trip, a weekend break, or anywhere else where you may want to take planned or unplanned photos, a camera or phone is far more convenient to carry around all the time than a tablet and will also give better photos. Quality and convenience.
    Forum Member
    So there is not really a problem with using one as a camera as long as you are not blocking the person behind you...maybe the people who use ta Tablet don't have a better camera with them...not all phone cameras are up to much.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never used the camera on my tablet. The case I'm using can be fitted in different ways, the way I've fitted it actually blocks the camera so I'd have to take it out of the case to use it which would be too much of a hassle when I could use the camera on my phone which is better anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking about buying a tablet but I'm going to hold off until early 2013 when the Nexus 10" is meant to be coming out. It's a Google and Samsung collaboration this time.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. I didn't read every post in the thread.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    So there is not really a problem with using one as a camera as long as you are not blocking the person behind you...maybe the people who use ta Tablet don't have a better camera with them...not all phone cameras are up to much.

Gosh you can be obtuse Alan .....:p
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So might the 16gb version take the place and price point of the old 8gb version?
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So might the 16gb version take the place and price point of the old 8gb version?
    Possibly, but from what I have seen it looks like it might be phased out
    I suppose we just need to wait until the end of the week to find out!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon have an 8gig Kindle Fire for £129. They may go that that route instead of phasing it out.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking about buying a tablet but I'm going to hold off until early 2013 when the Nexus 10" is meant to be coming out. It's a Google and Samsung collaboration this time.

Sorry if it's been mentioned already. I didn't read every post in the thread.

I hope its sooner than that. I was looking at buying an Asus Infinity or a Note 10.1. Was swayed towards the Infinity because of the screen resolution. With the rumour being the Nexus 10 will be unveiled next Monday, I was hoping the release date would be a 3-4 weeks after that. I would be surprised if it was not available in time for xmas.
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    I hope its sooner than that. I was looking at buying an Asus Infinity or a Note 10.1. Was swayed towards the Infinity because of the screen resolution. With the rumour being the Nexus 10 will be unveiled next Monday, I was hoping the release date would be a 3-4 weeks after that. I would be surprised if it was not available in time for xmas.

I thought it was a bit strange, the Nexus 10 not being out before Xmas. I just a quick Google mind you, and the two or three reports that I read mentioned that it would be out in early 2013. Before Xmas would be better though! I just hope it's got a memory card slot along with a duel core processor. If they've got it right, it should be a nice bit of kit and I'd go for that rather than an iPad.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a bit strange, the Nexus 10 not being out before Xmas. I just a quick Google mind you, and the two or three reports that I read mentioned that it would be out in early 2013. Before Xmas would be better though! I just hope it's got a memory card slot along with a duel core processor. If they've got it right, it should be a nice bit of kit and I'd go for that rather than an iPad.

I'd expect it to have a quad core like the Nexus 7 :D
    Forum Member
    I'd expect it to have a quad core like the Nexus 7 :D

One would certainly hope so but you never know. Madness if it doesn't though!
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

Thats a shame it wont be out before xmas. Cant help but feel they have missed a trick. Especially with a load of other tablets hitting the market in the next month or so. I am not in any hurry, so can wait. I will know what the specs are pricing will be by next monday, so I can then make my mind up which way to go.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Indeed.

I've seen maybe 3 people get their tablet out before on different occasions and I thought "muppet - - just use your phone" each time.
    Forum Member
    I've seen maybe 3 people get their tablet out before on different occasions and I thought "muppet - - just use your phone" each time.

What if they didn't have a phone? What if the tablets camera was better? Should they not use a proper camera?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if they didn't have a phone? What if the tablets camera was better? Should they not use a proper camera?

The proportion of people who own a tablet but not a phone with a camera must be statistically zero.

The proportion of people who own a tablet with a better camera than the one on their phone will only be a tiny bit higher than that.

its more about trying to find uses for shiny new tablet.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    The proportion of people who own a tablet but not a phone with a camera must be statistically zero.

The proportion of people who own a tablet with a better camera than the one on their phone will only be a tiny bit higher than that.

its more about trying to find uses for shiny new tablet.

Should just use a camera. Generally better shots all round
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should just use a camera. Generally better shots all round

yep.

The difference is, there'll be times when you don't have your camera with you but do have your phone with you.

Not really going to be times you have your tablet with you but not your phone.