Options

DLA Form Filling Help

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    A quick tip and a warning (which hopefully won't apply to many people but it's happened to me BOTH times I got my DLA refreshed).

Take photocopies of the form once you've completed it and keep it safe - if you get your money, you will have something to work from when they come knocking again in a few years (easier than trying to start from scratch as well as letting you know if you've improved/got worse over time).

When the money is awarded, be ready in case of a 'late' payment or a strange reduction - on both my previous renewals, getting my DLA somehow caused my entire benefits (income support with incapacity top-up) to stop appearing! Fortunately, I had people around to make numerous phone calls.

This time, I was also 'lucky' enough to be switched to fortnightly payements and have my DLA issued separately from Income Support so once the giros started coming again, my DLA mysteriously vanished! After a lot of worry and finally getting the nerve to call them (as I thought the government had just changed the money around), I have got £800 back-paid and now wait with baited breath over the next couple of weeks that nothing else disappears and I have to get on the phone again...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thank's everyone for you info/tips. Much appreciated.
    Thank you
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the whole thread so if this advice has been offered then I apologise for the repeat.

Please go to your local CAB to get help with filling in the forms. They can be very confusing and often we had people turned down because they'd got confused.

ALWAYS fill in as if its your worst day and not your best day.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing you need to do is sent EVIDENCE.. as much of of it as possible.

Fill that application envelope with photocopies of care plans, consultants letters, social workers reports.. I even put a copy of my prescription and invitation to therapy letters in!
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Just about to start filling my form in, it's very daunting!!!
  • Options
    grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the whole thread so if this advice has been offered then I apologise for the repeat.

Please go to your local CAB to get help with filling in the forms. They can be very confusing and often we had people turned down because they'd got confused.

ALWAYS fill in as if its your worst day and not your best day.

No thats not right and more likely to be turned down if you do. Its based on the problems you have on an AVERAGE day.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    grilli wrote: »
    No thats not right and more likely to be turned down if you do. Its based on the problems you have on an AVERAGE day.

If you base it on an average day, you will be turned down.

You have to base it on your worst day.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    grilli wrote: »

you`re wrong.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Mine got turned down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine got turned down.
    Appeal