Horse Racing 2013

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Hi all, this is my first time in this section so be nice with me :D

Until recently I had not really been into watching the horses for years,although I have fond memories of every Saturday afternoon going off to the bookies with my grandad and then watching the racing together and then him having his little ready reckoner out :D, but one of my friends who is mad about horse racing is trying to talk me into going to Aintree next year and thought I would come here to learn a bit more about how it all works.

So do you lot have any particular way you pick your horses or is it all about just liking the name etc
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    So do you lot have any particular way you pick your horses or is it all about just liking the name etc

Welcome to the racing thread !

I think one of the good things about racing is that there are many ways to pick a winner (and even more to pick a loser !........:p)

It all depends on how much time you're willing to devote to it, how deeply you want to study the form and the breeding and the trainers methods and the different courses and how some tracks will suit some horses and not others..............do you want to get involved in studying handicap marks and looking for that well handicapped horse............do you want to look for pure class in horses that might win the big Group races

'Liking the name' is way down the list of possible ways to pick winners but if you're only going to be a once a month flutter gambler, then you wouldn't want to spend too much time studying form

I guess it's like a lot of things............the more you put in, the more you get out but the first question should be 'how much do you want to put in, in terms of time and effort'
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Welcome to the racing thread !

I think one of the good things about racing is that there are many ways to pick a winner (and even more to pick a loser !........:p)

It all depends on how much time you're willing to devote to it, how deeply you want to study the form and the breeding and the trainers methods and the different courses and how some tracks will suit some horses and not others..............do you want to get involved in studying handicap marks and looking for that well handicapped horse............do you want to look for pure class in horses that might win the big Group races

'Liking the name' is way down the list of possible ways to pick winners but if you're only going to be a once a month flutter gambler, then you wouldn't want to spend too much time studying form

I guess it's like a lot of things............the more you put in, the more you get out but the first question should be 'how much do you want to put in, in terms of time and effort'

I hadn't realised there was so much to learn, and also apart from if I go to the races I dont think I would gamble on the horses everyday. Hmmm, maybe I should give this a bit more thought.
    Thanks for your reply though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    I hadn't realised there was so much to learn, and also apart from if I go to the races I dont think I would gamble on the horses everyday. Hmmm, maybe I should give this a bit more thought.
    Thanks for your reply though :)

I think if you're going to the races as a one off and want to have a bet on each race for the excitement but don't want to spend hours studying the form.......... then just backing the favourite or second favourite in each race would be OK............in a 7 race card you'll probably get a couple of winners just by the law of average as favourites win about 1 race in 3...............

.........and it adds immensely to the enjoyment if you have a horse in each race............it becomes 'your horse' for 5 minutes !

:p
    Forum Member
    I think if you're going to the races as a one off and want to have a bet on each race for the excitement but don't want to spend hours studying the form.......... then just backing the favourite or second favourite in each race would be OK............in a 7 race card you'll probably get a couple of winners just by the law of average as favourites win about 1 race in 3...............

.........and it adds immensely to the enjoyment if you have a horse in each race............it becomes 'your horse' for 5 minutes !

:p

Yes I suppose until I know if I get the bug then I should just stick to the favorites... I just wanted to sort of impress him a bit if I knew what was what :D
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking news on SSN that 2012 St Leger winner Encke is one of 7 horses to test positive for anabolic steroids at Mahmood Al Zarooni's stables.
    Wonder if he'll keep the race. Not sure how the rules work with something like this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Breaking news on SSN that 2012 St Leger winner Encke is one of 7 horses to test positive for anabolic steroids at Mahmood Al Zarooni's stables.
    Wonder if he'll keep the race. Not sure how the rules work with something like this

I saw this on the news and it didn't mention that he'd be stripped of the St Leger. I suppose he would have been tested after the race as the winner, so presumably he was 'clean' at that time (or more precisely, he didn't fail the test)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this on the news and it didn't mention that he'd be stripped of the St Leger. I suppose he would have been tested after the race as the winner, so presumably he was 'clean' at that time (or more precisely, he didn't fail the test)

It's a tricky one. Do they test for steroids or maybe keep the samples. Maybe Al Zarooni has 'fessed up as he didn't realise he was doing anything wrong
    I mentioned it as he stopped Camelot getting the Triple Crown which would have been very prestigious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm reading this right the BHA have now tested all 400 plus horses in the Godolphin yards in England and found another 7 positives, including Encke

All the positives were from Al Zarooni horses and bin Suroor's horses were all clean

That's what I understand

If that's the case it seems to support Godolphin's claim that this was a 'rogue employee' rather than a systematic doping regime (I don't think many people with much knowledge of the sport believed the latter to be true anyway)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jockey Eddie Ahern and owner Dave Clement (ex WBA footballer) found guilty of fraudulent behaviour regarding the running of one of their horses (effectively a non-tryer)

Punishments will be announced this afternoon and both are looking at substantial bans
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Ahern guilty on three counts no less.

Lengthy career-ending ban likely I'd have thought. And rightly so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Ahern guilty on three counts no less.

Lengthy career-ending ban likely I'd have thought. And rightly so.

Ahern banned for ten years
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    BHA sending a clear message with the length of the ban. Good.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile the BHA and France Gallop seem to be making a complete Horlicks of Dettori's return to race riding. France Gallop have apparently approved his return to riding in Britain but require further information on an unspecified medical matter which the BHA say means his return will be delayed until that is resolved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Telescope out of the Derby following a lacklustre racecourse gallop yesterday

I do smile a bit when they describe Ahern's crime as failing to secure the best possible placing. OK, there was corruption involved so he deserves the long ban. Still, I'd rather they described it as 'stopping a horse from the chance of winning'

Because jockeys fail to secure the best possible placing in every race every day ?

Whether it's easing up because they think they've got it in the bag and something comes up and does them on the line...............or easing up when beaten and being overtaken by a few horses. Basically jockeys ease up horses all the time and strictly speaking that is failing to secure the best possible placing

There might not be any corruption involved but it appears little different to what Ahern did if you remove 'motive' from the equation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irish 2000 gns today

It doesn't look a strong renewal with most of the runners having been beaten several times in their careers. Really you want your Classic winners to have won most of their races and maybe had a defeat on debut or in another group one

Quite a few of the market leaders - magician, trading leather, maybe havana gold - look like middle distance types who might lack the milers speed on this faster ground. With Fort Knox looking like a soft ground horse that's 4 out of the top 6 in the betting I'd be looking to oppose

My two against the field would be the 2 that have placed 3rd and 4th in the English and French guineas - Van der Neer and Gale Force Ten
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish 2000 gns today

My two against the field would be the 2 that have placed 3rd and 4th in the English and French guineas - Van der Neer and Gale Force Ten

Good hit Swing

I followed you and did Gale force Ten ew for a profit

Great ride by Cathy Gannon at Haydock on Van Percy and a terrible ride by Bennin in the previous race where he dropped his hands as he mistook the winning post and dropped his hand enabling the favourite to get back up
    He got a 28 day ban
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruby Walsh has stepped down as stable jockey to Paul Nicholls
    Daryl Jacobs steps up to the number one position

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/8737985/paul-nicholls-splits-with-ruby-walsh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If he wanted to start winding down a bit it was a pretty easy choice !

Mullins or Nicholls - which retainer do you keep ?

:eek:

I'm amazed Mullins doesn't bring his horses over here more often............given that they only seem to have 3 or 4 decent class meetings a week in Ireland and he has 3 or 4 champions in every division. They often end up running against each other in Ireland...........surely there must be easy pickings at Ascot, Sandown, Newbury etc

In fact i don't understand why he doesn't have a satellite yard in England
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radio 5 are pretty bad on racing for a national sports channel.........none of the regular presenters know anything about it

Another example just now.............reporting the story of the Walsh-Nicholls split Ian Payne introduced the item with something like 'the partnership that gave us many great moments like this'..............then they played a clip of Hurricane Fly winning the Champion Hurdle..............

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 5 are pretty bad on racing for a national sports channel.........none of the regular presenters know anything about it

Another example just now.............reporting the story of the Walsh-Nicholls split Ian Payne introduced the item with something like 'the partnership that gave us many great moments like this'..............then they played a clip of Hurricane Fly winning the Champion Hurdle..............

:o

I was half expecting them to suggest replacing Ruby Walsh with Frankie Dettori as he was due to return soon.......
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so sad to see Ruby go he was one of my favourite jockeys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Al Zarooni has dropped his appeal against his 8 year ban

Decs are up for the Oaks - 11 declared. Secret Gesture and Moth are the market leaders

There's a horse called Banoffee...........and there's a pudding called Banoffee. It's only just occured to me that it's banana and toffee.............:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magician won't run in the Derby...............he was 2nd favourite

Dawn Approach will probably now be odds on.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moth looked the one from the Guineas most likely for me. Get the feeling Dawn Approach may still be too good for the rest regardless of whether he gets the mile and a half. Seems like a very thin race.