UKIP Watch

Comments

• Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    trunkster wrote: »
    What's also funny is that people like you will spend an inordinate amount of time on here smearing and denigrating them - given that's its only " minor opposition party wins seat near end of Parliament with virtually no policies"
    Why's that?[/QUOTE]

Cannot answer for anyone else but IMO UKIP are dangerous and are treading a fine line regarding racism. They offer nothing for the poorer people they claim to champion and will walk all over those who vote for them in a heartbeat.
    UKIP attract racists like a steaming pile of horse much attracts flies on a hot summers day. The sooner this party is shown up for what it is and relegated to the sidelines the better it will be for the majority of the country who do not blame every ill on immigrants.

and you are never going to achieve this if all you can do is cry 'racist' ;-)
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    DadDancer wrote: »
    We have been over this before :blush:. Now please read their polices and then maybe try and construct a reasoned argument against them without crying 'racist' :

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people
    And which change with the wind direction. When was the 'EU immigrants can stay' policy written for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind it's a foregone conclusion, I can't imagine Central Office for either party will be staying up all night worrying.
    It's hardly groundbreaking stuff really - minor opposition party wins seat near end of Parliament with virtually no policies. Whoopie doo
    What's funny is that UKIP will dance and prance about like Gollum as if it's the coming of a new era, when they know perfectly well that they're not going to have any power after the next election, just about 8-11 seats and no future as the EU question will be resolved without them.

The only interesting bit of the whole evening will be the majority - meaningless as it will be.
    Enjoy the party kids - it's a short one :p

Hey let's all just carry on voting Con-Lab- Lib then.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member

and you are never going to achieve this if all you can do is cry 'racist' ;-)

Not sure I did cry racist. If you think that UKIP does not attract racists then that is your opinion but IMO they are a magnet for racists.
    IMO I won't have to do very much as with the increased scrutiny of UKIP they will self destruct and let down the people who swallowed their populist guff.
    Get this clear. I am not calling UKIP a racist party but I am saying that they appeal to racists and seem happy to do so.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very Right wing, xenophobic party like UKIP need no smearing - they do it to themselves quite nicely, thank you.

I present exhibit A
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And which change with the wind direction. When was the 'EU immigrants can stay' policy written for example.

They are far more clear and consistent policies than the other parties and you can expect a relatively new party to make a few tweaks here and there. They are still evolving and It's what the people want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's also funny is that people like you will spend an inordinate amount of time on here smearing and denigrating them - given that's its only " minor opposition party wins seat near end of Parliament with virtually no policies"
    Why's that?[/QUOTE]

Cannot answer for anyone else but IMO UKIP are dangerous and are treading a fine line regarding racism. They offer nothing for the poorer people they claim to champion and will walk all over those who vote for them in a heartbeat.
    UKIP attract racists like a steaming pile of horse much attracts flies on a hot summers day. The sooner this party is shown up for what it is and relegated to the sidelines the better it will be for the majority of the country who do not blame every ill on immigrants.

Sounds very much like what Labour have been doing for years.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    I present exhibit A

Eh? You deny UKIP are very Right wing and xenophobic?

Seriously?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very Right wing, xenophobic party like UKIP need no smearing - they do it to themselves quite nicely, thank you.

I think you're saying your witterings on UKIP are superfluous.
  • Options
    Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously?

Of course UKIP aren't xenophobic. There is nothing xenophobic about wanting to leave the the EU and put the extremely expensive membership fee to much better use, or to want every UK government to be able to control both the number and quality of would be immigrants.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    They are far more clear and consistent policies than the other parties and you can expect a relatively new party to make a few tweaks here and there. They are still evolving and It's what the people want.

Can't recall the clamour from kippers to let immigrants stay. To say that this is a tweak when one of the two core beliefs of ukip is getting did of foreigners seems to be stretching the meaning of tweak - but then Farage is an experienced politician with a long history of rewriting history
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously?

Who says they are?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Can't recall the clamour from kippers to let immigrants stay. To say that this is a tweak when one of the two core beliefs of ukip is getting did of foreigners seems to be stretching the meaning of tweak - but then Farage is an experienced politician with a long history of rewriting history

You can bet your last dollar there was no clamour for that to happen. Once the message gets through to some prospective UKIP voters that there will not be a mass clear out of immigrants then they will skulk back to the BNP.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww. Sour grapes or what from the anti-brigade today. I wonder why. :p

All the very best to Mark Reckless today. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is Australia very right wing and xenophobic for having a points system regarding immigration? Or Canada even?

Answer: No

And neither is UKIP for wanting to advocate the same type of system in the UK as above countries.

In fact, UKIP are anti-open door immigration from the EU and not anti-immigration.

But I'm sure the media will be rubbing their hands with glee that their smear tactics against UKIP are having the desired effect on some people in our country. Many others, however, can see right through their spin and lies.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    It is in context. You may not know the programme, but they never do anything but discuss PMQs in that slot. It's like the BBC suddenly putting out anti-UKIP propaganda during Eastenders. They never do it there. All of a sudden: forget PMQs, let's just stick it to UKIP. Not a word about PMQs.

If you're familiar with the show, it stuck out a mile. Never saw anything like it. And the day before a bi election where UKIP absolutely must be opposed at all costs?

Hardly even subtle. Nick Robinson had evidently made clear that in today's show he was going after UKIP. It's all good, though - tomorrow he's going to look soooooooo silly.

Plan A of shouting "racist" has failed. They don't even have a Plan B since A has always worked. Now they've got to think, and also convince folk outside their peer clique. Not going to happen in 24 hours.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find bizarre is not only the very odd reaction from a section of the audience who all burst into laughter at the same time.. almost as if they were waiting for him to fall into a trap. But the way the BBC's Political Editor has jumped on this one single answer and decided to use it as a platform to effectively accuse UKIP of various things such as not knowing immigration policy and not being clear about NHS policy the day before a by election.

I listened over it three times as I couldn't understand the fuss. I was also mindful that the BBC was almost certainly over-egging as usual, but I assumed there would be some substance. It tuned out the key to the explosion of hissing was, rather bizarrely, the reference to "looking favourably" at current residence. I wasn't much clearer - why is this pejorative? It seems a positive, particularly in light of the fuller explanation given subsequently.

The BBC then went on the argument that if you look "favourably" at one you must therefore look "unfavourably" at another, implying that some immigrant residents would be at risk. This is a complete non-sequitur. If a boss hears that an employee is seeking permission for an office party and he says he'll "look favourably" at the proposals, this doesn't mean he must look "unfavourably" at something else. Favourable consideration of one thing doesn't require unfavourable consideration of another. There is zero correlation. You can look favourably on all things, as is the case here.

Another BBC waste of time. Waste of their time in running yet another smear attempt that was a failure from the off, and a waste of the time of anyone who actually bothered to look at what they were up to, ie. mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind it's a foregone conclusion, I can't imagine Central Office for either party will be staying up all night worrying.

Do you seriously believe that regarding the Tory Party? When David Cameron vowed to "throw the kitchen sink" into holding on to the seat in Rochester and Strood; as well as ordering his ministers to canvas there at least five times during the by-election campaign? And let's not forget his witch hunt in sniffing out potential UKIP defectors from within his own party.

Of course, David Cameron will inevitably play down his defeat tomorrow, in front of the cameras, with the usual spiel; but I bet he will be worried in private - mainly for his own survival as leader of his party.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Tories lose Rochester they just might beg UKIP for some pre election deal.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    If the Tories lose Rochester they just might beg UKIP for some pre election deal.

To stir it up, all Farage has to say to that is 'UKIP will not enter into any deal with the Conservative party so long as David Cameron is party leader, or on his replacement any of the existing front benchers become party leader'.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Seriously?

Left and right wing are highly simplistic terms and mean little. The divide is artificial these days - some of us want more sophisticated ideas of what's best for the UK not whats left or right.

As for xenophobia - I would regard UKIPs immigration policy as being fair and treating all non UK citizens equally. The other parties place almost exclusively white Europeans from the EU above other nationalities. Quality - Indian doctors not Slovakian car washers - not quantity - unlimited immigration but only for white Europeans is what UKIP seek. It's the other parties whose immigration policies are arguably racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So UKIP's policy (at this moment) is to permit existing residents from the EU to stay in the UK following us leaving the EU? In the event of that happening, might it not encourage a flood of immigrants to arrive from other EU countries before the pull-out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So UKIP's policy (at this moment) is to permit existing residents from the EU to stay in the UK following us leaving the EU? In the event of that happening, might it not encourage a flood of immigrants to arrive from other EU countries before the pull-out?

Possibly, but we can blame Labour and the Tories for that, for presiding over an anyone can come open door policy for many years.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the event of the UK leaving, it would be under a Tory administration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    In the event of the UK leaving, it would be under a Tory administration.

no chance. UKIP is the only real hope of a referendum. Only a mug would believe Cameron and co's pledges.