Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    dtd222dtd222 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pretty disappointed by the high number of posts believing SBS wasn't trying very hard. From the press conference, it sounded like SBS got the go ahead only shortly before publicly announcing Australia's participation. In that one month window, SBS has done all they can. While Guy Sebastian may not be the biggest Australian name on a global stage, one would be hard pressed not to consider him Australia's favorite singer of the last 15 years. Below is some of the chart successes of Australian artists on the Australian charts

Kylie Minogue: 10 #1s, 22 top 10 hits, and 11 top 10 albums
    Guy Sebastian: 8 #1s, 14 top 10 hits, and 8 top 10 albums
    The Veronicas: 2 #1s, 9 top 10 hits, and 3 #2 albums
    Savage Garden: 2 #1s, 6 top 10 hits, and 2 #1 albums
    Jessica Mauboy: 1 #1, 8 top 10 hits, 3 top 10 albums
    5 Seconds of Summer: 1 #1, 3 top 10 hits, and a #1 album
    Samantha Jade: 1 #1, 2 top 10 hits, and a top 5 album
    Dami Im: 1 #1 and 2 top 10 albums
    Sia: 2 top 5 hits and 2 top 5 albums
    Gotye: 1 #1 and a #1 album
    Sheppard: 1 #1 and a top 5 album

Guy Sebastian also received positive critiques at World Idol, although only finished 7th out of 10. Plus everyone's favorite Pete Waterman makes an appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo9LK3-D1y0

(Side note. I love World Idol and it introduced me to Eurovision).

And this is probably my favorite song of his, "All I Need is You"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kvqEAVvc0Q

So glad he ditched the fro though!
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    Ann's song isnt going anywhere and she really reminds me of Lena ( which is a bad thing ).
    Happy that she will compete in Vienna though, Andreas looks extra creepy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dtd222 wrote: »
    I was pretty disappointed by the high number of posts believing SBS wasn't trying very hard. From the press conference, it sounded like SBS got the go ahead only shortly before publicly announcing Australia's participation. In that one month window, SBS has done all they can. While Guy Sebastian may not be the biggest Australian name on a global stage, one would be hard pressed not to consider him Australia's favorite singer of the last 15 years. Below is some of the chart successes of Australian artists on the Australian charts

Kylie Minogue: 10 #1s, 22 top 10 hits, and 11 top 10 albums
    Guy Sebastian: 8 #1s, 14 top 10 hits, and 8 top 10 albums
    The Veronicas: 2 #1s, 9 top 10 hits, and 3 #2 albums
    Savage Garden: 2 #1s, 6 top 10 hits, and 2 #1 albums
    Jessica Mauboy: 1 #1, 8 top 10 hits, 3 top 10 albums
    5 Seconds of Summer: 1 #1, 3 top 10 hits, and a #1 album
    Samantha Jade: 1 #1, 2 top 10 hits, and a top 5 album
    Dami Im: 1 #1 and 2 top 10 albums
    Sia: 2 top 5 hits and 2 top 5 albums
    Gotye: 1 #1 and a #1 album
    Sheppard: 1 #1 and a top 5 album

Guy Sebastian also received positive critiques at World Idol, although only finished 7th out of 10. Plus everyone's favorite Pete Waterman makes an appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo9LK3-D1y0

(Side note. I love World Idol and it introduced me to Eurovision).

And this is probably my favorite song of his, "All I Need is You"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kvqEAVvc0Q

So glad he ditched the fro though!

He is a great performer and his vocals are strong. Dont like any of his songs, apart from Battle Scars!
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Oh wait...
    Jesse Creme @jessecreme · 1h 1 hour ago
    The 10 second clip I heard may NOT be the entry you all wished for. It was my insider friends's favourite, tho. #Eurovision #FunkyEldrine

I think it means they actually don't know anything. Really wouldn't surprise me if they're covering their arse before the neither funky nor Eldrine entry is revealed tomorrow.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I really think another bad placing for us in May will soon spell the end of British Participation in Eurovision at least under the BBC. The rumoured entrant I cant see being sung live very well at all nor standing out. With License fee talks coming soon would they risk taking part in a contest which the public now mostly hate and talk about in racist terms with very little media support left. Conchita's win has furthered damaged the reputation of the contest among the mainstream I fell.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreekFan wrote: »
    More drama: apparently the german presenter said that its ok for Australians to compete even if they dont belong to Europe because Greeks dont belong to Europe and are in the contest every year! Everyone's getting wild about it in here... #sweetgermangirl
    Really? :o I didn't notice the presenter saying that (and I know some German)...

Anyway, that'd be a stupid thing to say, as Greece undoubtedly is in Europe, unlike countries such as Israel and Azerbaijan, not that I grudge them participation in any way (and Israel is one of my all-time favourite ESC countries) ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont have high hopes for UK. Last year's entry was pretty decent though. I had a feeling that Molly was going to win when the song started, but then I noticed the feathers #not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Really? :o I didn't notice the presenter saying that (and I know some German)...

Anyway, that'd be a stupid thing to say, as Greece undoubtedly is in Europe, unlike countries such as Israel and Azerbaijan, not that I grudge them participation in any way (and Israel is one of my all-time favourite ESC countries) ...

I guess it was a " joke " about the possibility of Greece exiting the eurozone if things dont go as planned

*Azerbaijan is my fav ESC country right now, among with Sweden :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A monster like me is awesome. One of my fav ESC video clips already. I doubt they will be able to make the same atmosphere on the stage though.

So many jury-friendly songs this year! Its like everyone's trying quality after seeing what juries did to poor Poland last year :') . ESC's losing its fun part more and more coz of the 50-50 system ( or maybe its coincidental and I am overreacting - I am usually a ballad lover anyway :D )
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreekFan wrote: »
    I guess it was a " joke " about the possibility of Greece exiting the eurozone if things dont go as planned
    Maybe, but eurozone isn't the same as Europe, like people in the UK know very well ;)
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but eurozone isn't the same as Europe, like people in the UK know very well ;)

I think she said the EU. Gosh, this joke is being scrambled. It's like translation whispers. I'm sure the Germans have an interesting attitude of Greece's place in the EU.
  • Options
    Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I think she said the EU. Gosh, this joke is being scrambled. It's like translation whispers. I'm sure the Germans have an interesting attitude of Greece's place in the EU.

Bet the Swiss and Norwegians have an opinion on that too ;-)
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Germany and Serbia make up my Top 5 right now.

Pretty much my top 5 too! Only replace Serbia with the Netherlands and move Serbia way down towards the bottom. (So much for uniting for forum!) :blush:
  • Options
    kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    next year no nf for germany. i bet they just pick someone.
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    I think they are mostly my Top 5 too, spooky :D. I really like Malta too :blush: and Spain!

And just when you think it's safe to go to bed:

@tchuqo: The account which leaked Molly is telling me that my suspected Golden Five by Wonder Villains is the uk entry. Kill me now. #eurovision

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=f1cI627G7FE

Well, it will certainly stand out. It's quite 'funky' and has plenty of hooks (if that's what you can call the bababbabadadadada's :confused:) but her voice grates on me. Will be a contrast to the moody ballads though. Still, hope it's something stronger! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my bottom 3
    Finland
    Germany
    whatever Portugal sends
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my bottom 3
    Finland
    Germany
    whatever Portugal sends

:D Kobi's got her mind made up even before they choose a winner. I'm hoping it's the corpse myself. :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Dont get me wrong I love Europe and europeans but I would like to leave the EU. Its a mess. Or go back to common market trade status only.>:(
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "the account which leaked Molly"

I could be wrong, but wasn't it Molly's aunt or a family friend? Remember? On Twitter, we KNEW the performance was going to take place that night as OGAE members were invited, then all of a sudden, Molly's aunt/family friend/whatever started posting "Off to Molly's secret gig!"

And then she started yelling at everyone for leaking Molly, even though it was HER who leaked it first :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    [/B]

:D Kobi's got her mind made up even before they choose a winner. I'm hoping it's the corpse myself. :o:D

Extra points if its Dame Maggie :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    Well, it will certainly stand out. It's quite 'funky' and has plenty of hooks (if that's what you can call the bababbabadadadada's :confused:) but her voice grates on me. Will be a contrast to the moody ballads though. Still, hope it's something stronger! :)

I like that a lot...... but i feel it needs to be something stronger. British version of Tatu. :D
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I really think another bad placing for us in May will soon spell the end of British Participation in Eurovision at least under the BBC. The rumoured entrant I cant see being sung live very well at all nor standing out. With License fee talks coming soon would they risk taking part in a contest which the public now mostly hate and talk about in racist terms with very little media support left. Conchita's win has furthered damaged the reputation of the contest among the mainstream I fell.

Ratings 2014 - 8.79m (41.9%) : peak 10.60m (55.8%) consolidated 8.94 million (39.9%)

End of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    "the account which leaked Molly"

I could be wrong, but wasn't it Molly's aunt or a family friend? Remember? On Twitter, we KNEW the performance was going to take place that night as OGAE members were invited, then all of a sudden, Molly's aunt/family friend/whatever started posting "Off to Molly's secret gig!"

And then she started yelling at everyone for leaking Molly, even though it was HER who leaked it first :D

I remember seeing that somewhere! She casually put her Twitter handle into a post with 'Shhh' off to a gig or something, then started yelling for 'spoiling the surprise'. I wonder if Molly found out that it was her own dippy relative rofl. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Last year they had international song writers, this year it was songwriters from Portugal only :(

Next year just let the singers find their own songs to submit, it can't be that hard

They should write their own instead of the old fossils sat down the front who wrote all these. They could barely stand when introduced the ther night. Just dire. If they dont do something next year they may as well save their money and not takle part. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    contejas wrote: »
    You or Simone...:confused:

lol simone has at least 35 years on me :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.