An amateur here but ...can anyone beat Italy?

StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone.
I'm not a eurovision expert but I came across the Italian entry on youtube. Wow. Musically faultless with an incredible climax. As long as the boys voices are steady and they avoid a cheesy wooden delivery, surely this is a world class song and will win?

..prove me wrong, euro fans!

my all time fave euro song is Iceland a few years ago, "is it true"? I think it was called. Beautiful song, astonishingly simple and powerful with really emotional icy blue visuals, made me weep,I had to watch it over and over. But it came second to an overrated bit of folky fiddling by a dark haired boy.

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment I would say no they have won but will 18 songs to go
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, there are plenty of songs than can beat Italy...
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Of course, there are plenty of songs than can beat Italy...

Who is your favourite so far?
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lithuania shall prevail and bring us to Vilnius next year!
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see Italy winning personally. I think it will
    Be like last year where we have no real idea until the semis have been done and dusted.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Italy goes the way of Mižerja in order to avenge Nek! I don't think I'd look forward to a contest hosted by Italy. They send good songs but I feel like they don't actually care about Eurovision.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see it winning at all, popera just doesn't do well with televoters as Amaury Vassilli found out. Right now there's at least 3 songs I'd put above it in terms of winning potential (Estonia, Spain and Slovenia). And then add 2 more if Norway pick Monster and Sweden pick Måns.
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slovenia!!! :D
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    I can't see Italy winning personally. I think it will
    Be like last year where we have no real idea until the semis have been done and dusted.

I totally agree and I'm grateful for it - it's so much more fun to watch when you're not sure which way the leaderboard is going to go.

Personally I do not like the Italian entry at all, it's not my thing. Right now I see Lithuania as the dark horse - it stands out for me as being such a sweet, joyful song with a fun performance in a year where the majority of entries so far are either angsty, dramatic or sad. Also loving Estonia and Slovenia, and Ireland has a certain charm in how natural it is. But that's just my opinion! Anything could happen before May!
  • thengp12thengp12 Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    With any luck the UK could steamroll through and win

Could it happen? I dont know. Sweden (who ate quite consistent ) are yet to reveal
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thengp12 wrote: »
    With any luck the UK could steamroll through and win

Could it happen? I dont know. Sweden (who ate quite consistent ) are yet to reveal

We virtually know the Swedish representative Hero's by Mans
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    We virtually know the Swedish representative Hero's by Mans

Pretty much. He'll clean up on the televote and the juries won't hinder him. Bit boring having such an obvious result. Probably another top 5 at Eurovision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, if Måns does win Melfest and he's allowed to recreate that staging in Vienna I can see Sweden being very hard to beat this year. It would be like the sand artist effect for Ukraine a few years ago, only with a far better song.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very beatable IMO. It is extremely bland, middle of the road pseudo operatic fare and could have been written 20 years ago.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is your favourite so far?
    Estonia and Spain seem to have most winning potential IMO :) But I agree with others that it's impossible to say until the actual Eurovision week, and even then it's more interesting if things are all open...
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's guaranteed to win but it had all the elements to do very, very well.

It's not a cool song, but it has 3 young boys singing in an operatic style (Britain went mad for something like this on Britain's got talent), so regardless of the song, people will vote because of that aspect. The little one's red glasses will be all over twitter and that will gain some votes. The song itself is quite good, has a bit of a kick to it and is sung well. Not to mention the fact that this is in an outsider's opinion VERY ITALIAN in style, even if any young Italian hates it because it's stereotypical and not representative of Italy's music scene at the moment. For example I haven't seen this songplayed on any of the musi channels, but a lot of the other San Remo acts are being played. It's not considered cool or quality in Italy by any means but when has that ever stopped a song from winning Eurovision. Alexander with Fairytale for Norway, anyone?
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Italy will win. I like the song, but classical style hasnt tended to do amazingly in the past.

At this early stage, I actually quite like Iceland's pop number. But then it all changes when I see the performances and hear them all properly.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it that much and I don't understand the link you make between liking a song and thinking it will win. Not that winning is that important anyway, plenty of boring songs have won.
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I find Italy quite unbearable and am not seeing the craze over it.

Estonia and Denmark are my faves so far.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It is very beatable IMO. It is extremely bland, middle of the road pseudo operatic fare and could have been written 20 years ago.

Try 30 years it was written in the 1980s apparently yet so was Norway 2008
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Italy will prove to be extremely difficult to beat.
    The song and stile of singing is not to every ones taste but non the less it is powerfully delivered with excellent vocals!
    From a voting point of view, I suspect Il Volo who are known as artists across the globe and are representing Italy are going to pick up a lot of votes, potentially I can see a record points haul...
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, if Måns does win Melfest and he's allowed to recreate that staging in Vienna I can see Sweden being very hard to beat this year. It would be like the sand artist effect for Ukraine a few years ago, only with a far better song.

I hope not, tbh. Whilst the staging is obviously excellent the song for me is a let down.

To answer the OP, I think Italy is very beatable. I think it will probably be this years surprise flop.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try 30 years it was written in the 1980s apparently yet so was Norway 2008

It certainly sounds like it. You would think that after the Amaury fiasco in 2011 people would wise up that pop opera is not necessarily a good idea for winning the Contest. It wouldn't surprise me if this song misses the top 10, never mind not winning......this is Eurovision, not an episode of Britain's Got Talent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It certainly sounds like it. You would think that after the Amaury fiasco in 2011 people would wise up that pop opera is not necessarily a good idea for winning the Contest. It wouldn't surprise me if this song misses the top 10, never mind not winning......this is Eurovision, not an episode of Britain's Got Talent.

Agreed. Popera has never managed a top 10 placing in Eurovision as far as I can remember, though admittedly this is probably the best example of the genre we've had at the contest.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's really unfair to compare the french popera fiasco with Italy. France didn't do badly because of the song, they did badly because he sang the entire song out of key, knew it, didn't correct it, and looked terrified. It was utterly painful (although a bit funny) to watch after the huge hype of being favourite. I think Italy is a potential winner, plus Estonia and Slovenia. Possibly even Malta if they tighten it up a bit. I don't get the fascination with Spain, I'd be very surprised if it finishes top 10.