Options

Is Matt Smith Already Your Favourite Dr??

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
Or is it too soon to make those kinds of statements?

Judging by The Eleventh Hour, he's now my favourite Dr since Tom Baker and certainly eclipses CBaker, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston and Tennant. Davison I liked so I'm not sure whether Smith is much better than him.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    He's my favourite doctor ever already... I was going off Doctor Who abit, and now I just love it again :D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm one of those people whose first Doctor I ever watched is my Doctor so Davison will always be my favourite no matter who else plays The Doctor. However, I'd put Matt Smith up there in my top five or six Doctors which already includes Tennant, Tom Baker, Troughton and McGann so he's in good company and he's a very good Doctor so far from what I've seen!:D
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is it too soon to make those kinds of statements?

Judging by The Eleventh Hour, he's now my favourite Dr since Tom Baker and certainly eclipses CBaker, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston and Tennant. Davison I liked so I'm not sure whether Smith is much better than him.

I enjoyed TEH alot - but ask the question again in 14 years when a little perspective and a lot of episodes and another Doctor or two have gone under the bridge :)
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Eleventh Hour is my favourite First Story since the reboot. Much as I enjoyed Rose, it was more about Rose than the Doctor, as was The Christmas Invasion.

The Eleventh Hour managed to concentrate on the Doctor's regeneration, as well as introduce Amy and tell a decent story.

Some of the classic series regeneration episodes were clunkers - especially The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved David Tenant but I'm also a huge fan of Tom Baker. I'm not sure about Matt Smith yet, he was brilliant to say it was only his first episode but I still think it's early days.

From my "Doctor Who Mad" 8 year old sons point of view, he is the best, he thinks he's really funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt think I would like him, but having watched it I have changed my mind and put my initial reluctance down to being such a huge Tennant fan, not just of his Dr Who!
    I think Tennant will remain my favourite, but I also think Matt Smith is going to bring something great to the role - I found him refreshing.

My Doctor growing up was Peter Davison so he will always hold a special place in my heart.

As long as the stories are great, and you have a great Doctor (lets face it, there have been one or two horrors!) it doesnt have to be your favourite Doctor for you to get just as much enjoyment out of the show.

Also, I do think overall that Moffatt is a better writer than Russell T. All the episodes that have become favourites of mine in the new Who have been penned by Moffatt, so I am looking forward greatly to the future eps.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I think it's a bit soon to go that far. But, it was probably the best start a new Doctor has had, and if he keeps it up then he may very well become my favourite Doctor :)

But lets not forget how much Doctors can change, compare The Christmas Invasion to The Waters of Mars... so let's not jump the gun just yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    David Tennant will always be my Doctor, but I'm loving the way Matt is taking the role.
  • Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    He is certainly my favourite Dr after the first episode. If he (and the stories) continue like this then he will certainly eclipse my Dr, (Tom Baker).

I would add that I loved DT, but REALLY like MS after about 5 seconds.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaran-j wrote: »
    David Tennant will always be my Doctor, but I'm loving the way Matt is taking the role.

That's what I've maintained... until I saw TEH. I'm keeping an open mind til the end of the season. But Tennant is still my Doctor, however Matt Smith is doing all the right things to steal that privilege :p
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I think it's a bit soon to go that far. But, it was probably the best start a new Doctor has had, and if he keeps it up then he may very well become my favourite Doctor :)

But lets not forget how much Doctors can change, compare The Christmas Invasion to The Waters of Mars... so let's not jump the gun just yet.

Oh, fun game! Time and the Rani to The Curse of Fenric, anyone?
  • Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    That's what I've maintained... until I saw TEH. I'm keeping an open mind til the end of the season. But Tennant is still my Doctor, however Matt Smith is doing all the right things to steal that privilege :p

David Tennnat is obviously a lot of people's ****ing doctor XD
  • Options
    wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love him so far. I HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It feels better without the smugness and cockiness of DT :)
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    He's already my favourite Doctor from the new series. Not a fan of DT, and CE was a bit too serious for me.

But Tom Baker is still my Doctor, I don't know if MS could ever replace him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After one episode of course he's not, he's got a long way to go before he beats David and John.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved MS straight away but it is a tad too soon to be juding. I mean Tennant's Doctor was very different in series 2; he became much darker in later series (and alot better imo as he settled into his role smoothly).
    But yeah MS is a very big contender. He's definately shut up a good proportion of his critics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Pleasantly surprised by him so far ... well apart from the Teenage Georgraphy teacher look clothes and the "Geronimo" catchphrase. He's made a good start and from my own personal view point well ahead of the likes of Eccleston, Colin Baker (oh god ....) and Peter Davison

Trailers for the rest of the series is whetting my appetitie - if the series lives up to the trailers then its going a must watch for the next 13 weeks. Still think your own personal Doctor is the one you saw on TV as a kid ... so that makes mine Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Liked David Tennant but was getting tired of his pantomine approach at times.

Looking forward to seeing Matt's "dark doctor" side in future episodes. Impressed by Karen Gillan too but please no more "Doctor I lurrvvvvve you" stuff (yes Rose I mean you ...) ... not thrilled about the whole River Song plot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to go over the top after just one episode, but I really, really like him so far :p I think a fair bit of that might be due to better writing from Moffat too - I found it more absorbing than the series 2 and 3 openers. Feeling pretty optimistic about the next 12 episodes! :)
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Oh, fun game! Time and the Rani to The Curse of Fenric, anyone?

Oh I know what you mean, Sylv started so well didnt he, and just went downhill... the show went all serious, deep, well written, well acted, and dramatic ;):p Why couldnt we have more stupid romps starring Kate O'Mara? :D
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    from first episode he has good chance of tieing with david for me. To beat him for me he would have to get some strong storylines and have few series. But i was not expecting him to be as good as he was he really did surprise me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Not quite, I'm still tipped slightly towards Ten, although during the middle of his time, mainly. Didn't like him as much recently, in fact, he got on my nerves a bit.

But give him a few episodes, and Matt Smith is going to be up there, definitely. :]
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Baker is still 'my Doctor' but I think Mr Smith is certainly off to a flyer and may well be up there with Mr Baker.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching "Earthshock" yesterday and although it had been broadcast that Adric was leaving, the title of the episode gave nothing away and certainly his death was one of the big shocks in DW history -

- flashforward to 2010: DT'S Doctor tenure was announced as over nearly two years ago at the NTA Ceremony while he was doing "Hamlet" (I believe it was during the Interval) and from that moment onwards we were all actively encouraged to expect DT'S demise but also speculate on his replacement and then last Easter we were told in a BBC special that Matt Smith would take over...an entire of year of speculation then ensued unprecedented in DW history over Exec Producer changes, stories, companion....the change to HD compounded...

...so by the time The End of Time was broadcast, so many people had been forced into anticipation of what was next (which is the way we live our lives today - look forward, forget about today) coupled with the lack of a proper series in 2009, meant that we were only really hoping to get the regeneration done and dusted so we could see the new logo, titles, hear the new theme, see the new doc...

...four months later...The Eleventh Hour begins...and who could be forgiven for being swept up in a tide of relief that all is well with this great series...

...but to be talking favourite Doctors, who's the better writer, whether SM will enjoy let alone succeed at being the Execeutive Producer given he is a writer and wordsmith first and foremost just strikes me as really rather silly...

...let's just wait and see because the more pressure so-called "fans" pile on, the less enjoyable the whole experience becomes...
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    He's not a bad lad when it comes to acting,but he is one odd looking fu##er...the twatty/nerdy clothes don't help much either..