*Gulp* I preferred Martha over Rose..

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must quite literally be wearing Rose-Tinted glasses! I don't really see that much change in Rose's character between series 1 and 2 but I see everyone else has.....mmmmmm!!!:D:D

Personally I don't see much change either....she increases her smugness up a level....but then so does the Doctor...but it has never annoyed me, as it was done on purpose, it was the story arc. If they had decided to increase the smugness, and Rose had stayed for series 3, I would have hated it. But their smugness, came to an end in Doomsday, so it works for me.
  • KiskinKiskin Posts: 6,280
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I liked Martha as well. The unrequited love aspect of her story arc is not that unusual in new Who, it's been touched on with Amy and the Doc this season and in many ways Roses own love story was not resolved, so it was a theme. Also even when with Catherine Tate Tennants Doctor was very much a 'handsome leading man', and pairing him with any attractive young woman exacerbated that. I always thought that David and Freema looked looked gorgeous together, Smith and Jones looked like a the start of some daft romantic comedy.

So, no none of that really bothered me, the the biggest problem was the shadow of Rose over the Martha's tenure. That's the aspect which did her and the Doc at the time the biggest disservice IMO. I genuinely liked Rose and think that she has been a good character but her exit and her influence over the show afterwards was a bit clumsily handled and did Martha and even more annoyingly, the Doctor no favours. One of the small things which I love about the new series (and there are many big things) is the certain knowledge that there will be no bloomin mournful Rose references.

So, yeah Martha was a good character who was in some great stories. I love series three.

Great post, completely agree! :) I loved series three but hated the doctor moping about because of rose! really irritated the hell out of me!

Martha I LOVED! I thought she was a great assistant, feisty and held her own but showed a softer relatable side with her feelings for the doctor.

I don't dislike any of the assistants, thought they were all great in their own way (although of course, series 2 and 4 rose was erm, yeh :o).
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see much change either....she increases her smugness up a level....but then so does the Doctor...but it has never annoyed me, as it was done on purpose, it was the story arc. If they had decided to increase the smugness, and Rose had stayed for series 3, I would have hated it. But their smugness, came to an end in Doomsday, so it works for me.

I think it was a good thing Rose went after two seasons. Not sure how much further they could have taken the romance thing and the show needed a bit of freshing up in the same way as it has been done now. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I liked Martha as well. The unrequited love aspect of her story arc is not that unusual in new Who, it's been touched on with Amy and the Doc this season and in many ways Roses own love story was not resolved, so it was a theme. Also even when with Catherine Tate Tennants Doctor was very much a 'handsome leading man', and pairing him with any attractive young woman exacerbated that. I always thought that David and Freema looked looked gorgeous together, Smith and Jones looked like a the start of some daft romantic comedy.

So, no none of that really bothered me, the the biggest problem was the shadow of Rose over the Martha's tenure. That's the aspect which did her and the Doc at the time the biggest disservice IMO. I genuinely liked Rose and think that she has been a good character but her exit and her influence over the show afterwards was a bit clumsily handled and did Martha and even more annoyingly, the Doctor no favours. One of the small things which I love about the new series (and there are many big things) is the certain knowledge that there will be no bloomin mournful Rose references.

So, yeah Martha was a good character who was in some great stories. I love series three.

I personally feel that there was a development of this mourning that the Doctor did for Rose. Yes when series three started, he was mourning her....but by episode 6, he had come to accept Martha as a companion, didn't take Martha on rebound trips, and didn't really mention Rose, except for when he was Human....(but then he also drew Slitheen as well in that Journal so come up with your own conclusion there;)) and when Jack came face to face with him, which then he was obviously going to mention Rose.
    The in series 4...he talked to Donna a lot about Martha as well, as we saw in PIC, Rose was mentioned by Donna, and obviously she made an appearance too...but then so did Martha in three episodes later. But look at the way the Doctor mentions Rose in Midnight to the way he talks about her in the Shakespeare Code....its definitely a sign that he has moved on. But then when Donna has gone, he references her to Jackson, he talks about her to Christina, he remembers the Pompeii incident when on Mars...and agrees with Wilf that Donna would make him smile again in the EOT.

All this I feel comes from the stuff that happend in School Reunion, and the idea that he didn't ever mention his best friend that was once Sarah Jane, once she left. Maybe after that he decided he will not forget his companions that easily.

And obviously at some point the Doctor, wether that be Eleven, or another incarnation....will one day tell River about Donna too.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the overall stroy arc affected my opinion of Rose in series 2. The same kind of thing made it very hard to like Martha in series 3. In both cases the characters were good, but would've been better without the love plotline that ran throughout series 2 and 3. Rose was undoubtably better in series 1 - where her affection of Nine appeared more platonic (to such an extent that Nine got jealous of Mickey, which was something I disliked of that Doctor) - and Martha improved later in series 3 where she decided that, although she did love him it was never going to be returned.

I guess Rose and Martha are around the same for me in regards to being a companion. Amy and Donna are my joint favourites, both bring something interesting and deeper to the role which I enjoy.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arpie wrote: »
    Pah, didn't work for me but then I have never fancied David Tennant.

It's not about the tenth Doctor. The caring about someone more than or at least in a different way from the way that person cares back for you is something I think alot of people can relate to, and also the being young and a little starry eyed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was a good thing Rose went after two seasons. Not sure how much further they could have taken the romance thing and the show needed a bit of freshing up in the same way as it has been done now. :D

I don't think it could have carried on for more than two series either...although I do believe that if she had stayed, they wouldn't have made them as smug with each other as they were. So we would have seen the very subtle layers of "romance that we saw in series 1, or that we are now seeing in the new series....the idea that that there is something there, but we will not mention it and just stay freinds. But the fact that Billie was leaving, they made the arc of both of them thinking that they were going to be with each other forvever. Despite Sarah Jane being a sign that it can't always be like that.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must quite literally be wearing Rose-Tinted glasses! I don't really see that much change in Rose's character between series 1 and 2 but I see everyone else has.....mmmmmm!!!:D:D

Me neither! I never saw any difference at all.