Options

Google X-Phone by Motorola

Comments

• Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a486088/motorola-announces-moto-x-smartphone.html

Some details about the Moto X. Not really grabbing me, though full specs not really revealed so will wait and see what's inside. Don't think it's going to be the device it was hyped up to be earlier in the year with their insistance that it is going to be low cost, but they are calling it a flag ship? So where exactly is it going to fit in?.

Though battery life will likely be better than any phone out there at the moment,
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    it is going to be low cost, but they are calling it a flag ship? So where exactly is it going to fit in?.

Think Nexus pricing. Google (and ergo Motorola) isn't bothered about making money on handsets, its bothered about putting Android devices in people's hands.

My upgrade is due this summer, but I'd need to hear a lot more info about the X phone to hang on for it....
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently this device has two onboard processors as part of some kind of system to enhance the battery life of the device.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Bigger battery would be welcomed. I'm just not sure how well Motorola can put this together on the hardware front.

same as anyone.

buy in and licence the bits they don't already have. get it built in china.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    same as anyone.

buy in and licence the bits they don't already have. get it built in china.

Supposedly all American built at least for the Americans
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alleged specs have leaked for Google's Motorola X, seem particularly meh.

- Android 4.2.2 Jellybean
    - 720 display
    - 1.7GHz dual-core Krait CPU
    - 2GB RAM
    - 16GB internal storage
    - No info on memory card slot
    - 10MP camera
    - 2MP front-facing camera

This could all be a load of bull, but nothing to get excited about it seems.

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_motorola_x_smartphone_specs_leak_packs_10mp_camera-news-6224.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/345761593876938753

@evleaks who have been known to be fairly reliable

Motorola moto x:

1.7GHz dual-core MSM8960 Pro, 720p, 2GB/16GB, 10MP/2MP, Android 4.2.2

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the specs are true, the phone will be mid-range at least. Nothing stands out for me whatsoever.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It just means this is a mid range phone. Who knows it might only cost 100 quid.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a decent LTE phone.

Yes, a 720p screen is classed as midrange now
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be sold at a knockdown price on Google play then. Less than the nexus 4. So could be a decent SIM free offering without any bells and whistles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pic of the alleged Motorola X phone has been released into the wild. It's made its way to FFC for testing. What's interesting about the phone is that focus will be on the accompanying features rather than the hardware itself.

1st August seems to be the day it will be unveiled.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mysterious-Motorola-X-phone-picture-pops-up-testing-as-the-XT1056-on-Sprints-LTE_id44519
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Given that, should the new info prove correct, this isn't in any way the super phone it was rumoured to be, I think keen pricing will be the order of the day here (only problem being if it IS made in the good old Us of A I can't see it being that cheap).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many secrets and rumours about the Moto X phone which should be revealed in the not too distant future judging by all the leaks i've read today for it. This is definetely a mid-range device.

Here's what's out there so far:

1. Pics leaked of the Moto X backplate in various colours.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/First-pics-of-the-Moto-X-backplates-leak_id44884

2. ABC News in America have done an exclusive piece on the Motorola X with loads of info.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/motorola-moto-xs-color-wallpaper-engraving-customized-leaves/story?id=19567319#.UdSExPUX4iz

Finally point 3 and this is the biggie some bloke who's the founder of a blog called Android and Me claims to have exclusive info. on phone stating the phone will contain:

- a MSM960pro system-on-chip
    - 2GB RAM
    - industry-leading battery life.
    - Customization: the phone is said to launch with a choice between metal, plastic, wood and carbon fibre casing.

As well as:

- We should likely see 2 devices (a possible 1080p phablet flagship and its smaller 720p brother) from Motorola by the year's end and Google phones beginning early 2014.
    - The customizable casing materials also mean a solid uni-body. Non-removable battery. Only essential ports.
    - Up to 32 different colours.
    - Motorola does not and will not receive special treatment from Google in terms of Android roll-outs.
    - Google did the design and has 'a lot of say in the product'.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Moto-X-craze-continues-rumors-rumors-rumors_id44848
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    - Customization: the phone is said to launch with a choice between metal, plastic, wood and carbon fibre casing.
    That could make for some interesting technical comparisons,

With phones being near 99% 'kit parts' I guess designer cases are where much of the competition is at.
    I do wonder how many go 'metal'.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it also meant to have Dual LTE MIMO which could be useful if it works well.
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly the Motorola US site is plastered with teaser adverts for the Moto X and a sign-up for information form, whereas the UK site has nothing at all - so maybe they aren't launching it over here?

Sure I read an article recently where Motorola mentioned they aren't looking at the UK as a priority at the moment, will try and dig out the link :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    certainly their early promo push was very much targeted at Americans. Ads timed with July 4 and proudly proclaiming it's designed, engineered and assembled in America.

that being said, I think it unlikely they'll be launching in only one country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    that being said, I think it unlikely they'll be launching in only one country.
    Staggered launches help judge demand and maintain quality.

I recall that Apple's last mega launch lowered quality. Normally they stagger things in far more reducing that risk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours are on it launching next Wednesday or Thursday.

Then again, there are probably equally boring aWatch launnces to arrive soon too.
    Maybe Google Game and a suitable device arrives too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motorola X leaked in all its glory courtesy of Rogers Wireless, a Canadian carrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCucvQ1VuOk&feature=player_embedded

Honestly, nothing to get too excited about. There was all this secrecy, but ultimately imo not a game changer in any shape or form unless we're missing a BIG reveal?

So some features seem to be:

LTE capabilities.
    Semi-transparent on-screen navigation keys.
    Open Mic - an always-on mic for voice commands ala Google Glass.
    Active Updates - part of the screen auto wakes up to show notifications and the clock in standby.
    Camera is launched by twisting your wrist twice.
    No on-screen shutter key, you just touch anywhere on the viewfinder and the camera takes a picture.
    Holding your finger for longer on the screen makes the camera quickly take several snaps in succession.
    The Moto X will launch to market as early as August in select markets in both black and white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm have to wait for more info on this pretty vague so far, but at the mo doesn't look earth shattering but may be ok dependent on price etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nothing massively interesting there. will see how it stacks up vs the Nexus 4 but looks like I'll cross it off my list if those are the highlights....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motorola have officially sent out invitations for the unveiling of the Motorola X phone on 1st August. Less than 2 weeks away and we'll finally see what the fuss is about for this mid-range phone.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it is going to be the customization and software which is the main selling point for this as it really more a S4 mini/HTC one mini in the hardware department.