Options

netflix on sony s570 blu ray player

spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there any way of getting netflix working on a Sony S570 blu ray player?, I have googled to find an answer, and it appears you can, and i have tried to do everything that I have found to do, even from the official Sony website, but too no avail, the Sony website tells you to click on the netflix icon on the blu ray player, get a code and then go to netflix website and register that device, but I cant even get a netflix icon to even appear on my blu ray player, the blu ray player is updated to the latest firmware as far as i know, as it tells me there is no new update when I click on update, I was wondering if Sony have this wonderful thing where you can only have netflix installed on 1 device at a time, as I have it on my ps3?, does anybody have any ideas, I thought I read before that the S570 would not get netflix in the uk, but all information I have read lately seems to suggest I should be able to.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting netflix working on a Sony S570 blu ray player?, I have googled to find an answer, and it appears you can, and i have tried to do everything that I have found to do, even from the official Sony website, but too no avail, the Sony website tells you to click on the netflix icon on the blu ray player, get a code and then go to netflix website and register that device, but I cant even get a netflix icon to even appear on my blu ray player, the blu ray player is updated to the latest firmware as far as i know, as it tells me there is no new update when I click on update, I was wondering if Sony have this wonderful thing where you can only have netflix installed on 1 device at a time, as I have it on my ps3?, does anybody have any ideas, I thought I read before that the S570 would not get netflix in the uk, but all information I have read lately seems to suggest I should be able to.

Thanks

I'm not sure about the S570 but the S370 wouldn't get Netflix due to a DRM requirement that the S370 didn't support..
    I suspect the Sx70 range has the same limitation...
    I think you need a Sx80 range unit or newer for Netflix.
    Netflix moved the goalposts not Sony.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have been able to fathom out reading posts on various Sony support forums is that Netflix is not available on pre-2012 models of their Blu-Ray players. Which I believe includes the BDP-S570.

I did find a Sony US webpage describing how to get Netflix but as far as I can tell that only applies to US models used in the US, not European models used in the UK.

So far then it looks like you can't get Netflix on your player.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    From what I have been able to fathom out reading posts on various Sony support forums is that Netflix is not available on pre-2012 models of their Blu-Ray players. Which I believe includes the BDP-S570.

I did find a Sony US webpage describing how to get Netflix but as far as I can tell that only applies to US models used in the US, not European models used in the UK.

So far then it looks like you can't get Netflix on your player.

My son has the 380 (pre 2012) and they can get Netflix on their player. None of the signing up for a SonyStyle account for codes and registering the device, they just connected via the players browser.

As far as I can see Netflix is available on the 570 but in some what of a round about way.
    Whether you use Wi-Fi or ethernet to link the Sony BDP-S570 to that network, the player offers a cornucopia of video options. You can view Internet video from Amazon Video on Demand, Netflix, YouTube, and a raft of obscure sites devoted to specific topics.

To access Netflix via the Sony BDP-S570, you'll need a Netflix account and a SonyStyle account. The latter account is free, but it's an annoying hoop to have to jump through. As with any such device that offers Netflix, you must log on to Netflix and pick your entertainment on a computer before you can watch it on TV. Using ethernet rather than Wi-Fi improves the streaming image quality.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-peripheral/3223433/sony-bdp-s570-review/
  • Options
    spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    My son has the 380 (pre 2012) and they can get Netflix on their player. None of the signing up for a SonyStyle account for codes and registering the device, they just connected via the players browser.

As far as I can see Netflix is available on the 570 but in some what of a round about way.

I have tried all the sony style account stuff and nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw that as well but everything else I read seemed to contradict it. Certainly everything that I found on the Sony Support forums.

It all seemed to suggest that Netflix isn't supported on the 570. As far as I can work out it is something to do with the DRM that Netflix employ and the processing power of these machines.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    If its like the s370 then if you change the DNS settings to what the likes of Unblock-Us provide and refresh your app list then you'll probably see a Netflix icon appear, but you will only be able access if you have a US Netflix account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw that as well but everything else I read seemed to contradict it. Certainly everything that I found on the Sony Support forums.

It all seemed to suggest that Netflix isn't supported on the 570. As far as I can work out it is something to do with the DRM that Netflix employ and the processing power of these machines.

There's certainly no definitive answer either way and a lot of contradiction as you say.

You could be right in regards to the DRM/processing power.

Could also be worth trying GONZO's suggestion before looking for alternatives, if they don't hold an account for Unblock-Us they can get a weeks free trial and try it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's certainly no definitive answer either way and a lot of contradiction as you say.

You could be right in regards to the DRM/processing power.

Could also be worth trying GONZO's suggestion before looking for alternatives, if they don't hold an account for Unblock-Us they can get a weeks free trial and try it.
    The odd thing is if you go to sony.com (the US version) there is a long webpage explaining exactly how to get Netflix on a 570. But there is absolutely zip all on the sony.co.uk website on the same topic.

So it appears that Netflix is available in the US on US models but not in Europe on European models for whatever reason. And if it is a DRM issue then the implication is that the DRM on US Netflix is less processor intensive than the European version. Or the US players have beefier processors than the European players.

So it would certainly be interesting to see if using some sort of proxy service or the like enables a UK player to access the US Netflix and stream from that. Though not sure how legit doing that would be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The odd thing is if you go to sony.com (the US version) there is a long webpage explaining exactly how to get Netflix on a 570. But there is absolutely zip all on the sony.co.uk website on the same topic.

So it appears that Netflix is available in the US on US models but not in Europe on European models for whatever reason. And if it is a DRM issue then the implication is that the DRM on US Netflix is less processor intensive than the European version. Or the US players have beefier processors than the European players.

So it would certainly be interesting to see if using some sort of proxy service or the like enables a UK player to access the US Netflix and stream from that. Though not sure how legit doing that would be.
    Agree it is very strange.

Using a proxy DNS service is widely used, wouldn't like to guess one way or the other the legality of using these services either. My take on it is, it is down to the company to protect the content they have bought and distribute. There's no theft in copyright because the user is paying for the streaming service, now if l they hacked into Netflix themselves and were getting a free service then that would be different. I actually use the service and know of others that have used it for months/years with no comeback, not heard anything in regards warnings etc, but with anything where there is a grey area there is an element of risk no mater how big or small.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It's not that odd, its just that in the US, Netflix are still supporting older devices using their old streaming system as the majority of users were using these devices when they signed up before the newer system was being used a good year or more before UK Netflix was launched.
    UK Netflix only uses their newer streaming version which uses a different DRM which these players are not compatible with.