Options

"Once upon a time" - From the makers of "Lost".

2»

Comments

• Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    This is why Flashforward failed. It wasn't the worst show ever but it was billed as the next Lost/from the creators of Lost. It was always going to fail.

That is not why FlashForward failed, and it's ludicrous to suggest that's why it was.
  • Options
    The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about OUAT here and not Lost, I really, really enjoyed it. One of the most original new shows I had seen in a long while. Certainly looking forward to next week now.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it lots. This has potential to be good, I think.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Indeed. I don't get the outrage at the ending - it was heavily hinted at from the get-go. "The Third Policeman" "Purgatory" "Underworld". I could go on. And on..
    The Time Travel business is explicable too (especially with the recurring skipping record motif), it plays into why these people had to fulfill a particular 'destiny'.
    I'd better stop before I get into Lost-Complete-Explanation-Synopsis mode.
    ;)

The Island's inspiration?

I agree - it was heavily hinted, but it doesn't make it any less worse, does it? If it's a bad ending - it's a bad ending, not matter how much foreshadowing there was. That's how my old man felt about it anyway haha ;)

By the way, was the Island from LOST really inspired by St. Brendan's Island? Wow, didn't know that. That's interesting. Thanks for that :cool:
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about OUAT here and not Lost, I really, really enjoyed it. One of the most original new shows I had seen in a long while. Certainly looking forward to next week now.

Me too. It's the freshness of this show that really appeals to me. It feels new and different - from anything that I've watched before. Most of the time, when I'm in the midst of watching a TV show - I can't help but compare it to another similar show/movie in my head and notice the similarities between them (e.g. Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek, V and Independence Day etc), but I can't really think of anything to compare to Once Upon a Time.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I liked it....however maybe its just me but I got a vague whiff of soap opera off it

I did love emo red riding hood :D
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was... interesting. It's going to be hard for the writers to keep our interest as we (the audience) know that the kid's story is true, so there's no mystery, we're just waiting for our heroine to join-the-dots... and there will also be an ongoing problem of the "tone" of the series - fantasy dramedy, gothic mystery, off-centre thriller...? It could be any of these, but any sudden lurches from one to the other could be too jarring...

I'm in for a few more episodes though, I certainly can't say it's like everything else out there...
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Just got done watching this and really liked it. Like others have said, it's unlike any other show I've seen. Will definitely be watching this every week.

Oh, and for the Lost fans, did you notice two 'Numbers' moments? The clock in the town was stuck at 8:15, and the Witch/Mayor's house number is 108 :D
  • Options
    dtglayerdtglayer Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    When watching this,I was thinking it would be perfect Christmas viewing.There often shows very similar to this,shown over Christmas.they tend to be 90mins long or mini series.I'm saying this because,I'm not sure this sort of show can sustain a 13 episode season ? Interesting to see if the writers can pull it off ?
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first two episodes but I'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I'm probably just unsophisticated because I immediately took to Grimm and am looking forward to more episodes of that but OUAT leaves me utterly cold. The fairytale parts remind me of afternoon kids TV and the real world parts are, as someone mentioned, daytime soap opera. That little boy is a real talent.

Best of luck to the majority that are loving it, and I hope the writers continue to keep you engaged.
  • Options
    adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I just watched the second episode and didnt want it to end. i think all the characters are interesting. I like the fight scene between Maleficent and the Main bad Woman.
  • Options
    ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was that pam i saw tonight...moonlighting from true blood
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ninz39 wrote: »
    was that pam i saw tonight...moonlighting from true blood

Yeah that was her :D

Really enjoyed the second episode.

as someone has already mentioned I think this type of show would be better suited to a mini series rather than a full on season.

I mean where do you go once they all figure out who they really are?
  • Options
    LeMarchandLeMarchand Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p2bab wrote: »
    Great ratings again
    I'm (pleasantly!) surprised.
    I watched the first two episodes but I'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I'm probably just unsophisticated because I immediately took to Grimm and am looking forward to more episodes of that but OUAT leaves me utterly cold.
    The reason I'm surprised is just that; I thought OUAT was too "odd" to catch on. Myself (based on the pilots), I loved OUAT and thought "Grimm" was amusing but derivative. Like you say, though, each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LeMarchand wrote: »
    I'm (pleasantly!) surprised. The reason I'm surprised is just that; I thought OUAT was too "odd" to catch on. Myself (based on the pilots), I loved OUAT and thought "Grimm" was amusing but derivative. Like you say, though, each to their own.

Grimm is good but its really just another version of supernatural really
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wife and I liked this more than Grimm, it seemed to have higher production values and was certainly better acted.

Loved the fact that Prince Charming (who is never actually given a name in the stories) is "John Doe" on his hospital tag :D

Not entirely sure how well this would carry on past a single season (if that is in fact their plan) because I can see this series leading up to the big reveal but then what? If they stretch the showdown one for season after season I feel the audience would get frustrated.

That said I am intrigued by Rumplestilskin, he seems to have engineered the whole thing from day one. And whilst I can see what he's gained from the curse coming into effect he also seems to have set into motion the curse's downfall, so what's in it for him then? Unless it's just a really elaborate jailbreak :D

By the way which character is the Sherrif meant to be? My best guess is the huntsman, a minion of the Queen sent to kill Snow White who actually spares her life. He certainly has the shaggy haired woodsman look about him :p

(PS - Who knew there was so much cleavage in Fairytale-land. In particular I'm surprised the little blue fairy could fly upright :eek:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I liked both the opening episodes, but then I like the actors - Goodwin, Morrison, Carlyle, so that helps.

I also liked Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, and this show has a similar flavour to those.

Hopefully it will make the most of the full season it has just been given by abc.
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and was somewhat surprised that I liked it. But, I do wonder just how far they can take this show? But, might be interesting to see what happens.