Masters Of Sex (UK Pace) on Channel 4 starts tonight 8th Oct 9pm

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it lacked any substance, and the writing was pretty lazy for an opening episode. Can't imagine I'll stick around for another 11 of them.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Let's see whether the ratings hold up or if people only tuned into the first one out of curiosity.

The 2nd episode got higher ratings than the 1st.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    One of the great lines of modern TV when Beau Bridges, looking at the vibe with attached camera, said "I don't like where this is going"
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’m not sure why but this really doesn’t appeal to me so I haven’t watched it yet. I think I am assuming it’ll be a lot of gratuitous sex and nudity. And I say that as someone who thinks Californication is one of the best comedies of recent years.
    To anyone who has seen both programmes, is Masters of Sex any more explicit that Californication? They are both Showtime programmes. The fact that Channel 4 had this on at 9pm suggests its not as explicit, as Californication can’t be aired until after 10pm in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I’m not sure why but this really doesn’t appeal to me so I haven’t watched it yet. I think I am assuming it’ll be a lot of gratuitous sex and nudity. And I say that as someone who thinks Californication is one of the best comedies of recent years.
    To anyone who has seen both programmes, is Masters of Sex any more explicit that Californication? They are both Showtime programmes. The fact that Channel 4 had this on at 9pm suggests its not as explicit, as Californication can’t be aired until after 10pm in the UK.

There are naked people simulating sex. It's not really gratuitious as it's relating to the storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are naked people simulating sex. It's not really gratuitious as it's relating to the storylines.

So considering that anything the BBFC would certify ‘18’ rated shouldn’t generally be aired on television before 10pm, was anyone surprised that Channel 4 scheduled this for 9pm? Is the programmes content typical of a ‘15’ rated film rather than an ‘18’ rated film?
    As I said above, another Showtime programme, Californication, has to be aired after 10pm due to its strong sexual content and language, so I was surprised Channel 4 put this in a 9pm slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So considering that anything the BBFC would certify ‘18’ rated shouldn’t generally be aired on television before 10pm, was anyone surprised that Channel 4 scheduled this for 9pm? Is the programmes content typical of a ‘15’ rated film rather than an ‘18’ rated film?
    As I said above, another Showtime programme, Californication, has to be aired after 10pm due to its strong sexual content and language, so I was surprised Channel 4 put this in a 9pm slot.

No. It's 2013 and 9pm is considered the watershed. Not sure if this show would be classified as 18 rated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's 2013 and 9pm is considered the watershed. Not sure if this show would be classified as 18 rated.

But there does appear to be an ‘unofficial’ 10pm watershed.

Have you ever heard the C word before 10pm?
    It’s well known that most ‘18’ rated films are edited if they are broadcast at 9pm rather than 10pm.
    And Ofcom are more lenient with what’s broadcast after 10pm than they are at 9pm, just read some of their monthly bulletins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But there does appear to be an ‘unofficial’ 10pm watershed.

Have you ever heard the C word before 10pm?
    It’s well known that most ‘18’ rated films are edited if they are broadcast at 9pm rather than 10pm.
    And Ofcom are more lenient with what’s broadcast after 10pm than they are at 9pm, just read some of their monthly bulletins.

Well I guess they don't think this show falls into that category.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it and watched the next one. I don't think its gratuitous as its part of the story line - they studied sex. I quite like the characters be interesting to see what happens to the wife.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant! Grown up, not gratuitous at all. Although I have a massive crush on Lizzy Caplin and loved her boobs ever since I saw them on True Blood! So more sex scenes with her please!!

I am interested to see how it pans out with the wife, as it isn't her fault they're not conceiving is it? But she thinks it's her? I reckon the other doctor will see Michael Sheen getting closer to Lizzy Caplin's character and then have sex with his wife - then she'll get pregnant.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Also, don't google the real life characters or you'll get major spoilers.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Oops, I started a thread in TV UK, but redirected it here.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/press-packs/masters-of-sex

C4's Real Sex season has been - er - weird, but this is from the Showtime stable, and stars Michael Sheen and Lizzie Caplan as William Masters & Virginia Masters, the pioneers of research into human sexuality. It intertwines their research and their private lives in an interesting way.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/masters-of-sex

Review from opening in the States a couple of weeks ago
    http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2013/10/07/131007crte_television_nussbaum

Scored 85 on Metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/tv/masters-of-sex
    You can say that again!!!:eek:

I was very uncomfortable in the way the 'research' took them.....well at least in how I think it will take them.

She was called Johnson not Masters...do you know something I don't?

I thought Lizzy Kaplan was excellent in it......Michael Sheen didn't disappoint either.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good. Very entertaining, love the period look. I don't think it was gratuitous as the majority of the sex scenes took place in a lab or as scientific experiments, and they formed part of the plot line. Unlike Game of Thrones...
  • barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they'd increased the sleaze factor and add a few musical numbers it could have been the work of Dennis Potter. I half expected to see a Lipstick on your Collar style Roy Hudd appear.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I liked it although it'll be interesting should it get further seasons how they develop the story since the study was over a long period.

It was interesting that Beau Bridges and Margo Martindale are both in Masters of Sex as recurring characters as both star in The Millers.

Margo Martindale was also in The Americans this year as well, she must be a very busy lady!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since she won the emmy for Justified, Margo Matindale has become a regular fixture in television shows.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since she won the emmy for Justified, Margo Matindale has become a regular fixture in television shows.

The irony here is that not only has she been in films, Margo Martindale has been on people's television screens for a long time. Now that she's won her Emmy, people are recognizing her. I wonder if people who saw The Riches remember her in it? ;)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping - on air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

If Sky Atlantic can air the ultraviolent and sex filled Game of Thrones at 9PM, I think Channel 4 might be able to swing it.

The show is called "Masters of Sex" for Pete's sake, if anybody complains about sexual content. They should be shot or taken to primary school and given literacy lessons...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The prostitute/ secretary is so funny. She reminds me of Judy Holliday. Was the buxom blonde actress playing one of the prostitutes in The Nanny?
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the most interesting aspects of this programme is the sadly ignorant attitude people had about sex in that era. That young doctor is a horrible specimen - he fancies himself in love with a woman because she gives him great blowjobs, yet when she turns him down she's slapped & called a ****. On the whole, the men are not acquitting themselves very well so far! :rolleyes:

Nice to hear a bit of James Blake played at the end there.....:)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prostitute/ secretary is so funny. She reminds me of Judy Holliday. Was the buxom blonde actress playing one of the prostitutes in The Nanny?

She does. :D
  • Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    The irony here is that not only has she been in films, Margo Martindale has been on people's television screens for a long time. Now that she's won her Emmy, people are recognizing her. I wonder if people who saw The Riches remember her in it? ;)
    Yes, I do, thats where I first saw here.

Thought she was good, but not excellent. Justified changed my mind on that.

Darn that writers strike, might have had The Riches continue
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on series record and will watch the episodes when a word on a season 2 is given
    I really like Michael Sheen so he is the main attraction on why i want to see it.

Never keen on Michael Sheen probably because I always think of Tony BLiar when I see him, the danger of playing a living person.