An idea if they find all the missing episodes

David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
Forum Member
What if they make DVD boxsets for each Doctor from The Classic era featuring all their stories for example

1st Doctor Boxset
2nd Doctor Boxset
3rd Doctor Boxset
4th Doctor Boxset
5th Doctor Boxset
6th Doctor Boxset
7th Doctor Boxset
I wouldn't give the 8th Doctor a Boxset since he only has one movie

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »
    What if they make DVD boxsets for each Doctor from The Classic era featuring all their stories for example

1st Doctor Boxset
    2nd Doctor Boxset
    3rd Doctor Boxset
    4th Doctor Boxset
    5th Doctor Boxset
    6th Doctor Boxset
    7th Doctor Boxset
    As far as I am aware barring Patrick Troughton and possibly some of William Hartnell's stories I believe all the stories from the other Doctors remain intact if damaged over the years from aging.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »

1st Doctor Boxset
    2nd Doctor Boxset
    3rd Doctor Boxset
    4th Doctor Boxset
    5th Doctor Boxset
    6th Doctor Boxset
    7th Doctor Boxset

Sets by season wouldn't be bad either. :)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once all seasons have been released separately then all doctor boxsets they should do upscaling to BluRay then an all classics boxset including 8th Doctor.

there is already a new who boxset up to series 7 on BluRay so that's not needed again unless they did everything up to Time of The Doctor!
    I'm sure that it would cost a bomb at fist but if all episodes were compiled for season by season then doctor by doctor it wouldn't be hard to do a 'just the shows' bumper boxset from the start to Time of on DVD and BluRay.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would just release them individually again.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Once all seasons have been released separately then all doctor boxsets they should do upscaling to BluRay then an all classics boxset including 8th Doctor.

Blu-ray sales are not what they should be so I doubt we`ll see classic Who season sets. Maybe the odd classic story (as they`ve done with Spearhead) but I doubt they`ll be many of these even. The world is moving away from physical media.
  • StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're more likely to release them individually first... then as season box sets.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time they get round to having released all the missing episodes separately I wouldn't be surprised if big massive complete doctor sets weren't financially viable anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Blu-ray sales are not what they should be so I doubt we`ll see classic Who season sets. Maybe the odd classic story (as they`ve done with Spearhead) but I doubt they`ll be many of these even. The world is moving away from physical media.

I still prefer physical media unless its on my Sky box or you tube but still DVD or BluRay is much better no DOGs on the picture or (in the case of youtube) not heavily compressed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still prefer physical media....

Me too but you can`t watch a BR (or a DVD) on an iPhone/iPad.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a better idea if they find all the missing episodes.

Party for the next 50 years!!!!!

:D :kitty: :cool: :o:D:p ;-) :D
  • nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they could hide a few of the ones we've had for AGES, just for a change?
  • iamthemasteriamthemaster Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I thought I found The Macra Terror down the back of my sofa, but it was just a couple of crab sticks I'd dropped
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spearhead is an exception because it was the only story actually recorded in HD. They didn't upscale it or anything it was just a straight up print. I doubt that they would bother upscaling the other stories in any case; a blu-ray player upscales DVDs automatically when it plays them and considering the cost of producing BR versions and releasing them for each story, I don't think it would be financially viable for them. Most everyone who wants to collect Classic Who has already gotten part, if not all of the collection on DVD. Why restart it for the sake of something that my player itself can do?
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Spearhead is an exception because it was the only story actually recorded in HD. They didn't upscale it or anything it was just a straight up print. I doubt that they would bother upscaling the other stories in any case; a blu-ray player upscales DVDs automatically when it plays them and considering the cost of producing BR versions and releasing them for each story, I don't think it would be financially viable for them. Most everyone who wants to collect Classic Who has already gotten part, if not all of the collection on DVD. Why restart it for the sake of something that my player itself can do?

Two notes:

1. They upscaled Pyramids of Mars and put it out on Blu-Ray, so they will do this occasionally.

"The story first came out on VHS and Betamax in an omnibus format in February 1985. It was subsequently released in episodic format in February 1994. It was released on DVD in the United Kingdom on 1 March 2004. It was also released on 31 October 2011 as an extra on The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 DVD and Blu-Ray boxset as a tribute to Elisabeth Sladen who had died earlier in the year.[9]"

2. There is reason for the old episodes to be release on Blu-Ray in the US market. We have the NTSC format for our pre-HD video. It is 580 lines. All of 70's and 80's Doctor who (and maybe '69) was recorded in PAL which has 640 lines. Thus the US market would see a higher quality of video since we would actually have a higher resolution video transfer (not simply "upscaled" by our Blu-Ray players which is an inferior result). Is this enough to make it happen, probably not, but it would be nice.

I just want them to finish the classic series by finding them (or animating whatever missing episodes that they cannot find) and releasing everything on DVD so that I, and others, can complete my collection. :)

Don't give up on physical media until everything has been released, please. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too but you can`t watch a BR (or a DVD) on an iPhone/iPad.

no but thats why you get the digital rights with the BRD or DVD so you have both and can use a tablet, or a BRD drive that could connect with a tablet and play BRDs and DVDs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyingy wrote: »
    Maybe they could hide a few of the ones we've had for AGES, just for a change?

Not if they have already released them on DVD/BluRay!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Two notes:

1. They upscaled Pyramids of Mars and put it out on Blu-Ray, so they will do this occasionally.

"The story first came out on VHS and Betamax in an omnibus format in February 1985. It was subsequently released in episodic format in February 1994. It was released on DVD in the United Kingdom on 1 March 2004. It was also released on 31 October 2011 as an extra on The Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 DVD and Blu-Ray boxset as a tribute to Elisabeth Sladen who had died earlier in the year.[9]"

2. There is reason for the old episodes to be release on Blu-Ray in the US market. We have the NTSC format for our pre-HD video. It is 580 lines. All of 70's and 80's Doctor who (and maybe '69) was recorded in PAL which has 640 lines. Thus the US market would see a higher quality of video since we would actually have a higher resolution video transfer (not simply "upscaled" by our Blu-Ray players which is an inferior result). Is this enough to make it happen, probably not, but it would be nice.

I just want them to finish the classic series by finding them (or animating whatever missing episodes that they cannot find) and releasing everything on DVD so that I, and others, can complete my collection. :)

I totally agree, the upscaling on Classic Who for countries that historically have/had NTSC is important and if its been done there it might as well be released over here like that too!
    I suppose they will have to slow it down to 24fps and then the player can sort that to 60Hz for those that need it, but in the 50Hz countries I hope it would be kept at 50Hz else it would seem odd!

It would also mean that it could be upscaled at better quality than on the fly, on the fly is OK, but if its not done on the fly it could be very good quality!

Also the edges of the picture could be cleaned up, as they could look a bit fuzzy when seen with no overscan, as leftovers from where it was created in the analogue domain.

So plenty of reasons that a new BluRay upscaled versions are a good idea, also Im sure one day they will stop DVD releases (when BluRay players are so cheap that DVD plays are no longer saleable), then it might actually seem profitable to release all content on BluRay!
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Most everyone who wants to collect Classic Who has already gotten part, if not all of the collection on DVD. Why restart it for the sake of something that my player itself can do?
    Indeed. The upgrade in picture quality would be so negligible that it would only be of interest to a small section of the niche market that buys Classic Who DVDs. A niche within a niche, so to speak.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Two notes:

Pyramid was not upscaled on the s4 Sarah Jane box set. It was the same sd encode and master as was on the pyramid dvd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimate Dalek/Cybermen Box Set.

Contains every Dalek/Cybermen story ever released (up until the point of release anyway).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no but thats why you get the digital rights with the BRD or DVD so you have both and can use a tablet, or a BRD drive that could connect with a tablet and play BRDs and DVDs?

But you don`t always get the digital rights, especially with TV releases. With major movies on DVD/BR it`s practically obilgatory these days but anyone waiting for season sets of classic Who on BR with accompanying digital copies is going to be deeply disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you don`t always get the digital rights, especially with TV releases. With major movies on DVD/BR it`s practically obilgatory these days but anyone waiting for season sets of classic Who on BR with accompanying digital copies is going to be deeply disappointed.

I Know its not at the moment, but they could make digital rights mandatory with all new DVD/BD releases, weather thats on the disk or through a website like flixter.
    They could make the rights SD or HD based on which type you buy on the physical media with upscaled content only being SD as a digital copy anyway.