Little Mix new Video for "Touch" sees LM go from girls to women.

2»

Comments

• mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video for this song is unnecessarily over-sexualized, and sets a terrible example to young girls. They are 8 year olds who follow this group, and people wonder why children grow up too quickly these days! And if it's an attempt to break America, they could start by writing a better song. This one is frankly, cr*p. You don't have to over-sexualize yourself to break America anyway- does Taylor Swift prance around in skimpy leotards and twerk over topless men? ('Shake it Off' excepted, as it's clearly satire) What's so bad about a 'squeaky clean' image anyway? Adele has a squeaky clean image (admittedly she does seem to have mild tourrettes!) and she isn't doing too badly. And she writes good songs! She's a far better role model for young girls IMO than Little Mix.

Are Little Mix the primary role models for 8 year olds? What about parents, siblings and peers? Soap operas, TV series and social media, do they not have an influence? When every teenager has a mobile phone and access to the internet, it's a bit rich to land all the world's ills on a girl group who have often talked about girl power.

And what do you want mid-20s girls to sing about? They have been singing about relationships ( and sex is part of relationships is it not?) for a few years.

Oh, and I'm sure the satirical nature of Taylor Swift's 'Shake it off' is well understood by the average 8 year old. Her tendency to turn all her relationships into ridicule is also educational?

As I said above, it's ok for a guy Ike Bieber to adorn his videos with sexual imagery but dare a bunch of mid-20s girls do it, the thought police turn up. Double standards again?
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    As I said above, it's ok for a guy Ike Bieber to adorn his videos with sexual imagery but dare a bunch of mid-20s girls do it, the thought police turn up. Double standards again?

Who said that was ok, its exactly the same. I bet there was a similar posts around about Beiber going from a boy to a man.
  • Janie ParadiseJanie Paradise Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    They have got to be the blandest Girl Band ever, even this attempt to sex it up is boring. Usually a couple of members of these type of bands have a bit of a personally, not these though - basically they are the Westlife of girlbands.

And Bieber doesn't get critism? What part of the internet do you exist in?
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah Atomic Kitten and The Saturdays were much blander
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I don't like it. It looks cheap and tacky

Sums it up, And them tbh, They are the least interesting girl group ever and they do music that S Club juniors would be ashamed of
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even Vanilla had more going for them talent-wise than the manufactured and packaged-in-plastic Little Mix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have got to be the blandest Girl Band ever, even this attempt to sex it up is boring. Usually a couple of members of these type of bands have a bit of a personally, not these though - basically they are the Westlife of girlbands.

And Bieber doesn't get critism? What part of the internet do you exist in?

Check out the comments on Bieber's video for 'What do you mean?' compared to 'Touch', that's the part of the web (not the internet) I mean. I don't see the role model criticism there, do you?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think anyone has said it's OK for Bieber to do it.

There's this strange obsession in the pop world that says growing up equals taking your clothes off and singing about sex.

Quite frankly, I can't think of a more immature attitude to take towards growing up! There are plenty of bands and artists out there in the same age group who sing about meaningful, relevant topics, without needing to strip down to their undies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

There's this strange obsession in the pop world that says growing up equals taking your clothes off and singing about sex.

Quite frankly, I can't think of a more immature attitude to take towards growing up! There are plenty of bands and artists out there in the same age group who sing about meaningful, relevant topics, without needing to strip down to their undies.

Pop music IS the place where you can sing about sex and unrequited love. And you can dress in more way out ways than you ever could in most other jobs in the modern world.
    So, it's not a strange obsession at all. What does Rock n' Roll really mean?

I'm guessing there are many posters here who would have been pro putting the little parental advisory stickers on Judas Priest records. :)

It's funny I actually agree with you, I think that teenagers have a more mature attitude to sex than their parents.
  • MrcJnsMrcJns Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I agree it looks cheap.

You can see all the joins in the wallpaper, the shots often get that awful CGI sky in (looking like it was accidentally and fixed in editing), the CGI in general is bad and the sliming down of her waist that make the walls bend and move is ridiculous. It's clearly made by some students as a way to get some more attention, no way did a professional team work on this.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member

Agreed. what the hell are they wearing

They have great voices and songs but their video's often let them down
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hope Perrie's corsage & hoodie combo doesn't become a trend. :D

I like the song, the video is alright- tbh I've seen it all before, although the dancing at the end where they were rutting on the floor made me laugh unintentionally.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

Do people protest when Bieber tries to act sexy, call him a bad role model or slag him off for looking cheap because he dared to show off his body?

People get so worked up over women showing body parts in music videos, yet they seem to pay little attention when men do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrcJns wrote: »
    I agree it looks cheap.

You can see all the joins in the wallpaper, the shots often get that awful CGI sky in (looking like it was accidentally and fixed in editing), the CGI in general is bad and the sliming down of her waist that make the walls bend and move is ridiculous. It's clearly made by some students as a way to get some more attention, no way did a professional team work on this.

Here's the behind the scenes video...
    https://youtu.be/54MkYPXioEM
    not sure why the lines move because Jesy looks fine on this. The makers look professional enough to me.
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Do people protest when Bieber tries to act sexy, call him a bad role model or slag him off for looking cheap because he dared to show off his body?

People get so worked up over women showing body parts in music videos, yet they seem to pay little attention when men do it.

Absolutely agree.
    Forum Member
    Check out the comments on Bieber's video for 'What do you mean?' compared to 'Touch', that's the part of the web (not the internet) I mean. I don't see the role model criticism there, do you?

It simple really. Fickle teenage girls. Both these acts are aiming at that market, and teen girls fancy Bieber so have no problem with him looking sexy, stripping off. However they look at girl bands as role models - so they'd rather see them being more that just acting like slags.

Outside of his teen fan base I think you'll find a lot of people loathe Beiber and think he's a immature pillock - it's just these people aren't likely to go and watch his video's and post these thoughts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It simple really. Fickle teenage girls. Both these acts are aiming at that market, and teen girls fancy Bieber so have no problem with him looking sexy, stripping off. However they look at girl bands as role models - so they'd rather see them being more that just acting like slags.

Outside of his teen fan base I think you'll find a lot of people loathe Beiber and think he's a immature pillock - it's just these people aren't likely to go and watch his video's and post these thoughts.

Yeah, some truth in that girls tend to peer judgement more than boys. That is, that girls/women are as complicit in this double standard thing as males.

Note though that many of the negative comments on the 'Touch' video are from boys rather than girls. And I'm not sure about the age profile.

Bieber's video is at least made sexy by teenage/youngish girls appearing in them. So do the teenage girls watching the Bieber video not relate to the girls who appear in it? Or do they only have eyes for him?

I also think that 'Touch' is aimed at increasingly older section of the Little Mix audience and they do not appear as 'slags' in that video (or any other). And to be fair, the comments are a mixed bag the positive ones outweighing the negative ones.
  • tivtiv Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video for this song is unnecessarily over-sexualized, and sets a terrible example to young girls. They are 8 year olds who follow this group, and people wonder why children grow up too quickly these days! And if it's an attempt to break America, they could start by writing a better song. This one is frankly, cr*p. You don't have to over-sexualize yourself to break America anyway- does Taylor Swift prance around in skimpy leotards and twerk over topless men? ('Shake it Off' excepted, as it's clearly satire) What's so bad about a 'squeaky clean' image anyway? Adele has a squeaky clean image (admittedly she does seem to have mild tourrettes!) and she isn't doing too badly. And she writes good songs! She's a far better role model for young girls IMO than Little Mix.

Amen to that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope that when those girls grow up, they realise that girls are not acting like "slags" for simply wearing a certain outfit and dancing.

Honestly, we don't need to have sex to be "slags" these days. A virgin could wear something short to twerk in and suddenly, she'll be a slag.

Meanwhile, men will continue to sing about all the hoes and bitches they've slept with, while getting away with going topless in videos.
    Forum Member
    I hope that when those girls grow up, they realise that girls are not acting like "slags" for simply wearing a certain outfit and dancing.

Honestly, we don't need to have sex to be "slags" these days. A virgin could wear something short to twerk in and suddenly, she'll be a slag.

Meanwhile, men will continue to sing about all the hoes and bitches they've slept with, while getting away with going topless in videos.

I don't think you understand what the word 'acting' means.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you understand what the word 'acting' means.

I do actually, but thank you for being condescending :)

When it comes to **** shaming, there isn't a huge difference between saying someone is or someone is acting like, a slag. It's just sexism, plain and simple.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe there is no mention what so ever on here to the Video from Little Mix for Touch. It's extremely raunchy and sexy and the girls are no longer those innocent girls that won that taken show all those years agof. The ladies are well and truly shredding squeaky clean image and are cleary aiming for a much wider audience.
    Just out of interest, how old are you?
    Forum Member
    I do actually, but thank you for being condescending :)

When it comes to **** shaming, there isn't a huge difference between saying someone is or someone is acting like, a slag. It's just sexism, plain and simple.

Oh Really. Interesting.