widescreen movies

dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do i lose the letterbox look when i am watching the movies on sky+

Comments

• firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Ensure you only watch movies broadcast on ITV.

The sky movie channels & Channel 4 (usually) broadcast films in the same aspect ratio that the director & cinematographer intended. (Then spoil it by yakking all over the end credits).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use the TV's aspect ratio switching to chop off bits of the picture until you are satisfied with the butchered image you are left with:cry:
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy one of these

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/3087

It will do the trick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy one of these

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/3087

It will do the trick.

Then the issue of vertical pillar boxing for perhaps 90% of the programming around will be the next bugbear:)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote: »
    Then the issue of vertical pillar boxing for perhaps 90% of the programming around will be the next bugbear:)

Agreed.

I'd love a 21:9 screen as a second set, purely for watching movies (which I really cannot financially justify right now), but I don't think I could live with it for everyday viewing.

Need to get my hands on one and have a play with the AR settings, see what the results are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I don't see the sense of those 21:9 displays. Even if wou watch cinemascope movies you'll always have to zoom into the picture manually which will finally not end in an improvement of picture quality, the whole HD advantages are away!

And yes, anything else will have bars on either side. I just imagine people streching 4:3 content to full screen on that TV. haha :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to Philips they needed the PR and it did create a buzz if nothing else.