Not saying thankyou for presents sent - particularly children

chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
Forum Member
Maybe it's old fashioned, but if I receive a gift from someone I say thank you.

And most people now have a mobile phone, so a text only takes seconds to send, unlike in the olden days when a thank you note had to be written and posted.

And you don't even have to do any acting if you didn't actually like the gift received because they can't see your face when you text.

So..........why don't people say thank you any more?
And is it curmudgeonly to be slightly miffed when people [especially kids] don't say thanks?

I don't give prezzies so as to get a prezzie in return. But I do think a thank you is polite, and to not thank is rude.

Do others agree?
:confused:

[I just wanted to rant, really. Thanks for listening.]

Comments

• MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I would always ask my kids to write a note of thanks to whoever gave them a gift...nowadays they phone the person (well with the birthdays) with christmas it's always when somebody phones to wish u a merry christmas on the day or ask how your christmas went that the kids will say 'oh and thanks for the gifts' my 2 youngest are teenagers too so getting anything polite out of them is a bonus :)
  • TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Newly married couples seem to be the biggest culprits. Wedding presents are generally pretty substantial, yet the "happy couple" often seem to think that wedding invitations are somehow their thank-you in advance.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is extremely bad form.

I was always brought up to say thank you for Christmas/Birthday gifts. I still write Thank you letters to people, even now :/
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Children simply don't think, that's all. I'd rather a child thanked me without being told than being ordered to say the "magic words".
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite strict about my kids saying thank you. I would make sure I bought them a card making kit for christmas, & get them to make thank you cards.
    They are pretty good at saying thanks nowdays.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newly married couples seem to be the biggest culprits. Wedding presents are generally pretty substantial, yet the "happy couple" often seem to think that wedding invitations are somehow their thank-you in advance.

Absolutely! Or they send round a general email to everyone saying 'thank you all for your wonderful gifts' without actually thanking anyone individually.
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Then I will send all your kids prezzies next year instead of my family's lot.

:D

I have decided that their parents have spoiled them so much that they are ungrateful.

So if they can't be bothered to say thanks, I can't be bothered to spend time choosing, buying, wrapping and sending prezzies.

I'll give to a charity instead.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, it makes me so cross I send to my nieces kids she has three and we speak pretty regularly but I never get t thanks from her children. Her brother always either sends a lovely note very short but apt telling me a little bit about the child probably a 2 minute job but appreciated or a private note on facebook, I would have put money on my niece being the one to write though. His eldest is now old enough to send a hand made note which is lovely.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 15 year old son has just finished all his thankyou letters.
    He has wrote letters from first being able to write his name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some folk have good manners and instill these in their kids, others do not. They might send thank you cards if folk stop giving them gifts due to their lack of acknowledgement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I intend to send thank you letters by post, albeit a bit late, but I haven't had much time of late. :o
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if the child thinks their presents came from Santa?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids not saying thank you is annoying, but ATEOTD they tend to get their Ps and Qs (or lack of them) from their parents. I had adult family members round on Boxing Day and, even after I thanked them first for their gifts, could not manage to reciprocate. The sad thing is that I knew they wouldn't. I don't think they're un-grateful - in fact, one of them actually made a point of saying how useful my gift to them was - I just think that, as with the L and S words, some people seem incapable of saying anything that maybe they perceive as being 'weak'.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always used to take a photo of my children with the gifts they'd been given from whichever relative (making sure they looked delighted, of course;)) then send the photo with a hand-written thank you note. Now they are all older, I take a photo of all of them together on Christmas day, print it out A4 size and get them all to scrawl a personal note on the back - their grandparents and aunts and uncles seem to appreciate it, and it's a habit now, I don't have to nag them into doing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »

Does that happen though?

If aunty mable in Morecombe sends you £20 or a selection box through the post, surely parents say it is from Aunty mable and not Santa?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they just forgot - what with all the excitement and distractions of Christmas.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 18 and 16 year old lads have received money through the post for Christmas and they will be writing thank you's next week. I have insisted they do it for every gift that comes through the post when they can't thank in person. They do moan about having to do it though, as it often means they write 5 letters each. But it always gets done and that's how it should be.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that happen though?

If aunty mable in Morecombe sends you £20 or a selection box through the post, surely parents say it is from Aunty mable and not Santa?

It can. Some relatives of mine send me money for my daughter and ask me to buy her a gift. They have no interest in her knowing it is from them as they know she still believes.

Of course I thank them on her behalf.

I know of friends whose families do the same.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my son is half way through the two lots he does as his birthday is just before Christmas. I make him say a personal on the phone thank you to close relatives and notes for everyone else.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am always so pleased when somebody gives me a present (at any time of the year) that I never fail to ring and thank them. I also made sure my own children always thanked people for gifts.

A friend of mine admired something I had made and asked me to make her one. There was a lot of work in it so I said I'd think about it. I then realised it was her birthday in a couple of weeks so I set to and made her one as a birthday surprise.

That was nearly 3 months ago and she has never thanked me yet! I think that's really rude after all the effort I put in.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek:
    Good point :confused:
    Forum Member
    Awww this is nice that you all still thank people for giving you a prezzie.

It's just making me even more annoyed with my family though.

But it's making more determined not to buy for them in future.

Glad its not just me who gets annoyed when there are no thank you's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been sent a thank you card in years.

But I haven't had a present from outside the family in years.
    Forum Member

That's different. My gift tags to children who still believe would say 'from Santa.'

The children in my family are all well past that age.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our eldest grandchildren are dreadful. Never even say thank you when the gift is given and certainly never write, email, text or leave wall message afterwards. Sometimes it really upsets me.

Fortunately the youngest two are just the opposite. Thank us for helping Santa to get presents to them at Christmas and without fail will send us a beautifully penned little notes after Christmas or their respective birthdays.

I often wonder how our two children can be so different with their own. Maybe my son loathed being made to write the notes so much that he refused to make his children do it, but it really is so much easier now isn't it?